No Shoes Trading

Hi,

Let’s do a bit of a back history since I am new here:

This is an already in progress trading journal that I have just been keeping on my computer. My enthusiasm for it is waning and I was feeling I needed some community around me, so I googled it and found babypips. I’m new with sharing thoughts in forums and publishing a journal for other people and I’m not sure what to share as far as what people want to see so feedback is greatly appreciated.

I’ve been trading FX off and on since 2017, stocks as well. I can’t remember if i ever used a demo account or not, I mean; I’m sure I did, but I’ve had a live account thats verified by myFXbook since 2017. I wasn’t a very good trader and stopped for awhile with a loss over $700 (no idea the exact number). In October of 2019 I came back to my all but abandoned account that had a balance of $161. In the last 11 weeks of 2019 on a weekly spreadsheet of performance I totaled a 24.95% return (this includes interest payments) and does not include the deposits ($2200) but is the week to week performance of the account based on the weeks starting and ending balance.

Okay, now that I got all that out lets break down where I am at today. I’m crunched on time so this is going to be down and dirty with not a lot of explanation but I try to do an entry every Wednesday and Friday. I have Rob Booker’s The Finch running one direction trades on four pairs. EUR/CAD, EUR/USD, CAD/CHF, and USD/CHF. I also trade these pairs on the 4H chart. I Also have an open position in EUR/TRY that I am no longer interested in holding and I’m working my way out of. That being said my profits so far this week are $3.94 which is 0.16% (Balance is $2511.90). EUR/CAD and CAD/CHF both had setups on the 4H charts but since I literally just added them this week I traded cautiously and closed the trades after a few dollars of profit each time. Most gains are still going to wash out EUR/TRY.

I’ll be back Friday with and End of Week and End of Month Review. Until then any questions, comments, feedback, i’d like to know especially links or charts you guys are interested in seeing as part of this journal.

Zac

Can’t post links but myfxbook member: Zacj346 portfolio: No Shoes Trading

4 Likes

Sounds interesting. Are you planning on posting your strategy? If not that’s fine. Just inquiring. :blush:

Sounds like you have turned it around, will look forward to an update.

It’s okay when we occasionally fail and we feel uncomfortable about it. So the main thing is not to despair, and just make conclusions, find something that will help you in trading every day and work on your result.

One month down, 11 more to go and and even though I though January was particular boring and uneventful I am moving forward. So lets take a look at this week, then January as a whole and wrap with some thoughts and ideas as we move into February.

Let me take a minute and run through my trading strategy as it sits 

right now. I use Oanda (which may or may not be important to this strategy) and one of the reason is it has decent swap rates which it pays out as ‘Financing” in your account activity (I’ll be referring to it as ‘swap’ for cohesion). In my strategy I only enter trades that have positive swap rates, that means I am only selling EUR/USD and EUR/CAD, and i’m only buying USD/CHF and CAD/CHF. The robots are set up the same way, selling the EUR pairs and buying the CHF pairs. This is strictly personal preference and the strategy will work and give more trading opportunities if all pairs were bought and sold regardless of swap. I have traded both ways on EUR/USD and it works fine.

So on the 4H chart I am currently using Full Stochastics(14,3,3) and MACD(12,26,9) its not sexy or complicated, it just works. Set up for a buy is once Stochastics is close to 20 (I prefer less than 20 but sometimes it just doesn’t get there) start watching the MACD line just the line and when it turns from falling to rising thats the signal to buy. Selling is just the opposite waiting for the MACD line to turn after Stochastics is up around 80.

There is no initial stop loss or take profit set, I don’t believe in taking a loss and will only close a negative trade as a wash (profit taken from a successful trade off sets the negative trade). Oanda is good for this because it lets me reduce trades by as little as one unit at a time so I can really just whittle down negative positions.

Side Note: Warren Buffet was ask how much money he lost in (i believe) the 2008 recession and his reply was “I didn’t lose anything because I didn’t sell anything” (I have no idea if this is true, but its the same philosophy I take in trading.

Exiting the position is the same rules for entering, if you bought a position follow the selling rules for exiting, if you sold follow the buying rules. I like simplicity, I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel, I want to flip through my charts for a few seconds every 4 hours and that’s it. So lets say I sell EUR/USD and for whatever reason when the buy signal comes around to exit my position the position is still negative. I don’t close losing trades. It goes to Mitigation.

Mitigation is just what I call it, and it is the main purpose of the robots. Swap and profits from the robots go towards washing losing trades. Every time the account is checked profits from the robots used to reduce the size of the losing trade and daily finance payments (swap) is used to reduce it as well. As a note, I rarely go 1:1 with my reductions if the robots made $0.50 I might take $0.45 or $0.42 and keep the difference as profit. Ending a week with $0.00 is not very motivating, ending a week with $3.00 is at least moving forward.

I keep robots in a supporting role only, the percentage of my account they control is small. I use the Finch by Rob Booker, and they also share the same philosophy of no stop loss and never closing losing trades. They work fine; until they don’t, so I don’t encourage anyone to use robots without fully understand how they work, and are capable of trading their way out of any bad trades the robots make.

The only other thing of note is I have a large (relative to the margin it uses) position in EUR/TRY that I am currently working my way out of. Oanda did have a very generous swap rate for it and for a stretch I was being very conservative with my trading while I was setting up the strategy as it is today. Oanda has since changed their swap rates and EUR/TRY is taking up too much margin for the return I am getting for it. I started the year with 0.07 lots of EUR/TRY and I as of today I still have about half of that.

I know this is already terribly long winded and my spouse would like to do something today besides watch me sit at the computer (Season 3 of Sabrina is out on Netflix after all), but let me go over what happen this week, and then quickly this month. I ended this week with $4.19 or 0.17%. EUR/CAD and CAD/CHF posted a signals to enter trades following their respected rules and just looking at the pattern after trading this way for a few months it seemed like a false signal. I followed the rules and entered the trades anyway with 0.04 lot sizes and those trades are currently down $40 and $30. This isn’t unusual for the system, and I don’t have a problem carrying negative trades. I’m currently testing Bollinger Bands to see if I can see a difference in false and real signals but that is not part of the system yet. At any rate I don’t count open positions in my profit and loss data because it is still an uncertainty, only closed trades and paid swaps. I had 17 trades this week, all of them by the robots, and all profits this week came from them and swap paid to me. I still have $1.40 in paid swap I have not accounted for because its paid at market close and on Fridays I am not able to wash out trades with it. When the markets open tonight I will wash out some more EUR/TRY and whatever is left will be added to the this weeks data. I ended January with $73.60 (again leaving out the $1.40 swap) which is a 2.96% for January.

I don’t know how you guys benchmark your performance, or if you do, but I benchmark my performance against the performance of my 401k retirement accounts of which I have 2. My 401ks have gotten slaughtered the last two week, I don’t know if its Coronavirus, trade wars, Brexit, Impeachment,a new Recession. They just drop like rocks to the point it cost money to have a 401k in January. (hats off to anyone that started one in January) they are sitting at -1.21% and -1.11% for January as of Friday. So 2.96% is great. I am hoping for more trades in February, I am already in EUR/CAD and CAD/CHF. EUR/USD and USD/CHF are both ready i’m just waiting for a signal from the MACD line to enter. I think they will all go early in the week so maybe i’ll have some successful trades by Wednesday.

I’ll start posting a link as soon as I’m allowed, until then
myFXbook member : Zacj346
portfolio: No Shoes Trading

Current strategy started Oct. 2019

2 Likes

I tried some bourbon creme in my coffee this morning as a replacement for creamer and it was terrible. It doesn’t have the right kind of flavor or a significant amount of alcohol to turn morning coffee into a proper mixed drink. I like it in cold brew though, so i’m not sure what difference hot and cold make (I just refrigerate a fresh pot of coffee to make cold brew).

Enough about coffee, lets talk FX. I’ve been at BabyPips for all of a few minutes. (I literally probably spent 15 minutes total on the site) but I am trying to get more involved. I’ve been reading through other peoples trade journals and some people are making some serious money, and that gives me hope, and some people are spending way more time than I am in this. One guy I read yesterday (I’m not going to tag him because I don’t know him and don’t know if he’d appreciate it) puts in 6+ hours a day. Maybe that’s what you have to do to make bank. I spend probably 8 hours a week, and that’s divided between writing this, record keeping, and stocks. I look at my charts often throughout the day but that probably isn’t even an hour a day.

So far so good as far as performance this week. I made $28.88 on my EUR/USD and USD/CHF trades. I could have made more but I wasn’t able to do much scaling because I stop adding trades when I get to 50% available margin. All of that profit save for $1.08 went to washout EUR/TRY which is down to 0.025 lots. The robots dispite being tied up in the CAD trades continued to chug along with 8 trades so far this week. Robots and Swap added $6.57 so far this week, most of which went to the TRY washout but I did keep $0.76 to add to profit. Gross profit is $35.45 or 1.39%, altogether $1.96 was kept as profit.

Going to open some 5m charts today and watch Bollinger bands in real time. Looking back on a chart there are definitely some areas of interest, but real time chart formation looks different so i’m not quite sure if I could pick those areas as they are forming.

UPDATE: Chart watching is a bane to my existence! I hate it. I ended up putting a trade on, just to have some reason to watch, I still don’t care. Its just no factor even with some skin in the game. And i’m not being reckless, I just know my system. I want to trade for a living, but I’m not interested in trading one job for another. If it doesn’t give me more free time and less stress than a job….what’s the point?

I had an interesting conversation with my girlfriend yesterday. She asked how my ‘stocks’ were going. I knew she meant forex so I launched into a whole recap of how things were going and what I was doing, and her eyes kind of glazed over and I got a “That’s nice”. And I was kind of bummed out. I see myself as planting seeds and nurturing something that’s growing and will eventually be providing for our financial wellbeing. Her response to that was the same as when her son tells us about something he’s building in Minecraft…

Anyway, lets talk about how I did this week, little tweeks I have made. Really, I did okay this week. EUR/TRY is down to 0.022 lots and its now only taking up $300 in margin. Margin was a problem for me this week, I stop adding trades when I get to 50% margin so chopping that down is going to be a big help next week. As far as tweeks I added a Bollinger Band to MACD, based on the signal line. I’m going to try a slightly different entry method next week based this and a Bollinger Band set to 1 standard deviation on the chart. Still keeping Stochastics on at this point, but I am considering dropping it all together. This set up was too complicated for the Oanda mobile app so it looks like I will be using Tradingview’s app to watch the charts.

I’m still moving forward slowly, I exited everything early this week, I was more focused on my bad entries this week and getting out of those and finding something to filter those out. I added $3.82 / 0.15%. That brings my Yearly total to $77.97, I passed last years total of $77.64 (which is really only the last quarter since I only traded 3 months). The way this week is ending I’m not sure if I’m going to get any trading signals especially looking back on the last few weeks. I might look at the 1H charts tuesday night to see if I can find set ups for Wednesday, if not the robots will give me whatever they get.

I don’t do this full time, or even part time, I’m really a spare time trader. I love following these other guys that are posting 5%, 8%, 10%+ gains day after day, its awesome. They are inspiring; they are putting in the time and effort everyday to be successful. And its easy to get caught up in their success and want to trade like them. Believe me, if I was making 5% a day I would be counting my Ferrari money. Jeff Foxworthy had a joke titled ‘You Can’t Give Rednecks Money’ and I am proof of that concept.

This is why trading priorities are important. I was going to say they were the most important, but after thinking about it both priorities and strategies can evolve over time so I believe keeping the two in sync with each other is really the most important thing. As such I’m always looking for new things to add to my trading that works well, fits into this synchronization , and is pretty simple to execute. Last night one clicked: Pivot Points. I have been tracking the Daily Pivot for months, but I never really had a reason for it besides liking it. It’s not part of my strategy, and its not a good indicator of ultimate price direction (in my opinion). The only thing I get from Daily Pivots is that there is a good chance that price will be at this point today, or within the next few days. Even thats not always the case.

Last night, I was looking at my charts and I noticed that some of them were on the right side of the Daily Pivot and hadn’t touched them yet. So I thought “Why not take some trades on these and take profit at the pivot. I made 3 trades and went to sleep, by the time I woke up 2 of the trades had closed and the 3rd one I closed around 10am when it was within 0.2 pips of the TP. I added a little over $8 today off of daily pivot trades and I’ve added a new piece to my strategy that is pretty simple, and I love simple.

Performance so far this week, robots were the sole contributor Monday and Tuesday bringing in $2.66, DP brought in $8 or so this morning and I had one buy signal from my 4H long term strategy, but I was skeptical of it because of how fast it developed and I ended up abandoning it after a gain of $1.35. Altogether I am up $13.30 or 0.53%. The main reason for this jump over the last few weeks is my EUR/TRY washout is not exclusively coming from swap and I’m keeping all profits from trades. Part of that was ego (not going to lie) and to show my girlfriend that this isn’t Minecraft, so I can hopefully bring her around to it. I don’t need her completely on board with my dream of doing this for a living, but we have been going around about how much time I do put into it, and I need to show her more than just a couple dollars a week. I tried to explain the EUR/TRY washout and highlight the overall progress of the strategy, but she didn’t really care. (I don’t blame her). What she was looking at was I wasn’t doing as much around the house last week on my days off cause I was busy making $4. It’s small enough that it’s not hindering my trading, and long term it looks like it might even come back to positive on its own so it’s just not that big of a deal to get it completely washed out. Plus moving on to a new phase feels so good.

One last note: I’m 18 weeks into this strategy and I haven’t had a negative week. My worst week was Christmas and I added $0.61 of swap and had zero trades.

Zac, fascinating journal. I am not really interested in your method for entering trades. We all have our own techniques and if the win % is acceptable then so be it. I am interested in the comment you made concerning losing trades and the statement that you dont have any losers because if they go negative then you simply trade your way out by washing gains. This is also my strategy.

I have a system called the “no loss” method. It struck me sometime ago that if my losers were larger than my winners then despite my win ratio I might end up losing money. So I started concentrating on my losing trades and managing the losses to, at the very least, breakeven. The Warren Buffet statement is true. You haven’t taken a loss until you close the trade.

I will follow your journal with interest.

Hey Diabolo, thanks for reading. I hope your no loss system is of your own making because I have heard the term before, but I don’t know what the system actual is. What I could find in my quick Google search was Martingale-type strategies and things that seemed…scam-y. Martingale isn’t a scam, I just don’t like it.

I just ramble this out on my days off, and mostly its for my benefit. I have a spread sheet with my daily and weekly performance going back to 2018. Its cool to look back and see some of the killer days/weeks I have had over that time (as well as the horrible weeks). But I never wrote down what I was doing, what settings I was using for indicators, what screening filters I was using for stocks. Everyone should be writing down their rules, and settings, because you may get away from it, and you might want to go back and look at it in the future.

And I just want to clarify for people who may read this in the future that when I said I don’t have losers, thats just really a mindset. You could look at my position in EUR/TRY (which was -$200 at one point) as a loser. You could call all the reductions I did to it so far as losing trades (myFXbook counts them that way). I just look at my performance on the weekly level and even if that account balance went up $0.61 like the week of Christmas…Woo! Winner!!

1 Like

Zac
yes it is my own method and it is not a martingale. Whilst its goal is ‘no loss’ it does involve drawdown and sometimes it can mean holding a position for a long period. I swing trade and I haven’t had an actual loss for over 18 months. I typically trade 2-3 positions per week.

Did you say what brought you back to FX after being away. I find myself doing the same. Being on and then off. I think maybe I just need consistency. Consistency in looking at charts.

Hey Rex,

I wish I had a cool story, like Rocky. Really it was just life. I moved and needed to find a job and get back to square financially before I had the extra money to put towards investing again.

Hey, that’s plenty of story right there. Thanks for sharing it.

Hello,
i appreciate your commitment to the Forex Market and that you spend so much time for this public journal. Follow with interest your “chess moves” , but i am courious wether trading is your only income or do you work beside trading?

Hey Kashmaster,

I am a truck driver for a company that warehouses and delivers food and supplies to a few different restaurant chains. I drive as part of team (which just meas there are two of us) and currently we deliver to a Chicago area twice a week and southern Illinois once a week. And I said all that just so I can say that one of our stops is downtown Chicago across the street from the Worlds Largest Starbucks (as of its opening in 2019), and they have campfire rings INSIDE THE BUILDING! Multiple rings, at least 2 that I can see from across the street. That is BANANAS!

Anyway, my current weekly average profit is only $9.63, so there is some work to be done before it is able to replace my current income.

Thanks for reading, and I liked that term ‘Chess Moves’

It’s Friday, you know what that means…I’m avoiding answering my phone when work calls. And, I’m going to talk about how I did this week. The robots have been pretty active today and yesterday, which is good news since they trade on divergence, which is pretty much what I trade on when I trade the 4H charts so I will be watching for setups next week. Speaking of set ups the one I thought was sketchy Wednesday turned out to be an okay trade.

The black line is where I entered the trade on Wednesday, and it would have been up around $19 today. If I had stuck to my strategy I would have been waiting to bank profits instead of studying this as a mistake I made last week. And it isn’t a mistake because it turned out to be profitable, the mistake was I didn’t follow my strategy. And I wanted to post something to drive the chart purist crazy, I hope you weep! (I’m joking).

I need to play around with the time I check for DP (Daily Pivot) trades. The bar that starts it begins at 5pm (for me) but the pivot points don’t show up until a little after 5pm. Another factor is the spread jumps at that time because its the end of the US trading day, that’s a factor because these are just small scalping trades. NZD/CHF was the sole pair on the right side of the line Thursday and I made $0.78. I’m going to continue to play around with it.

All and all things are pretty much wrapped up for this week, $18.29 / 0.72% was taken in profit bringing my balance up to $2534.88. Not a bad week, considering almost all of it came from the robots and trading toward the Daily Pivot, both of which are meant to be supplemental strategies.

Update: I sold a stock today. CC which I bought 6 shares of on 1/24/2020 for $15.90 hit its take profit and sold for $17.88. This netted me $11.88 which was a return of 11.07% on my invested capital. I don’t talk about my stocks, mostly because this journal is now on a forex forum, and I trade on weekly charts so its pace is glacial and its in an HSA account so the money isn’t going to benefit me really until I retire and isn’t factored into my trading performance for the purposes of this journal. But, its important to celebrate wins, so CC today was a win.

1 Like