Oanda margin question

Good evening to everybody

Could somebody please explain to me what does “Margin used” mean in this pic? This is an Oanda fx practice account. I understand that If it was a real account I would have 99.836,00 Eur of real money and 4.991.848,00 Eur of leveraged money, but what does Margin used mean? Does it mean that Oanda would issue a margin call if I lost more than 1.996,72 Eur on a single trade?

Also I have another question. The reason that my entry trade is 99.836 is because I put Default order size in User preferences to be 2% of Leveraged NAV. What does NAV mean?

Thank you in advance

You have not submitted this market order yet (if you had, this dialog window would have disappeared). This window is telling you that, if you enter this order, then you will be using a margin amount of 1,996.72 EUR. Oanda calls this Margin Used. This is simply 2% of the notional value (99,836 EUR) of this EUR/USD trade.

(In the U.S., we use commas where you use decimal points, and decimal points where you use commas – I’m sure it’s confusing for you to read my text, just as it’s confusing for me to read yours – :slight_smile:)

No, far from it. As soon as you enter this position, the initial margin amount (€1,996.72) will be reduced by 50%. The remaining 50% (that is, €998.36) – which some brokers refer to as maintenance margin – is the portion of your account that you may not lose.

If this trade went horribly bad, and you just let it eat up your account by failing to close it, then you could lose all of your account EXCEPT the last €998.36. At that point, and not before, you would suffer a forced liquidation – sometimes (erroneously) referred to as a margin call. The reason that term is erroneous is because your broker will not “call you for additional margin”.
He will simply close your position, no questions asked.

Net Asset Value.

You will find this figure in the Account Summary window on your platform.

EDIT

If you are expecting to hold this EUR/USD position for more than an hour or two (when the market reopens), then I suggest you reverse your order to a SELL instead of a BUY.

Strong/Weak Analysis for multi-day trades indicates that the USD is the strongest of the 8 majors, and the EUR is the weakest, based on today’s (Friday’s) closing prices.

1 Like

Hey Clint.
Tnx for the answer.

As for the commas, I am happy that so much diversification exists and will be willing to change the style to American if it is confusing :smiley:

As for the original question: If my account was real and held 99,836 Eur and I wanted to trade exactly that amount (like in the pic), I don’t understand why is margin used when I have that amount in my account. I would understand margin if I was trading a bigger amount than I hold on my account, but I’m trading the same amount I have in my account?

Tnx again for the detailed answer and for the tip in your post scriptum.

Margin simply “freezes” a small portion of your account for the duration of the trade in question.

Let’s use round numbers, because they’re easier.

Say your account has exactly €100,000 in it, and you have no open positions. In this case, none of your account is committed to margin.

Now, suppose you open a one-lot position in EUR/USD. That position is worth €100,000 (its worth is properly referred to as its notional value). Take note: you have not “bought” or “sold” anything – and you never “buy” or “sell” anything when you deal with a retail forex broker, although we use those terms for convenience. What you have done is place a bet with your broker on the direction that the EUR/USD price will move.

If you have opened a LONG position (what we loosely call “buying”), then you have automatically placed your broker in a SHORT position, because he has the opposite side of your trade. In proper forex terminology, your broker is your counter-party (and he will remain your counter-party, until you close this trade). This subjects your broker to exposure in the real market, which he can manage in various ways (for example, offsetting your LONG position against some other trader’s one-lot SHORT position).

But, your broker does not want any exposure to the possibility that you might blow your entire account, or MORE than your entire account. So, he requires a security deposit, an escrow amount – a margin amount – which remains in your account, but cannot be touched by you, until your position is closed. In other words, you can’t lose this margin amount in a bad trade, you can’t withdraw it or transfer it to another account, and you can’t use it as margin to open any additional positions. It’s frozen. It protects your account from total wipe-out. And it protects your broker from the risk that you might blow more than your account balance, and end up owing him money.

