Negative RRR but high winrate?

hey there , so im worked and indicator based on 3 supertrends and 1 osma as its strategy , gave the indicator dashboard to calculate winrate and other stuff , gave it tp and sl levels based on ATR value , been running it for a while and i even published it , but i got a question from a buyer that made me curious , he got 90% winrate and positvie profit on dashboard , but he stated that he works on 0.5 ATR tp and 3.0ATR sl , which is a very bad RRR , im willing to test this on my real account (funny enough its my creation but neve saw it this way) and see if will work but first i wanted to ask the community , maybe i get a new idea to improve the strategy and indicator.and i attached an indicator that i made that is based on 2 ma cross , it has dashboard of winrate and other stuff , and it has tp and sl option to draw on chart , is gift to you :slight_smile:
Ambitious_MA.ex4 (28.8 KB)

Screenshot_1

There are no rules in trading to tell you what your win rate must be or what your r:r ratio must be.

A very high win rate is a good ā€œcushionā€ against losses and it suggests a strong attention to chart technical analysis. Probably 90% is as close to perfect as itā€™s possible to get, no doubt the TP much closer to the entry than the SL helps.

But a very unbalanced r:r ratio is a concern and here Iā€™m talking about achieved r:r after the trade, not planned r:r when the position is being planned and opened. Such an imbalance will become a problem if the trader has a series of losing trades - unlikely but not impossible.

1 Like

Exactly , i agree , having higher winrate that will eventually make you money is a good thing even if losers are bigger than winners , as your mental state will be better when you are hitting profits more often than hitting stops . thanks for your comment.

i agree

most retail traders donā€™t, though

in professional and institutional trading circles, an ā€˜Rā€™ of around 0.7 is very common, and an R above 1.0 is much rarer

i would not be willing to trade that way, myself, and many intraday retail traders would not in practice even be able to cover spreads and commissions, on that basis - many would need such a high win-rate, with that R, as to be impracticable, so i think thatā€™s taking it (much) too far

2 Likes

Iā€™m very curious, your negative RRR means you make a lot of profit for every loss, but over the long term, can this really be profitable? The win rate may be high, but wouldnā€™t the earnings disappear after a few losses?

I think that when people say ā€œnegativeā€ RRR, they normally just mean ā€œless than 1.0ā€, not really negative at all.

Why does it mean this?

This information matches my very limited second hand knowledge of 2 former colleagues who now trade for a living, one has reward to risk of two thirds (0.67) and the other three quarters (0.75), of course each with high win rate. Both are encouraging me accordingly.

I have also read (but this is only internet information) that among people doing prop firm challenges, the few who pass mostly have low R and high win rate, and people who try with higher reward to risk like 2/1 are normally in the failing majority. I believe this, anyway.