Pivot points

is there a pivot point calculator that I can put on my fxcm trading platform to work off each chart

There should be a good number of add on apps (both mt4 and TS) for plotting pivots on your platforms. A quick google search should do it

The question is why would you want to use have a point in Forex? What would you be using for your central pivot? There are many central banks are opening at different times throughout the day’s so which one would you choose? Maybe you would choose the opening of the US market. But the European market is still open so what about those trades. You could use the European open, but do you choose Germany’s central bank for England’s their hour apart and what about the Asian market because there still open? My point is if you haven’t figured it out already pivot points are worthless for a 24-hour day market. The reality is that all but useless for an equities market. Therefore why would you want them on a forex chart?

Because everyone is using NY close for calculating pivots, that’s why…and don’t know about you but I see them working. Maybe you used them wrong.

I would challenge you or anyone to post a chart or picture of professional trader I’m not talking about the one of bees trying to sell gimmicks online. I’m talking the big-money hedge fund guys that uses pivot points. My point is real profitable traders don’t use things like pivot points MACD STOC. Or any of that stuff. Those things are only created and sold to retail traders. Of course all the retail traders in the US might use the New York close. But then again 95% of those lose all their money and go broke.

Those 95% numbers are myth and are debunked…search the forums and Internet there are real data and are more close to 60-70% of traders who lose.

To bad Wiliam Greenspan isn’t alive, maybe then you could have told him that he was mistaken for using pivots :wink: here’s your professional trader making money of pivots…

[video=youtube_share;CpgtDbZmTKg]http://youtu.be/CpgtDbZmTKg[/video]

Unfortunately all that data is manipulated the brokers are very good at hiding the real numbers. An example being if you have an account with one penny of profit your considered a profitable trader. Also what a lot of brokers do is throw in a little bit of interest for your cash account. What this does is long after you’ve given up trading and forgotten about what little bit of money left in your account the value goes up by .00 whatever the next year and guess what you’re now a profitable trader. I do believe personally that the 95% number is incorrect I believe the actual number would be more like 99%. And that’s not including the traders that consistently blow out and refund their accounts. I need no one to tell me what works and what don’t. I profit far better than most retail traders. And I’ve studied the markets long enough. To know the fallacies of what the retail traders are being sold. Good trading to all Allen

This week’s price on cable, the only lines are weekly pivot (yellow) and today’s gmt pivots. (purple dotted)

Monday: price falls down to the magic yellow line and bounces 30 pips,

Tuesday, second try at getting through, no, another 25 pip bounce, then after large intake of breath (administered by it’s friend Mr Fibre) dives through the line, only to surface some 7 bars later, nope - now the magic line has become resistance, down we go.

Today: we are far below the line, everyone thinks poor old cable cannot come up for air, that yellow line has done the damage - then along comes Mr Fundamental, large tank of air in the form of good news in hand.
Up jumps cable - he sees the GMT daily pivot at 6767, bumps his head on that and knocks him down 20 pips, but now he has fire in his belly, he makes another push - up through the daily pivot, right through the yellow line - wow - more buyers have noticed, but no chasing, these are pros after all.

So Mr Pro, where will you buy please?

At the aforementioned daily GMT pivot of course.

Stupid pivots, whoever came up with the idea of folding little cards, I’m off to Moe’s :slight_smile:

Lol, and guess where price has settled for the close while I was at Moe’s, stupid pivots :slight_smile:

Edit: note also the value of GMT daily R1 (6795), price reached there with ‘fire’, i.e momentum, that same momentum brushed aside the weekly pp, R1 was it’s next hurdle, the level that the first TP’s were set (6800 less safety), probably set at London open, before the news.

Hi Drew,

Are you asking if there’s a pivot point indicator on Trading Station? If so, you can apply this by right-clicking on your chart and selecting Add Indicator. You can then search for “pivot point” in the window that pops up.

Please let me know if I have misunderstood your question.

Jason

Hi Allen, I’ve read few of your posts here on BP, but I couldn’t find the broker you use. I know that it is an ECN. Can you say more about it ?

The broker I use is MB trading and they’re out of El Segundo California. USA. I think they also have a UK branch.

Can anybody here tell me how or where to get the NY previous day data for each currency pair?

Well if your broker doesn’t have a NY closing time you might wanna get a demo with some other broker which does support it like FXCM, Alpari, Dukascopy, … etc…

People lost money because they do not actually know how to use pivot.