Parabolic SAR Indicator

When using this indicator, does the distance between the dots and market price have an impact on the strength of the signal?

what do you mean by “signal”?

are you proposing using this indicator as part of trade-entry timing or decision-making?

don’t let anyone (including me!) put you off trying whatever you want to do, in trading, but that’s not what the PSAR indicator was invented for, and it’s not a use of it that i’ve ever seen any serious or professional or successful trader using - i think it’s rather strongly “against the odds,” if you don’t my saying

in general, a good way to use indicators is to start from the perspective of “what information do i want to be displayed?” and then find indicators that display it … and at all costs avoid the approach of “here’s an interesting-looking indicator: how can i use it to enter trades?” - that’s really a very widespread approach among the great majority of people who don’t ever become profitable traders :open_mouth:

1 Like

Parabolic SAR’s dots signify trend direction (dots below price indicate bullish trend, above indicate bearish), their distance from the market price does not reflect trend strength, but a flip of their position may signal a potential trend change.

I utilise PSAR modification for every trade I make. A set up of 0.09 - 0.50 is excellent - reduces the lag to minimal - and gives a trade movement signal as the Emi post above. The little balls show the price at that point, and I use on every Time chart while seeking out support and resistance zones, big or small. Helps me place my T/P and S/L on a trend trade.

And until anyone actually uses ‘my version’ within their strategies, they are losing out on a very good signal placement.

1 Like

exactly its originally purpose :sunglasses:

i may have misunderstood the OP’s use of the word “signal,” above, in imagining he might mean it as a primary method of entering trades :blush:

I have not used this indicator and have no idea about that.

it was really very good of you to post anyway, and mention that - many thanks: i wouldn’t have been able to sleep tonight, through worry, if you hadn’t so kindly clarified that issue :sunglasses: