Pips versus Points

When I go to set a trailing stop in MT4 it lists 15 points, 25 points, etc. Is one pip equal to 10 points and if I
want to set a 20 pip trailing stop do I have to set it at 200 pips?

2 Likes

Yes you are correct.

10 points = 1 pip
100 points =10 pips
1000 points = 100 pips

and so on.

The points are also known as pipettes.

6 Likes

Pleased to find this thread. I had wondered why I was hitting the trailing stop so soon after setting it. I thought I was on a 15 pip TS but now know it was only 1.5 pips:):):slight_smile: Baby Pips comes to the rescue again.

2 Likes

finally. A simple explanation of points to pips. ie 10 points makes 1 pip. So if MT4 only has its Trailing Stop set to points: to make a 50 pip Trailing Stop you’d choose ‘Custom’ and set it to 500 Points.

1 points =10 pips this is right or rong

1 Like
  • Oh well, obviously it is wrong. Please read above.

mrmoleman summarized it correct:
Quote: “10 points = 1 pip
100 points =10 pips
1000 points = 100 pips”

Hi Guys! Name is Michael.
I am from Namibia, somewhere in Africa but im currently in Brazil.

In Metatrader 5 on the the thing that confuses me is about the Points and Pips. I understand that:
10 points = 1 Pip
100 Points = 10 Pips and so on, but once the trade moves it multiplies the money with Points and not Pips so I ended with this at my take profit level.

GBPAUD
Spread: 6 Pips
Profit: 385.85 USD
My leverage is 1:50
I am trading 0.10 lots
Can you guys please help me with the maths?

I’ve done the maths and it seems that the ask price for the USDAUD was 1.29973 when you closed the trade. Your account is in dollars and you were trading a mini lot of the GBPAUD; this means that each pip was worth 1AUD. From this trade you made 501.5 pips= AUD 501.5. If you divide this by 385.85 you ll get the USDAUD ask price.

Pips are for forex trading, points are for stocks, simple difference yet some traders prefer to use some universal unit of changes on all assets. For me preferred unit is pip since I trade mostly on forex market.

Wow it’s good that you replayed 1 year later. :smiley: Somehow the question of Mchenry29 remained unanswered. Your calculations seems correct. However I believe the question here was more related to: Spread 6 Pips and Profit 5015 points. I believe it means: spread 0,6 pips and profit 501.5 pips. Metatrader is trying to make it harder to understand lol.

how can i measure points to pips with commodities?
example

XAUUSD
1000 points => ? pips?

wroong bro

For some reason with the MT4 trailing stop you are correct. If you want to set 20 pip trailing stop you set custom 200 trailing stop. But in the banking industry a pip and a point are exactly the same as each other.

You are correct…if you are trading indices…1 point is 10 pips