Parabolic SAR - that's all!

Dear Dale,

i was playing on my chart right now i was trying too many indicators to check which one can work with the PSAR .I found one of the indicators looks like they go well with the PSAR on trendy days.and on sideways days This indicator i don’t know what it does but please have alook and try to anlyis it with me

What i found is that the aligator indicator when the PSAR goes into the oppt directon in trendy days it makes a u turn with there 3 Lines and they don’t corss each others when the market goes sideways these 3 Lines which is on the aligator is crossing and touching each others.it is very intresting this indicator.i think u should try and apply them

Well i might be wrong guys don’t follow me just we need to anlyis it more and check it .it might pays off for the false signals!!

My paremeters are

jew period :13 shift 8
teath period 8 shift 5
lips period 5 shift 3
Method: Exponential
Apply to:Median Price (HL/2)

Akram

Good Morning,

Time for a little shake up here:

Arvydas:

you mean, close the position when opposite SAR dot appears is great idea? i am thinking, isn’t it to late?

No offense - but you obviously have just ‘skipped’ to the end of the thread - otherwise you would not be asking this question or making this statement. Please don’t think that I’m being full of ‘s**t’ when I say this to you - read THE WHOLE THREAD first - if you just jump in and use this, or any other indicator, without knowing what’s really going on, you’re ‘f****d’ and you will lose money. There are a lot of people on this thread that have read and re-read the thread and then posted some extremely useful and insightful ideas and by just ‘skipping’ to the last page you’re missing out on a whole lot excellent information and ideas (one of them being the exit strategy to which I refer).

I’m also curious to know why you think that ADX is ‘not a bad filter’? (Sorry - I know it looks like I’m ‘banging’ on you - I’m not - I’m just curious to know why you say that). The reason I’m curious is because on all of the charts that I looked at yesterday - and believe you me I looked at a lot of charts - there were (probably) hundreds of trades that you would not have taken - because ADX was conflicting with Parabolic SAR - and the trades I’m talking about (that you would have missed) all turned to some serious cash and the losses made on the trades that ADX MAY have kept you out of were negligable from what I can see.

I am going to attach some charts later on today to demonstrate (my take on) the above so feel free to comment.

Hello pip huntter:

The indicator you are talking about is the Alligator indicator developed by Bill Williams. I have used this indicator before as it forms part of his ‘Trading Chaos’ trading methodology or ‘system’.

You make a point - I’ve never tried to combine it with Parabolic SAR.

For those of you who don’t know the indicator - basically - when all the lines are intertwined - it means that the ‘Alligator’ is ‘sleeping’ i.e. the market is ‘sleeping’ i.e. there is no directional movement i.e. there is no trend. When the lines start to seperate and then all start to move in the same direction then the ‘Alligator’ is awake and ‘hungry’ and ‘hunting’ and a trend has started (those descriptions are from Bill Williams himself by the way - I did not make them up).

One thing that a lot of people DON’T know about the Alligator indicator is the significance of the three MA lines i.e. each MA line represents the same MA line on one ‘significant’ timeframe down. In other words - if you are looking at the daily chart - the blue MA pertains to the daily chart - the red MA pertains to the four hour chart - and the green MA pertains to the one hour chart. In other words - the indicator is telling you - on one timeframe - what is (would) be happening on one and two ‘significant’ timeframes lower in addition to what is happening on the currently displayed chart. Interesting hey???

Anyway - Akram - thanks for that - let’s check it out (although - ‘horror of horrors’ - Delta does not have the Alligator indicator as part of the standard set of available indicators - but - I suppose I could ‘program’ it in i.e. it really is nothing more than three MA’s which have been ‘tweaked’ as it were).

Akram - I’ll leave it to you - let us know - I want to post some charts - to prove my point about ADX - OR - maybe to get some input on ADX - because - maybe I’m missing something. I mean - I find it extremely strange that Wilder HIMSELF advocates the use of ADX WITH Parabolic SAR and yet - I can’t see the point.

One thing that keeps ‘nagging’ at me - is there INDEED a difference between the movement of forex pairs and stocks - and - if there is - does this affect the ‘performance’ or ‘validity’ of a certain indicator?

Having said that though - in this case - both Parabolic SAR AND ADX were developed by J. Welles Wilder Jnr. - and he ONLY traded commodities - and - as we have already seen - Parabolic SAR works (like nothing else) on forex pairs!!!

Anyway - let me get to those charts.

Regards,

Dale.

OK - well - here are three charts - that I just picked at random.

Have a good look at the EXCELLENT - let’s call them ‘pure Parabolic SAR trades’ - that you would have missed - because ADX was telling you to NOT take those entry signals.

EUR/USD is the best (worst) example. Have a look at those long trends that you would not have been in had you confirmed your Parabolic SAR entry point signal with ADX!

Worse still - have a look at the trades THAT YOU ACTUALLY WOULD HAVE TAKEN because Parabolic SAR was giving you a valid entry signal AND ADX was confirming this!

On just these three charts (and these are major pairs) - you would have been lucky to break even let alone make a profit had you used ADX as confirmation of Parabolic SAR.

Now look - this is MY interpretation of ADX - maybe I am not understanding ADX properly. I have read - and read - and re-read the chapter in the book (the whole weekend) - and - with all due respect - it’s not THAT difficult to understand - but - maybe I’m not as ‘clever’ or ‘logical’ as I think I am - and - if I’m wrong - then PLEASE let me know - as I would like more than anything else for ADX to be abel to ‘filter out’ bad Parabolic SAR entry signals.

Once again - I don’t see how ‘pure’ Parabolic SAR can be beat.

Regards,

Dale.

Dear Dale,

the point i was trying to make for the allegator signals is that they really worked with the PSAR as the moment the PSAR shows in the oppt direction it forms a very nice UTURN and if the market is going on trendy days the MA’S never touch each others they only keep on going till the PSAR form a new direction then they start to make another UTURN .

on the other hands when the market goes sideways (which will not be a profitable in our strategy) the MA’S cross each others telling us that the market is not trending any more.

what benift can we have over these nice signales when combined with the PSAR?

WHEN ever they touch each others that will give us a signal to stop out of the trade before it is too late to do that which will minimize our loss rather than going fearther for more loss.

When they don’t touch each others that will mean agood signal for us to stick to our rule for not closing our position.and keep our profit for the max.

I tried to apply it on more than a pair and they really look like that there is a Love realtionship betwen both signals (PSAR+Alligator)

Try to apply them on the MT4 and check them out Dale THEY ARE REALLY WORTH TO BE WATCHED.

Akram

Hey thanks Akram,

I do agree with you and I know exactly what you meant - I just do not have the Alligator indicator on my Delta platform.

I will check it out on MT4 - just for interest sake - and yes - you are quite right about the operation of the indicator - I was just giving some of the other people a little more ‘insight’ into how it works.

Did you have a look at my PSAR / ADX charts by the way? What do you think about what I’m saying? Too many missed trades? Or am I reading things wrong? Anyone?

By the way Akram - about your weekend - this is still ‘bugging’ me - are you saying that today (Sunday) is a work day over there by you and that Friday is the ‘start’ of your weekend i.e. Friday you are ‘off’, or Thursday?

Regards,

Dale.

Hello there how`s trading going it seems that Psar works.I just want to know what is this all about ?

i didnt get what you mean?could you tell me what you mean thanks. Im interested in your strategy … you use only PSAR or you use other indicators
in your trading?And do you use default settings for PSAR.Did you try other setting just to see how works with them?Which pairs you trade most with this strategy.Thanks

Dear Dale,

well to be honest with u i didn’t check the ADX yet as i realy trusted u when u said it is not working then i was starting to help u to find a nicer indicator that will work with our PSAR.AND here u will find attached a chart that will tell u that this indicator works with the PSAR as i mentioned earlier there is a love realtionship between them so have a look and give me your feed back

otherpoint for the ADXR i failed to put them on my charts as i don’t know how to put the paremeters coz on my MT4 i don’t have them i just have ADX onlly.

Akram

By the way Akram - about your weekend - this is still ‘bugging’ me - are you saying that today (Sunday) is a work day over there by you and that Friday is the ‘start’ of your weekend i.e. Friday you are ‘off’, or Thursday?

Regards,

well Dale,

I am now in my office as i have a normal working day!! we take friday and saturday off.sunday is a working day for us.but again whenever i have a shoot i don’t have weekends!! (I am tv producer)

Akram

Hello every body,

Here is another attachment for the PSAR and the alligator indicators.this is the USD/CHF and i will call it a new born Alligator.

What i want to point at here is the moment the PSAR formed in an opp. direction on my MT4 there is a nice uturn is happining with the Alligator indicator.I think as we are all expecting that the PSAR will continue to go on downtrend this new born Alligator will continue to fall down till they cross each others for a reversal or they will corss each others in a way that will tell us that the market is going sideways. we should watch it coz if this works out it might be an adding up to our main strategy? what do u think Dale? any one here tried them before? is any one here is testing them like me right now?

