Need some help!

HelpCoyote

I need some computer pros to weigh in on a problem I’m having with my computer.

• Booting up the machine, which used to take a few seconds, now takes at least 2 minutes.

• Once I get onto a website – Babypips, for example – I can navigate all over that site with my usual blinding speed. But, getting onto it, in the first place, takes about ten times longer than it should.

• Opening a file on my own computer (with or without an internet connection) is painfully slow,
    as well.

• Just opening “File Explorer” from my task-bar takes 2 minutes 25 seconds (I timed it)

• This slow-down started gradually several weeks ago, and is getting progressively worse.

Here’s my uninformed guess: The problem lies in the BIOS chip on my computer’s motherboard.

And/or maybe a hard-drive problem?

Do any of you guys know what’s causing this problem, and what I should do about it?

My computer is a very old, low-end, Dell machine, which is probably past its use by date.

Here are some specs:

• Dell Inspiron 620, Intel Core i3-2100, 3.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB hard-drive, 100 Mb/s FiOS through a hardwired router

• Purchased in 2011, left unused on a shelf for 2 years, put into service in 2013 and used
    (on average) about 6 hours per day since then

• No hardware repairs, replacements or upgrades in the 6 years this computer has been in use

• Windows 7 factory installed, upgraded to Windows 10 when that OS was released

• Infected with a trojan 4 years ago (don’t recall the name of the thing), professionally removed

• Drivers are kept up-to-date with Avast Driver Updater

• Regular cleaning with CCleaner, and regular malware scans with Avast and Malwarebytes

If anyone can diagnose my problem, and suggest a remedy, I shall be forever grateful.

Did you install or start to use any new programs/apps? I had a real issue with MT4s auto optimizer in this regard for a couple of months.

I think your computer hard drive is infected with bad sector. You should get it checked.

In fact, your computer is still sutiable for trading and related purposes. I use machine of the same age, but with older CPU - it provides enough power.
It seems that you have problems with HDD. You can check it using special software. It is free and easy to find, so this step should not create difficulties. Then you can either buy new HDD (at leas for OS) or use SSD, depending on what way will be affordable for you.
Another point of attention is operating system. Think about downgrading to Windows 7 - the performance will increase substancially.
It will be great to add more RAM too - your computer requires quite old type, so the necessary details will be relatively cheap.

For trading your software should be ok, but when it comes to simulations or backtesting trading strategies - it can take ages with old PC

I would replace HDD first and then do any check ups. Using any linux distro free to download (use another pc for that) and boot with it you can copy 1:1 your HDD onto new one even if you have bad sectors. Get it done as soon as you can. If it’s bad sectors coming up they will come up exponentially (like one day 2, another day 10 etc.) Then diagnose your bios once HDD is safe. If it’s old PC then HDD is your first point of rescue. Data first.

@katerinche, @vineeta, @J_C_Anderson, @ontario, and @Old_Navy

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Clearly, the consensus is to trouble-shoot, or simply replace, my hard drive.

I’m weighing that course of action versus replacing the whole computer. Either way, I’ll have the chore of moving everything from the old hard drive to a new one.

I’ll need to make my decision soon, before the old hard drive dies.

Thanks again, guys.