My Trading Log

Post 409 is MacGyver’s orginal description of it, and post 425 has my trading plan for the forward testing I’m starting.

Sure, no problem.
Obviously there are a few ways of doing it but one option could be to use a script to start the trade, which gives it a magic order number and then the EA can recognise which trades to work with. The EA will need to have a cut off point for when to stop creating new orders, any move to break even points, etc. …oh…also needs to be able to calculate risk according to account balance.

I have re-read it, but didn’t really understand what’s going on…hmmmmm,

didn’t understand this part…

wait a min!! breaking them down into steps…

1. identify a OSP_Buy, example, 1.50, SL = 1.50 - 3 pips
  2. place order, OSP_Buy with a stop loss of 3 pips
  3. check if order hit by stop loss
  4. if order hit by stop loss, repeat step 2 until 10 tries is used up?

Phil838, if what I interpreted is corrected, I could extend the functionalities of Position Sizer EA.zip here to do it?

http://forums.babypips.com/133505-post986.html

[ Setup ]

• user to set “number of times to try”, “% to risk”, “buffer”, “SL in pips” in EA
  • when EA is launched, there is a line for the user to move to his ideal pending buy/sell
  • user re-positions the line, and activiate the EA (by deleting the label?)
  • label changed to “EA Activated”

a) if current price is less than price of the line, Buy trigger, else Sell trigger
b) trigger price + buffer + spread (do we need to include spread for sell?)
c) check if the closing price of the previous 30 mins bar is more than the buy trigger price. If yes, do step e.
d) Check if the user wants want us to stop, if no, do step C
e) so closing price of 30 mins is more than our trigger + buffer + spread
f) send in order to buy at market with stop loss as specified
g) number of tries + 1
h) check if the order has been hit by stop loss, if it’s hit by stop loss and number of tries did not exceed user specify, do step C
i) change label to “EA deactivated”

http://forums.babypips.com/140108-post409.html
http://forums.babypips.com/140206-post425.html

I see there are many posts, I’ll answer them tonight when I get home after work and gym.

I’m one step ahead of you. I’ve already modifed that exact EA into what I need. :slight_smile:

I didn’t put too much work into it yet (everything is hard coded and the coding is sloppy), and I suggest you don’t either. We need to figure out what’s best rule-wise for this system, then work on a proper EA.

My crappy one will work for my testing purposes. :slight_smile:

It just clicked in my brain that MacGyver’s original description of the system is using 4H swing highs/lows to trade reversals that go in the direction of the trend (James16 style). My original interpreation of what he said was using 4H swing highs/lows to trade continuations (NickB style).

I’m going to go ahead and test it both ways. :slight_smile:

A clever trick is move not just the SL, but the entire “trigger line” to cover the SL.

This can be done pretty aggressively after maybe 15 pips or so. That way many of the would be losers turn into BE instead.

When choosing the absolute best setups, that means that I would really like to give it a chance and so, these are just thoughts, I might be willing to bend the risk rule and risk as much as 3-4% perhaps combined with just 0.2% risk per trade. Expecting some BE trades, that would likely give us somewhere around 20 tries before we call it quits.

There are many posts and I haven’t read them all through, hope this hasn’t been said by someone already.

I started trading live in march I think it was and before that I had been demoing and learning since something like spring/summer 2008.

From my experience, 8 trades may actually be too little.

I agree that 5 pips is about as low as you can go on IBFX, which in itself is a problem since every pip has a major effect on the $ per pip value.

I don’t want you to lose money over my crazy ideas Phil, so please be very careful and conservative.

When I’ve been looking at this I’ve come to realize that in order for this to be worth it, we need to use it only on the A+++ setups.

Ideally we want the trade have the potential to be able to run for many hundreds of pips, but at least 150-200 I’d say.

I guess the number one criteria should be to only take setups that offer us the chance to get onboard a major daily trend. To borrow the words from James16: we have to be very picky.

Yes, but there may certainly be ways to improve this. I’m following your efforts with great interest.

I’ve tried many ways of deciding where to put the entry line. The only thing I’m sure of is that we want to AVOID placing it right at strong S/R levels or round numbers, since price will whip back and forth a lot here, causing many losers.

So, unusually, we’d want to place the line at a place where price tends to “blow through”. Easier said than done to find that level. James16 style is in my head, so that’s what I went with.

Yes, that will probably reduce the losers substantially, but unfortunately it will also reduce the $/pip value a lot and in an essence, that’s what it’s all about.

Didn’t think of that actually! Sure, why not!

Would be interesting to scroll back through a bunch of these setups and test how different SL sizes affect the number of losers keeping the $/pip value constant.

This is why collaboration is great, I hadn’t thought of that. I should have!

I’m going to look into that if you guys don’t beat me to it, I won’t have time until next weekend due to work.

I agree, the key to this is the large $/pip value. :slight_smile:

It allows you the possibility of making very large returns with little risk. Looking back in my charts I’m seeing a lot of trades that would have made 20% or more on a 2% risk.

For every extra pip you add on to the stoploss you’re significantly dropping the payoff on a system like this. And the only real reason to try and reduce the losers is to help with the trader’s emotions anyway, because the math says you can make money at this with a very low win rate.

I’m more interested in doing what makes the most money, not what makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside… :slight_smile:

Absolutely, for the warm and fuzzy part we have cats and wives etc :smiley:

I think the best way to reduce the attempts isn’t to change the stoploss/max number of trades, but to work on refining the entries.

What if instead of entering after every SL after the first 30S (or M1 on MT4) candle closes above your entry line, you did it like this.

First Entry: Enter immediately after price crosses your entry.

Repeat Entries: If you get stopped out don’t reenter right away, but wait for the original entry condition to be met again.

Here’s an example from a couple days ago…

That’s just a random example I picked. Not all will take off after 2 attempts, but it seems that 5 or less is pretty common! And the losers typically don’t take up all your attempts either! Usually it’s 5 or so losers and then price just goes off in the other direction, so you hardly ever lose your entire 2%. This has the added bonus of making it safer if you wanted to risk more than 2%.

Funny you should say that, since I have a cat sitting in my lap right now. :smiley: