PC gaming in decline. Say it ain't so

It was inevitable once mobile and tablet gaming hit mainstream, but market share stats were surprising.

“Console” will only continue to grow with services like Google Stadia in the future.

Electronic Arts wants people to believe that but it’s not going so well for them.

This news looks a bit unrealistic to me, as many of my friends are just crazy about PC gaming. They are continuously speaking about new games available on the market. And, as far as I can tell, they are becoming more and more sophisticated

I agree.
As I said, this is a deliberate campaign by major distributors to convince gamers that gaming is all about multiplayer on console now, because this is where the big profits from monetization are.

I hate seeing that “online multiplayer” alone is now requiring separate monthly subscriptions just for that option, apart from the game itself, and of course separate of the bill you pay to your ISP.

It’s a weird time for gaming, but there is a lot of potential game-changer (sorry) stuff on the horizon

Anything you’re getting excited about? Still looking to play Battlefield 5 and Far Cry 5. Gave Far Cry a go on my laptop last year, but apparently a 2 year old gaming laptop wasn’t up for it.

Really excited for The Outer Wilds. A Fallout-like game without bethesda?

In more general terms, Google Stadia and streaming technologies can change everything.

Which one are you most excited about?
For me it’s Cyberpunk 2077.

I’m kinda torn with Cyberpunk 2077. On one hand, it looks amazing and everything I dream about CDProjekt Red to deliver.
But they still need to show me some actually, honest to god gameplay. Maybe a demo?

They did show a demo last year, and a pretty extensive one. Search youtube, there should be plenty of footage, although CDPR did say that they’ve tweaked it quite a bit since then.
There was no gameplay on E3 this year (that was available for the public, they showed stuff to journalists and promised to release the footage later this year for everyone else).

Yeah, but that wasn’t hands on, right? It was a developer playing the game for people to watch.
I really look forward to actual people playing it

Woah, this game looks crazy. GTA meets Mad Max with some The 5th Element world thrown in. And on Stadia? One of the developers said it should have respectable performance on Stadia. I don’t know, this thing looks super complex!

It’s just becoming a more niche market. The people who are still in it are very enthusiastic and active, but the numbers are draining in favor of mobile devices and in the future - streaming services.

So complex its hard to believe it’s for current-gen even! And its god Kianu Reeves in it. Perfect game ))

1 Like

It’s not a gamechanger but I am very excited for the next battlefield title. The previous ones were so bad that DICE just have to deliver something amazing!

It will likely be quite complex, if their previous work is any indication. Their last game, The Witcher 3, has largely been regarded as the best western rpg by both critics and gamers alike. It is one of my favourites too. What made it so complex wasn’t just the vast world but also the numerous sidequests, each of which was a stand-alone story on its own, rather than what some other RPGs do: “Go to place X and bring me ten bear tails”. So I really hope Cyberpunk will be the same in that regard.

Hahah, yeah, the Keanu Reeves reveal had me clapping when I saw it in the E3 footage.

I confess I am not much of a fan of multiplayer games, simply because gaming for me has always been a way to unwind by myself, but I can definitely see the appeal.

That is the problem with multiplayer games and why I stopped playing them. If you are competitive like me, when you win you feel really awesome, but when you lose you start being frustrated. And then, either way, you want to come back and do it again, either for the fun or to get back and show them who’s boss. So it’s kind of like a drug really.

What genres do you usually play?

Hate being that guy, but I’m not buying Stadia at. all.

Yeah, same here. I love the good old hard copies of games way too much! Or the pleasure of inserting a Blue Ray with the favourite movie. Really hate to see all this go in the modern world…