Oanda openening pending orders at wrong price?

Hello all,

Let me start off by saying I’m not sure if this is a broker issue, an issue with me, or even an issue at all. But, after looking at a couple losing trades I had this morning, it looks as if a couple of my orders were triggered (either to enter the market or exit from the stop loss) without hitting the prices I had set for them. I understand that if an order is triggered, it may take a few seconds to actually open in the market resulting in a slightly different price than was specified. However, on the orders this morning, they never should have triggered at all.

The image I’ve attached (I don’t have five posts yet) shows one of my Sell Stop orders I had set for this morning. If you look at the highlighted order at the bottom, you can see that I set the sell price for 1.58279, the S/L for 1.58379, and the T/P for 1.58179. On the chart I show where those price levels are (blue line is sell price, s/l is red line, and green line is t/p). As you can see, my stop loss triggered with the price never actually hitting it, causing me to lose the trade that should have been a winner. Am I missing something obvious here?

Did you account for spread?

I may be a bit confused on this. I accounted for spread in the t/p, but it’s looking like I have to do that in terms of my entries and stop losses?

Hello! Metatrader only shows the Bid, not the Ask line. When the Ask price hits your Sl, it is hit. So if you want to use the lines you see in Metatrader, you may want to consider the spread in your SL determination (+/- 1 or 2 pip).

Ahhhh, makes plenty of sense now. Such a newb error, but easily fixed. Thanks!

You are welcome. It is a common mistake. :slight_smile:

Yes I agree with your statement there!