In the example above, one lot (100,000 units) of EUR/USD requires a margin amount equal to 2% of the notional value (€100,000) of your trade. That is, the initial margin required is €2,000. If you have €2,000 in “free margin” in your account, then you are permitted to open this trade.

As soon as your trade is entered, maintenance margin (the margin required to stay in this trade) replaces the initial margin. With most brokers, including Oanda, this maintenance margin is 50% of the initial margin. So, as soon as your EUR/USD trade is entered, maintenance margin becomes €1,000, and that’s the amount that is “frozen”. You can lose or withdraw the rest of the account, but you can’t touch that last €1,000, until you have closed your EUR/USD trade.

Sorry for the long-winded answer. I hope it clears things up for you.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Clint, everything is understood now. Tnx again

Very helpful, thanks, man. Very new to Forex here - I’m on a demo account with 50:1 on a £1000 account and thought each time I’m placing a trade there’s an approx £20 margin or “down-payment” being placed on my micro lot orders, rendering my trading useless! I take it once the positions are closed the “down-payment” is mine to use again?

You are correct.

In your GBP-denominated account, a micro-lot is worth £1000 (see the Note below).

The 50:1 max. allowable leverage on your account corresponds to a required margin percentage of 2%.
And 2% of £1000 is £20.

Note: If you trade a pair in which the GBP is the base currency (that is, a pair of the form GBP/XXX), then the notional value of one micro-lot will be exactly £1000, as stated above.

But, if you trade a pair in which the base currency is not the GBP, (for example, EUR/GBP or USD/JPY), then the notional value of one micro-lot will not be £1000. In the case of EUR/GBP, it will be €1000, and in the case of USD/JPY, it will be $1000. Your trading platform will then show the £-equivalent of €20 or $20, respectively, as the margin applied to your trade.

Thank you! In your opinion, is 50:1 on a £1000 account trading micro lots too risky? I’m not looking to make crazy money I just wanna start steady and really am in it long run. I’m under the impression, however, that anything below 50:1 with £1000 and trading micro lots would not be worthwhile as the returns would be so miniscule.

50:1 is a limit, similar to the credit limit on your credit card.

And, just like with your credit card, if you operate at the limit, you’re probably in big trouble.

You should spend the weekend studying the difference between maximum allowable leverage (example: the 50:1 leverage you referred to) and actual leverage used in each trade.

Here’s a quick example to get your study started:

You have £1000 in your account. The account offers 50:1 maximum allowable leverage.
You place the following trade: one micro-lot of GBP/USD, with a 50-pip stop-loss.

Q: How much risk are you taking?
A: Each pip on a micro-lot position in GBP/USD is worth £0.079 at the current price of GBP/USD = 1.2705 (You can get this info from the Babypips Pip-Value Calculator).

Given the value of each pip, a 50-pip move (to your stop-loss) would cost you £0.079 x 50 = £3.95.
That would be your loss, if everything goes wrong. That’s your risk.

Q: How much leverage are you actually using?
A: Leverage used = the notional value of your position / your account balance
= £1000 / £1000 = 1
= 1:1 actual leverage used (which means NO actual leverage used)

Q: How does the 50:1 leverage offered by your broker affect your position?
A: The broker’s maximum allowable leverage did not limit your use of leverage, at all.
The 50:1 leverage limit corresponds to a 2% margin requirement (£20 in this example),
which we have discussed previously.

Don’t take this example as the last word on the two types of leverage. Search this site for posts dealing with your questions. Leverage is one of the most-discussed topics here, and you will find a lot of information on it, if you’ll just do the digging.

Congratulations, by the way, on digging through old threads to find this one :sunglasses:

One more comment on leverage:

If I had my way, my broker would offer maximum allowable leverage of 1000:1 or 10000:1
That way, margin requirements on my trades would be trivial, and I would go on doing what I always do, which is using somewhere between 5:1 and 10:1 actual leverage in my trades.

1 Like