Hey - nice work Akram!!!

Look - I think for anyone that can use the Alligator on their platform - it really IS one of the best indicators around - and - I like what you are saying - and - I agree with you - and - even more so - I REALLY HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT - because I’m already short on USD/CHF (from Friday).

One other ‘tidbit’ of information on the Alligator: the blue line is the slowest to react - and the green line is the fastest to react - and if ALL THREE are going in the same direction - then my friends you have a STRONG trend on your hands - perfect for Parabolic SAR!!!

I need to ‘program’ it in to Delta’s platform though - and that’s no ‘easy’ task I can tell you - but - if it produces the results that you expect - then - it’s worth the trouble - and I would then make it available to Delta to include in the next software update.

Regards,

Dale.

ok Dale this is what we are hopping!!! we should test it more to make sure that what i am saying is not nonsence!! guys please share with us we really need your help i am sure if we all try it we might have different oppinion or we can make sure of this new indicator.

Dale i really hope that this will work out.Any ways u still didn’t send us the PSAR list for the week i am waiting for them.

Akram

Dear Dale,

i just discoverd u r cheating us man how come u r short on USD/CHF as the PSAR will be a vailed entry at night:P hehe i am joking well i think it will go down more and more as the allgator is saying that .I hope he is going to be hungry enough to go down and down!!!

Akram

Dear Dale,

there is somthing that i just noticed with the allegator signals which is when the three MA’S lines touches the same candel that always mean that the market is not forming a big trend and it is waking sideways and when they r not hitting the candels or just the green one is hitting it that means that the market is forming a very big trend.

I am attaching another graf for u guys to have alook and help me to anlyis it more deeply.

I am not saying any thing for sure right now but this is what i am starting to bealive i could be all the charts i looked at is really telling me i am right 100%

Regards,

Akram.

Hi Dale,

I wanted to ask you about Delta. We talked a couple of weeks ago and you mentioned you use them. When I ‘google’ Delta several companies come up in results. Can you give me the URL of who you are using? Thanks!

Hello every body:

here is a very nice post about the Alligator indicator and how it works in the market
Lips, Teeth and Jaw of the Alligator show the interaction of different time periods. As clear trends can be seen only 15 to 30 per cent of the time, it is essential to follow them and refrain from working on markets that fluctuate only within certain price periods.

When the Jaw, the Teeth and the Lips are closed or intertwined, it means the Alligator is going to sleep or is asleep already. As it sleeps, it gets hungrier and hungrier � the longer it will sleep, the hungrier it will wake up. The first thing it does after it wakes up is to open its mouth and yawn. Then the smell of food comes to its nostrils: flesh of a bull or flesh of a bear, and the Alligator starts to hunt it. Having eaten enough to feel quite full, the Alligator starts to lose the interest to the food/price (Balance Lines join together) � this is the time to fix the profit.

Hey Dale i think this make sence as the chart is saying so 2 so this will really help us big time.we should keep on applying them into the PSAR and try to reduce our Loss as much as we can

Regards,

Akram

hey Akram,

The alligator indictator looks interesting, as I am only using SAR right now. However, I can’t find this indictator in my platform. Is there another name that it goes by?

Alan

Hello Alan,

well what platform u r using?

Regards,
Akram

hello every body,

Well i was just thinking that now we can know how the market goes with our nice new Indicator that we r using with the PSAR.But i still don’t buy one thing which is when u know that the market is going in sideways we have to keep out of trade coz basicly our strategy will not be profitable.it may get us some loss that we need to aviod.

Ok this is good so far.But why the hell can’t we take some advantages over that???

WHAT i mean (i am just thinking loudly now) why can’t we use this Alligator and try to think for another strategy that will work for us in those bad days (i mean the sideways move days) then we can ride the trend up or down and when it go silent we can ride it as well.very smart point i think!! but how?

Well i think we really should think for somthing that can help us to get some pips out when the Aligator go to sleep.

I noticed that when the 3 MA’S hit the same candel what happen is that the market form a sideways walk and they almost go up in one point and go down to another point and repeat them selfs up and down till they form a new trend .or in another word till the alligator starts to wake up and eat!!!

Regards,

Akram

I am currently trading with forex.com. Thanks for the help

Hope the alligator is working well for you

Alan

Dear Alan,

i don’t know really what is the platform u r using with Forex.com is it like a jave platform or is it MT4 platform?

Akram