Over 130 crypto scams currently investigated in US and Canada

The North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA), an organization of securities regulators in the U.S. and Canada, whose aim is to protect investors from fraud, revealed that currently over 130 cases of possible crypto scams are under investigation and that since the start of the year some 35 cases were transferred into the hands of the law enforcement agencies.

NASAA is aided by the coordinated efforts of more than 40 state and provincial securities regulators from the U.S. and Canada in an operation dubbed Cryptosweep, launched back in 2018.

NASAA’s president Michael Pieciak also commented on the Facebook plans to launch a crypto currency of its own – Libra, warning that this “will create an environment that attracts white-collar criminals, bad actors, and other promoters of illegal and fraudulent securities schemes”, adding that “investors should be mindful of the hype and be aware of the risks when considering whether to jump into crypto currency related investment products.”

Only 130??

For me I only see scammers dealing crypto.

1 Like

There are some legitimate companies with good reputation, but the industry, much like the forex industry, is indeed rife with scammers.

2 Likes

Yeah, even to get into the forex scene is complicated dealing with so many bullsh*t

Oof. Do they reveal which companies/ICOs these are?

If they haven’t already the information will soon come out, I imagine.

Did you end up buying into these ICOs back during the crypto high?

No, I was lucky enough to get into cryptos after the high had passed, actually.

1 Like