Nascar

Well, if Kevin Harvick’s wife, DeLana, wears the firesuit in Kevin’s family…

DeLana Harvick playfully fires back at Joey Logano - NASCAR News - FOX Sports on MSN

…then, apparently, Joey Logano’s daddy, Tom, wears the firesuit in Joey’s family.

http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/headlines/cup/06/06/pocono.JGR.RCR.kharvick.jlogano/index.html?eref=/news/headlines/cup

Here’s an excerpt from the Logano story:

Instead, Darby, NASCAR president Mike Helton and vice president of competition Robin Pemberton had a short meeting with Logano’s father, Tom, who was also involved in the incident on pit road.

“Mr. Logano, he did what he could do to restrain himself,” Darby said. "At the last, he wound up interfering with the television broadcasters and that’s not the right thing to do. And that’s all that was, to explain to him, ‘Look, you’ve got to stand back. You’ve got to let Joey be a race car driver. You have to have enough faith in the Gibbs team, Greg Zipadelli and all the other crew members to let them compete as a team.’

“It was a short message and I think he understands and we’ll go on to next week.”…

“You can’t deny the fact of a passionate parent,” Darby said. “You have to appreciate that. But there also has to be a line in the sand as to how far that passion can go.”…

So you’re a Nascar fan Clint? I’m not a huge fan but the wife is so we go to the Atlanta race every year.

I happened to be visiting a friend who lives in Griffin GA the same weekend as the big race there.

I’ve never seen a bigger RV gathering:eek:

yeah ours is easy to spot, it’s the one with the flags…

LOL
:smiley:

Yes. I started out as a fan of Tony Stewart, when he drove Chevrolets for Joe Gibbs. (I’ve been a fan of Joe Gibbs since his days as head coach of the Washington Redskins.) Now that Tony has left the Gibbs organization, my loyalties are sort of divided.

I was impressed with the smooth transition JGR made from Chevrolet to Toyota. Toyota was a newcomer to stock car racing, with no résumé for anyone to bet on. But, Gibbs bet on his own judgment, and it’s paying off handsomely.

And I’m a fan of open-wheel racing, as well. I’m enjoying watching the progress of Danica Patrick, as she attempts to build successful parallel careers driving both Nascar and IndyCar.

Lots of drivers have abandoned open-wheel, and moved successfully to Nascar. Tony Stewart is a notable example. But, not many have been successful in both leagues simultaneously.

Danica says driving is driving, so switching back and forth between Nascar and IndyCar should be no biggie. But, that combination has been extremely difficult for most of the drivers who have tried it in recent years.

Danica’s sixth-place finish in the Indy500 on Memorial Day weekend showed that her venture into Nascar isn’t hurting her open-wheel skills.

If, and when, she starts giving the Gibbs team a run for their money in Nascar, my loyalties will [I]really[/I] be divided.

Danica Patrick has decided to end her part-time participation in two distinctly different racing leagues, IndyCar and NASCAR, and to commit totally to NASCAR. For the past two seasons, I think she has enjoyed demonstrating that she can hold her own against the big boys in both leagues. But, the realities of professional racing require more than part-time dedication. She had to pick one, and she has made her choice.

I know why Danica has forsaken IndyCar to concentrate full-time on NASCAR — but, I will miss her in open-wheel racing, especially in the Indianapolis 500. After last year’s Indy 500, where she started in 25th position and finished 10th, I thought ‘Just give that girl one more shot at this thing, and she might just get to stand on the podium and drink the milk’.

But, it’s not to be. After the disasterous IndyCar Championships at Las Vegas last October, where Dan Wheldon was killed in that horrific crash, Danica (after finishing 10th again) hinted that she was done with IndyCar.

From the beginning of the 2010 racing season, through the end of the 2011 season, Danica had driven a limited schedule in IndyCar, while earning her rookie credentials in NASCAR. The picture in the previous post, of Danica posing with both of her rides, was taken prior to the start of the 2010 racing season, just after the official announcement that she was joining NASCAR.

Now that she’s committed to going all-in as a full-time NASCAR driver, a deal has been struck between Stewart-Haas Racing (Tony Stewart’s outfit), and Tommy Baldwin Racing to field the No.10 GoDaddy Chevrolet with Danica and David Reutimann sharing the driving responsibilities in the 2012 Sprint Cup Series.

Danica will drive in 10 Sprint Cup races in 2012, beginning with the Daytona 500 on February 26, where she has a guaranteed starting position. (Is the number 10 becoming permanently attached to Danica Patrick?)

She will continue to drive the iconic No.7 GoDaddy Chevrolet in the NASCAR Nationwide Series (the junior NASCAR series).

Here are some pix —

Farewell to the electric-green No.7 Indy car.

Danica’s No.7 Nationwide Series NASCAR Chevrolet.

Danica’s No.10 Sprint Cup Series NASCAR Chevrolet.

Danica in the garage area at Fontana, California, in February 2010.

