Prop firms and trading

So really, some of these other prop firms are cheaper. I was thinking you could just put $500 in your Axi account, let it sit, and get your funding, but then they have the Edge score thing, so you actually need to trade at least 20 times to get the score started. I don’t know if you get a 50 just from that, if all trades are winners, but that’s going to be hard for anybody to achieve, if you’re trying to keep that $500 in the account.

1 Like

It does! I think it’s worth trying if you have trading skills.

1 Like

Did FTMO or Axi say this?

Axi Select looks very scammy? They pretend to be FCA regulated but you actually have to deposit $500 to an offshore branch, not regulated by FCA at all! :roll_eyes:

Also in other forums people think Axi Select will be the next to be investigated, maybe prosecuted, after the My Forex Funds case.

Also they have let many people down before, apparently. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Let me set the record straight and educate you how prop firms work, in the markets there is a 92% probability of loss 92% of the time making profitability in the top 1%, the top 8% are breakeven, these numbers are validated by people who worked at brokers with access to P&L overviews.

Prop firms take a fee while you trade accounts via a test, paying a marginal $100s fee per month in return, normally you will spend close to $1,000s by the time you understand, only the top 1% make any profits and then they will come and go as it is unlikely they will be consistent over the course of months and definitely not years.

We’ve spoken to hedge funds that outsource their trading to basically prop traders and they struggle to keep their investors returns numbers stable because of these whipsaws, that’s with averaging AUM across prop traders, if you look it the other way around from an individual perspective it doesn’t work.

Here’s the thing with life, if you have something that works and is valuable it will be discounted to zero, no one will pay for it, why, simply because if they paid for something that works it would mean they couldn’t do it themselves and they would look stupid, so people take something that “might” work and try to curve fit it to work, this is the essence of prop trading.

Then why do prop firms exist, because 80-95% of their profits are generated from their fees, not from the trading profits, I’ve seen all the validated numbers and they reconcile to this fact, but as everyone needs to look for something that “might” work this is the route they take, now people can gain knowledge from the experience but usually less than more because they go in looking to succeed, instead of to not fail.

2 Likes

I just realised that Axi Select is also discussed in a thread right here.

The thread is spam really, of course, but with irony it also shows some of the problems with Axi! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

since you have linked it…

correction:
Axiselect isnt discussed on that thread per se.
it is a personal journal.
no irony there; apart from the irony that you are having issues of understanding it is a journal.
bcos as is, it does and will show my journey, for the good or the not so good included.
no spam will do that :slight_smile:

Hi,
I meant that in the worst-case scenario, I could lose $500 with Axi Select and 155 euros with FTMO. Subjectively, Axi Select seems more reliable to me. The broker has a longer history, so it doesn’t appear that they will disappear in six months.

I’ve never been interested in prop firms before, and to be honest, I’m quite skeptical of them. It’s like a gray zone for me. I’ve only seen news about My Forex Funds.

I’ve started paying attention after seeing the news that Axi has launched a new product for prop trading.

Thank you for sharing!

As they say, you won’t know until you try

Prop firms will continue to gain attention. If you’re good at trading, why wouldn’t you used them? Also, why are hedge funds using prop firm traders?

Is that common?

simple math, really :wink:

show you with one example:
you have 4000$ own money, and trading with a max dd -30%, ((-1200$.) which is more than you would normally want to see on your account anyhow if somewhat conservative trader), and make +30% for the month.
you made +1200$.

say you do this with a prop setup,
your 4000$ being your ‘master account’, having a 25x multiplier, and a 50% profit share; trading with a max dd -10% allowed, and making +10% for the month.
your personal risk? -400$ (-10% master equity). the upside? your profit! 10000$ x 50% = 5000$ + master’s +400$ (+10%) = +5400$

yes, such scenarios do exist.
meanwhile lots of traders dont have access to 6-7 digit personal funds, and taking the very high risk way to earn a very high return will inevitable come with some large losses too.
wouldnt take too many to wipe a trader clean when that happens.
trading for a living messed up further by the fact that often still would be in the need to withdraw money after a losing month as well. just bcos the majority of retail traders arent having that deep pocket, really.

does this help you? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea makes sense. A numbers game really. They get the fees if you stink. If you’re good at trading, they get the split of your profits. They just need the money to hand out in the first place.

Where does that come from? Is it always real?

I read on trustpilot many comments for different prop firms that even if you pass the challenge, they can still kick you out for whatever reason and there’s not much you can do.

On one occasion, the prop firm asked the trader to reveal his strategy because he was winning and of course he refused. Next thing he get the boot. One would expect that the firm should be very happy to have such a trader onboard simply to copy his trades but no.

So what is the safest prop firm? FTMO?

My opinion, from all I have seen and heard and discovered …

• The two safest and best and most honest are Tradeday and Topstep

• The best spot/CFD ones may be 5%ers and Lux (both use real funded accounts with real brokers not owned by the company, FTMO does not, this is a big issue)

• It is not a coincidence that the futures ones are better and safer than the spot/CFD ones (the same is also very true of brokers)

• FTMO may also be honest and reliable, I am less certain

• Many firms (like Axi, Apex, etc.) seem to be very, very dishonest and have really awful history

3 Likes

However, my question was whether prop firms are worth considering for beginners. I was wondering whether they are truly reliable, whether they provide the educational support they claim to offer, and whether there are quality advisors available who can help

To be honest, I thought the opposite. If a large broker with a long history launches such a product, then there should be more trust in it.

I kinda feel prop firms are more for established traders. They’re not selling themselves as educators, right? It’s about giving you funds. It’s about finding good traders that they can split profits with. And they get paid on both sides. We have to pay to play, and if we’re good we still “pay”. So they make money if we suck and they make money if we don’t suck. And most beginners…suck. All the broker stats that they have to show on their websites tells us that. It’s not a rumor. It’s reality. So to me, if I was a prop firm, would be thinking, more beginner traders suck and are really likely to fail at trading, I’ll make sure to make money off of them even if they suck. And so you have “entrance” fees. The small % of good traders will get their fee back, but that’s a small refund we’ll get back if they actually turn out to be good traders. Let’s make money off the ones that most likely won’t pass our challenge. They’ll be back again to try out, and each time we get our fee paid. It’s actually like a perfect setup.

I had a different business model in mind. One where the company cares about you as a trader, even if you’re a newbie. They’re down to teach you everything so they can earn a steady profit from your trades later, not just snatch your initial fee. It’s all about building a business that’s in it for the long run. This way, they profit from the trader, and basically, that trader could end up being their brand ambassador.

This would be great. Tell me if you find one.