Overwhelmed With The Amount Of Tools And Methods For Technical Analysis

Hi everyone, im in the forex babypips school and I’m overwhelmed at the amount of tools that are available for determining when to place a trade.

You got fibbonaci replacement tool, moving averages, all the popular chart indicators and I haven’t even gotten to the middle and summer schools parts of the course.

My question is: do you use all of the tools when deciding to place a trade or do you use some tools? And if so, how do you determine which tools are best when doing your technical analysis?

Much appreciated.

5 Likes

Start simple. Look for established consistent uptrends. Its helpful to use one or two moving averages to confirm these visually and identify the best of a bunch.

Look for price to pull back in the uptrend. Set a buy order between the pull-back price level and the price level where it fell from.

Do not use any TA tools that are not essential to running your strategy. Any TA tool which you use must answer a question which your strategy absolutely demands an answer to.

2 Likes

Not to worry mate just about everyone who took the learning serious has felt the same . Practice on demo and learn from books/ebooks YouTube presentation ect .Everyones Trading style is different

3 Likes

Yeah, we’ve all been there. You start like a kid in a sweet-shop. You try lots of different ones before eventually settling on the few you find to your taste. Each time I tried a new one I briefly thought it was the best thing ever until I found they are all similar - each one uses the past to try to get a glimpse of the future. You name the indicator, i’ve tried it. These days I pretty much only use MA and occasionally volume and RSI. Mostly I just draw my own diagonal support and resistance lines - for me, those lines (which usually seem to loosly mirror MAs) are my best indicator.

7 Likes

Start practising with a pure price chart. Focusing on Dow Theory (Higher Lows n Higher Highs = bull trend and vice versa, W’s = Up, M’s = down, etc), Horizontal Support and Resistance levels, and then perhaps trendlines.

Then add a few MAs to your chart, say 8MA, 21 MA, 50MA 100MA 200MA. You can consider these as 'Dynamic Support and Resistance levels, and view how prices interacts with these. To place any importance on any given MA, you would want to see price neatly interacting with it in recent chart history.

Then you may want to add an RSI and/or a MACD to your chart. Whatever you do, don’t use them in the retail fashion of fading overbought and oversold extremes. That will get you wrecked. Also don’t use them in the fashion that the standard retail trader who thinks he is educated uses them, by looking for divergences as opportunities to fade trends. That will also get you wrecked, UNLESS, you become very adept at choosing good trade locations to implement divergent trading strategies and that skill takes quite some time to develop. Furthermore, when you do get good at choosing ‘the zone’ in which to fade a move, using divergences can just become frustrating, as half the time, price will not diverge as it puts in a reversal, or if it does, it will do so on an unfeasibly lower timeframe…drop the timeframes down low enough, and you will always find a divergence somewhere, but what does it really mean if you find a divergence on a 5 minute chart when you are looking at a 240m chart to frame your trade idea? (it means sweet fk all). I mostly like to use RSI/MACD to gauge momentum and price momentum consistency, thus using them in the very opposite manner to which most retailers are using them…which makes sense, since most retailers lose. I will also use them in the conventional ‘educated trader’ manner, of fading moves based on divergences, but only in very certain trade locations and circumstances, which just aren’t happening most of the time,

Do all that…in that order…and when you still find that your real time trading ability amounts to net losses, then you can start adding in multiple timeframes, to assist in framing trades.

If you take what I have said onboard, then I have just helped you avoid a great deal of Red Herring bullsh!t out there, spread around and propagated by the blind leading the blind.

I can’t think of any other endeavour where so much of the ‘education’ and ‘advice’ is just plain wrong and counter productive…so do things like the Babypips FX trading course by all means, but realise that it is teaching you how to fail, and whilst you must understand and be familiar with the concepts it is teaching, you are going to have to take all that knowledge to the markets, and build up your own game plan reading in the lines in between it.

Be aware, that to get good at this takes considerable time and commitment.

