Paid advertising on the Babypips site

I wonder whether [I]Google[/I] is able to hack into that?

I think I’m [B]way[/B] too connected to [I]Google[/I] —

• my primary browser is [I]Google[/I] Chrome

• my default search engine is [I]Google[/I]

• my email provider is [I]Google[/I] gmail

• and, apparently, [I]Google[/I] is embedded in Babypips in ways we didn’t even know about.

[B][I]Google[/I] is “all up in my grille”. And it’s time for me to do something about it.[/B]

From now on —

• I’m going to use [B]Opera[/B] as my primary browser

• I’m going to change my default search engine to [B]Bing[/B]

• I’m going to find a new email host

• and, as for Babypips, I’ll consider the filter thing that mrchilled, d-pip, and DonaldQ mentioned.

If you think that I’m somewhat obsessed with privacy, you’re mistaken — I’m [B]totally[/B] obsessed with privacy.

And, lately, I’ve been careless. I’m gonna fix that.

Firstly, nice new pic Clint.
As for privacy, there is none - if you use credit cards, banks, register on a Facebook or social network site, the personable identifying information can be linked to your web analytiics. Opting out of cookies doesn’t solve this as in some cases the user experience is ruined (like remembering usernames and passwords). My personal solution is to use Firefox as your browser and install a few add ons: better privacy, ad plus, ghostery. Between the three, you can remove ads from any site or all sites, find out who is tracking you and what cookies every site uses. You’ll notice Facebook tracks your every single web movement, hence the targeted ads.

On the other side, without the ad market, we’d all probably have to pay to do searches on the web or even send emails …

I’m being stalked —

You Latin chicks better be careful. You’re gonna piss off my Russian girlfriends.

Since google ad sense uses keywords that you’ve searched for on google to display advertisements that would be relevant to you… It would seem your google searches have been of the “adult” variety.

Data collected:

Clint’s interests:
1)Forex
2)Latinamerican girls
3)Russian girls

:smiley:

The only solution to that… is to stop using internet at all

Clint,
See what happens when you go “Incognito” with your chrome browser.
Also, for heaven’s sake 1,102 notifications? I guess all those Russian and Latin girls are reading your posts and “liking” them, lol.

Perv!

:smiley: couldn’t resist !

You got the order wrong Yunny…
1)Russian girls
2)Latin girls
3)Forex

Google is no protector of privacy…

And this will guarantee you a good night’s sleep;)

The current ad on my BP screen is for Stanley Gibbons, who can apparently assist me with my stamp collecting (!). I have never shown (or, for that matter, felt) any interest in collecting stamps, so I guess there’s also something more subtle going on.

Anyway, I thought you left?!

Maybe you ran a recent google search for where the nearest post office was … I always had the idea that English folks flipped through stamp collections during tea time haha

Yes I have left…

Hi, all.

We’ve requested some changes with Google, so hopefully some of the recent more “interesting” advertisements will go away.

Let us know if you see anything “interesting” going forward and we’ll have a look.

Thanks!

Pipstradamus

Well, this was “interesting”.

Is she offering to “lift, shape, and smooth” stressed-out forex traders?

Edit (Saturday, Oct 5): “Interesting” advertising just keeps coming —

Edit (Sunday, Oct 6): And then, there’s this —

What does crap like this do to the Babypips “brand”?

Hey Clint,

Thanks for forwarding those. For future reference, save the advertisement as it’s own image and send that to us. Also, if you can save the ad’s hover-over URL or the destination URL, that will help us search for the ad. Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as pulling a particular category (e.g. underwear) and blocked ads that are served to our account. Thanks again for your time on this. We’ll hopefully get the ads better targeted!

Thanks,

Pipstradamus

Hi Clint,

That is pretty annoying indeed and I hope that bp sorts that issue very soon.
But what was eye catching for me were your 1515 notifications! I hope you’ll be able to sort those too.(jk)

Cheers