My trading system not performing well

I created a trading system with 3 strategies, did some backtesting with historical data since 2010 and the results were pretty good. but in live account it’s not performing that good . is it me or I’ll need to tweak the system? I don’t know what to do now.

@achirima96,

How long have you been using the system that you tested in a live account?

KC

How much trade? Listen; don’t judge any trading system by only 50-100 back testing!

I thought @achirima96, the OP, went back to 2010? Do you think he should go further?

I don’t know how to do automated backtesting in MT4.

KC

Just search on YouTube; there have so many tutorials on there! Although, back testing on mt4 is a limited service; you’ll not get 100% advance service in mt4.

What is your strategy?

Have you tried backtesting with different values of main elements?
Its quite difficult to give advice without understanding of particular situation, but the main idea is that you should test each element one by one.

By the way, which tool do you use for backtesting? As for me, the most comfortable is Forex Tester, but I`ve heared there are several other tools with similar functionality.

Here; 3 strategies means 3 trading tools only or you made a trading system by 3 different trading strategies?

my advice is you have to take a break.

1 Like
  1. What’s your data accuracy in your backtests? 2. Let me tell you markets have changed since 2016, look at changes in volatility people have been saying volatility died since then so volatility, but volatility has been picking up lately 3. Automated/mechanical systems have difficulty adjusting to unexpected news like Trump tweets and China push back.

Then try with multiple trading pairs (practice) then judge your trading skill once again.

And were you tested that on demo account before ? I mean where do you testing that ? Have you ever done some tests on Metatrader version 5 not that old outdated fourth one. What do you say ? Please report here with the screens if it failed anyway.

close to 2 months now.

i did a lot a lot 200 trades per pair and did 5 pairs.

@achirima96 ,

Folks here want to help but need more info.

If it’s not working there is no harm in posting your strategies. How do you get in and out of trades and post a couple of charts detailing a trade.

Sometimes it just takes a different perspective and you will be onto something that does work.

KC

200 is a good number; but you need to practice more! Best wishes!

My advise, take your time to learn price action, also work with daily and weekly charts. From H4 and below things get very chaotic and noisy.

You might want to use 10 and 20 EMAs only to give you a visual representation of the dominant trend.

Take note of daily candle stick patterns like pinbars, engulfing bars, morning stars, inside bars appearing at known support and resistance levels.

With enough practice you will make good progress.

maybe sharing your EA will help others help you. Otherwise, what can I say?! Yes, it is you. After all, you’ve created the system, so … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would also advise you to go back to demo account. If your strategies are making losses, then you have missed something very important to do on demo account. Try to figure out what is wrong through analysis of lose deals. You will certainly get your answer

Back testing is quite simply meaningless. A back test of the previous two years for example simply means that you’re trading bot would have traded the previous two years, but it is in no way an indication that you’re trading bot will trade for even one day in real time trading.

Indicators that are based on moving averages are deceiving… they will fool you into thinking that you are predicting a trend or that you are predicting a ranging market.

A moving average is an average of the past it is not an average of the future.

If winning at the forex was as simple as picking one or two indicators and then adjusting their parameters until you get a successful back test, everybody in the forex that owns a calculator would be driving a Ferrari.

When people that have a gambling addiction lay their eyes on a successful back test, they think that they found gold, but I have a sad surprise for you that it ain’t like that.

Best wishes.