9 Likes

Appreciate the response, thanks

Hey @MatDerKater ! Good advice. You’ve pretty much distilled my 3 year journey of trial and error into a few paragraphs! Thing with learning though is i’ve (unfortunately) never been able to learn from anything apart from my own mistakes, but if there is a newbie reading this who can take this on and understand it then they’ll save themselves time and money. Happily i’m now at the stage where I can understand what your saying. I’d be interested in learning more about how you trade. Are you profitable? (Don’t have to answer if that’s a rude question):slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s not all about the technical tools; it’s actually about Price Action & Supply-Demand areas!

1 Like

@Blue2
I am profitable enough to have gotten FTMO funded, although I have been recently struggling with factors out with having the technical smarts. Missing entries to lots of good trades recently by a whisker, then shirking out of other good trades, then getting frustrated and going balls to the wall with the stinkers. Heard something about Mercury being ‘retrograde’ recently…may explain this recent weirdness in my trading, where I have been basically going through a scratch period, despite making many more good calls than bad.

But on the whole, yeah, I am profitable.

I can show you what I do at some point, and vide versa.

2 Likes

I’m new too, I was watching someone do back testing online. Why not use demo to test out your strategies and instead of buying backtesting software? Is there a particular advantage

Great question. I have never backtested my now profitable strategy based on Ichimoku and a few indices. Why? Waste of time if you’re relying on TA. Ichimoku has been time tested since its introduction for dozen of years.

However, my pro trader friend backtests his strategies back for 18 years to date. Why? Because he’s chart pattern scalping trader, which means identifying and trading similar patterns whether it’s a trending market or ranging market or otherwise.

He focuses on three major pairs, EUR/USD, GBP/USD, USD/JPY. His latest process is focused on the EUR/USD as it’s the most consistent, and only to sell trade the USD/JPY, and to leave GBP/USD to maybe one trade a day, until the UK sorts out its financial situation.

4 Likes

I can add to that. The price action movement is caused by order flow. If there are no orders, there will be no price movement. So why it’s important to identify not only S&D areas but also Support/Resistance zones is because that’s where most losing traders close their trades or get stopped out.

And that is where you could identify where to place your T/P before arrival, making RRR redundant as it’s just a hit and miss placing.

Actually it was PLUTO, which has probably the same effect. as it did with me which left my September trades in the Red.

Good observations I think.

My own theory on faulty trading education is that it is unconsciously deliberate. When you think about it there are 4 possible outcomes from reading a trading textbook -
Get rich quick
Make money slowly
Lose money slowly
Instant wipe out

The clients who lose money slowly are tomorrow’s customers.

1 Like

I trade synthetic Indices, mainly crash 1000, and I use MACD, RSI and moving average 17, 10,15 and 45, and it works just fine for me

1 Like

HI Good Day

Not necessary though, it really depends which best suits you to avoid so much clutter on your chart to avoid false signals , 1 or 2, if necessary 3 tools may do that’s how I trade.

like mine for example I just use ichimoku cloud and stochastic and a simple 200 EMA

1 Like

Hi

I like to use the stochastic indicator, the MACD, and the RSI, as well. Learn how to recognise and use divergence in all three.

With the stochastic, you can see which way the market energy/ momentum is heading, and for example, if you make sure the 1hr and the 15-minute timeframe’s stochastic is heading upwards then you can scalp some good trades on the 2-minute and 5-minute timeframes when they are going in the same direction as the 1hr and the 15 mins… or you can just let the 1hr timeframe run its swing up or down on the stochastic.

Try to stick with just a few indicators and learn how to read them well over a period of six months to a year. Also, look into the VWAP indicator, support and resistance, and areas of supply and demand.

Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate it

1 Like

Add price action and market structure to your to-do reading list.

Several gigantic price action threads here to get you started. Just use search.

1 Like

I Will only say that the most succesful people in the world are college/school dropouts.

Schools dont teach how to make money.

1 Like