And here are some articles for Danica Patrick fans in particular (and NASCAR fans in general) —

NASCAR News | FOX Sports

ESPN

NASCAR News | FOX Sports

Edit:

Here’s an opposing point of view from Greg Couch.

I can’t argue with the points he makes — in fact, I have to agree with his basic thesis that a clever marketing deal has bought a spot in the Daytona 500 (NASCAR’s biggest event) for Danica Patrick (NASCAR’s biggest sex-symbol).

And I enjoy the straight-forward, slightly in-your-face writing style in Greg’s article. See what you think.

Why we like NASCAR — big, loud crashes, with sparks flying everywhere.

This was Jeff Gordon’s wild ride in the Budweiser Shoot Out last weekend at Daytona International Speedway, in the run-up to the Daytona 500 coming up on Sunday.

Drivers and fans have come to expect at least one big crash at every major race at these “super speedways” — Daytona, Talladega, Texas, etc. TV announcers start talking about the “Big One”, even before it happens, as though it’s inevitable. In last weekend’s Shoot Out, there were four “Big Ones”, including Jeff Gordon’s wild ride in the video, above.

Sunday’s Daytona 500 will be interesting for many reasons, not the least of which will be Danica Patrick’s baptism by fire in NASCAR’s big time. Danica has a pretty good record of finishing races in the top 10, or better, without getting the paint scratched. I’m sure that kind of driving makes her high school Driver’s Ed teacher proud. But, racing at Daytona is a whole 'nother thing. It’s “go for broke”, “take no prisoners” racing. I hope she’s up to the challenge. It will be disappointing if she just plays it safe, hangs at the back of the pack, and finishes 30th or whatever.

The racing blogosphere is full of predictions that Danica is going to have a disastrous race, not because of timidity or caution, but because of over-confidence. If those predictions are correct, all that green paint on Danica’s No.10 Chevy might be a complete mess by the end of the race.

I just hope she stays out of the “Big One”.

I’ll be watching this one from home on the couch. The rest of the family is going there in person to smell the rubber. :smiley:

In the “Gatorade Duel - Race 1”, run at Daytona on Thursday, Danica was nudged into the wall, where her No.10 Chevy was crunched up really badly. She didn’t cause this crash; she just paid the price for it. She wasn’t hurt, but she was denied a “finish”, through no fault of her own. And her car was destroyed.

The two Gatorade Duel races are part of the “festivities” of Speed Week at Daytona, but are not directly related to the Daytona 500, coming up tomorrow (Sunday, February 26). Different races, but the same track — the notorious Daytona International Speedway. That’s why it’s “good” that Danica got crashed[I] here[/I] on Thursday.

Bad for the car, and expensive for Tony Stewart’s team, but potentially good for Danica.

Good for Danica because: With this crash, she has demonstrated, for anyone who doubted her, that she can take a punch and remain standing. And she demonstrated, for anyone who doubted her, that she has the right attitude about racing with the big boys, in NASCAR’s biggest and baddest arena.

I really think that the folks who have criticized her attitude as over-confident have it wrong. I think she has her head screwed on straight for racing in the big time, and for the big show on Sunday. Throughout the race on Thursday, Danica was driving sensibly, but not timidly. She was using this practice race [I]for practice,[/I] not going for broke. Here’s a good article.

Maybe most important of all, Danica now has had the experience of wiping out, hard, at the dreaded Daytona Speedway. There’s no longer any reason for Daytona to intimidate Danica, and clearly she’s not intimidated.

The car, on the other hand, is in “the morgue”, dead, totalled, and won’t be in Sunday’s Daytona 500. Instead, Danica will be driving an identical-looking back-up car.

She will be starting Sunday’s race in 29th position, near the back of the pack. But, that’s not a problem. She’s perfectly comfortable back there. Five hundred miles is a long way to race, and Danica is pretty good at slowly working her way up the field. Watch where she is with 250 miles to go. And then watch where she is with 100 miles to go.

As in the Gatorade Duel, Danica will be in the Daytona 500 as part of her NASCAR “learning-curve”. So, just finishing the 500 will be an accomplishment for her.

Finishing in the top 15, or the top 10, if she can pull that off, will be fabulous.

And if the opportunity presents itself to do even better than that, she won’t be shy about seizing the opportunity. She may be a complete rookie in the Daytona 500, but she’s a competitive race-car driver. And that means that part of her is definitely in it to win it.

Gentlemen — Start your windshield wipers !

Oh, wait, you don’t have windshield wipers.

Daytona 500 postponed to Monday due to rain - NASCAR News | FOX Sports on MSN

they should make them run in the rain in real cars off the showroom floor with windshield wipers and regular all weather tires!

Daytona 500 — [U]re[/U]-revised start-time — sometime after 7pm EST this evening (Monday, Feb 27)

You mentioned that your family went to Daytona for Sunday’s race, now postponed.

Are they staying there for tonight’s third attempt?

no they had to come back so we are all watching it on TV tonight

with hotwings! :smiley:

They are the race fans more so than me… I’m in it for the wings LOL