New evidence points at Russia for Coincheck hack

CoinCheck, the Japanese cryptocurrency exchange that was hacked back in 2018 for over 530 million USD may have been attacked by Russian hackers.

Originally it was believed that the attack from January 2018, which costed the crypto currency exchange some 534 million USD in NEM, had came from North Korea. The latest evidence however show that computer viruses, linked to Russian hackers have been found in Coincheck employees’ computers.

Variants of the viruses, called Mokes and Netwire, which originated in Russia in 2011 and 2007 respectively, have been e-mailed to Coincheck employees on purpose. After the employees opened the infected e-mails, hackers were able to take over their computers remotely.

Perhaps they’re working together. Split the pot. I will say that it’s easy to blame Russian for anything and everything nefarious these days, whether granted or not.

I’d be interested to see what that email looked like.

1 Like

I’d love to see how the email looked as you said. Like anything that revolves around currency/money there will always be illegal activities surrounded by it. It’ll be the first of many in regards to crypto.

I too think the possibility for an inside job - or at the very least a parnership with the hackers - is very real.