Purple Turtle's 10-Week $300 FX Trading Challenge (Live Trading)

I’ve been in and out of this forum long enough but still haven’t quite made the jump. I’ve mostly been chit chatting with the wonderful peeps here and demo trading sometimes but I don’t feel like I’m actually taking it as seriously as I should be.

With my losses in crypto and babypips being free I figured what’s $300 to learn how to trade fx. I’m not paying anyone, I’m basically paying myself to learn. Hopefully I don’t blow it all up in less than 10 weeks because that would be…tragic. Not to mention, it will end my $300 challenge lol. But it’s all part of the experience.

Anyhow, I opened a live account last week and plan on putting my trades here although obviously last week’s is over now (I have closed my positions last Friday) so it’s more post-mortem than anything.

I’ve seen some trading journals and threads here get hammered with negativity so to be quite honest, I’m nervous about putting my journal here. So to the experienced ones (actually, everyone), I hope you go easy on me!

Without further ado, I shall now post my trade review from last week’s WEEK 1 #10WTC (10 week trading challenge for WTC).

It’s a lot easier to just trade and not have to write this down - especially with my day job so the goal is to at least post here once a week to give an update, whether a post trade review or open ones.

21 Likes

#10WTC Week 1 Review: 3 Trades (+199 pips, +$19.19)

I opened 2 trades last week. Which in hindsight was not very smart. With my puny starting balance of $300 and the minimum 1,000 lot sizes…this meant my risk % for my first-ever live forex trade was already at 3.6%. Not a great start but I didn’t realize this until after the trade was done so ignorance is bliss at this point.

The charts I’m adding are now days late since I just took screenshots today. I’m hoping my next entries won’t be so delayed.

Trade 1: Long GBP/USD

I entered at market on January 22 at 1.29597 with a 108 pip TP and 107 pip SL. I know this is horrible r:r but my rationale for this trade was pretty strong so I figured I’ll go in.

I went long because of an ascending channel I spotted and because it was also above the 50MA. ROC was also positive, these were all good signs. I mostly check 1D btw. Sometimes I’d go 1W. I don’t plan on looking at any shorter timeframes with my current schedule/setup.

A day later my TP level was hit. I made $10.80. But knowing now that I risked 3.6% of my account wasn’t great.

Trade 2: Long GBP/JPY

I entered at market on January 23 at 143.231 with a 91 pip TP and 77 pip SL. Not a great r:r again but the good news is my risk % is now lower(ish) at 2.2% being that my account was now at $310 lol.

Like my previous trade I also spotted an ascending channel. It was also above its 50MA with a positive ROC.

It took 2 days to hit TP and I made $8.30.

Trade 3: Long EUR/USD

I put in a stupid order after I entered by GBP/JPY. I had no reason for it. This was my first week yet I was already making impulse trades?? I got out about 3 hours later with a $0.09 profit. Why did I get out? Same reason I got in because “I felt like it.”

I don’t have a chart to show you because I didn’t even write a trade plan for it. I just entered this trade like I’m some hot ■■■■ lol. I got lucky I got out of that unscathed because surprise, I didn’t even put in a stop loss for that.

Anyway lots of lessons learned this past week. Mainly that I should stop putting random orders because I feel like it or because I’m “high from winning”.

I have 9 more weeks to go, I’m quite excited to see what the end of this #10WTC will look like.

This week ended with a $19.19 profit.

My $300 at this point was now at $319.19. (I say “was” because I’ve already put in 2 trades just today lol but you’ll have to wait until the end of this week to see how my trades turn out. Although that’s not even guaranteed because I don’t really have a set rule to keep a trade open for less than a week.)

Wow, I didn’t realize how time consuming this can be. Props to the people here who’ve been keeping trade journals!!!

8 Likes

Good on you Purple!

1 Like

Hey P, see if you can figure out what I am saying. Your entry should have been earlier, at where you stop was, and your TP should have been the open of the second red candle after the top.

However that being said, you did VERY well to get the direction right, and that is the first step. I like to look at every trade being a 50/50 chance to get that right, now since you were going long in a decent uptrend, you were at maybe 70% your favor then add maybe 6-7 % for the degree of the trend angle and the length of time of the trend and Waaa Laaaa, you have a winner instead of a wiener, and have stacked the probabilities in your favor. (actually we don’t stack the probabilities in our favor, since we don’t control them, but we assess the price action and past direction, then we put a number to it). I see traders short at the bottom, long at the top, long in a down trend and short in an up trend, and guess what, it does not work.

Now work on that Self Control a bit, well maybe a lot.

The Ever Probable VIPER

2 Likes

Thank you! Appreciate it. Hope your birthday celebration yesterday went well btw!

Thanks for checking out my humble trade journal @TradeViper! Appreciate the comments. Yup I see it. You’re right, entry should have been better. I’ll work on that one although you mention this part:

How can I better identify this for future trades? Do you have tricks/tips?

Week 2 has just begun so I still have a lot of days left to test this lol. I look forward to writing about how successful I was in this department for my next post.

Congrats on making the step to live trading, Purtle!
And congrats on a profitable first week!
Well done! Keep on succeding!

2 Likes

Good to see you posting your results. It can only be beneficial for you. Congrats on your first week and beware of frustration or revenge trades when the feeling inevitably comes at some point over the next few weeks.

Look to protect your earnings as well as increasing them!

Wishing you good luck and i will also be following with interest how you get on here!:grin:

1 Like

Thank you! Appreciate the words of encouragement. Means a lot!

Ain’t this the truth. Something I know I’ll soon experience. Thank you for the tips and also for dropping by here!

#10WTC Week 2 Journal Entry: The effects of losing and the pressure from winning

January 29, 2019

I may have made about 6% last week but that doesn’t matter because my losing trade on NZD/CAD is now making me real anxious.

Even though it was just a $3 loss and I thought I mentally prepared for that SL to also be hit, it still felt like I was already failing.

I’m acknowledging this feeling and reminding myself to proceed with caution. Can’t be overtrading or making willy nilly trades again either.

I was so calm last week perhaps because I wasn’t expecting much from my trades but now that I’m actually up a few bucks, I can feel the greed kicking in. Is it greed or is it that unnecessary pressure to continue winning? Either way, it can’t be good.

Today is day 2 of week 2 and I’m now starting to check out the HOURLY charts. This is something I’ve told myself not to do. I was confident in my setups yet why am I now doing this?

I also started checking the forums looking for discussions on pairs that I have on. I read @BaconSandwich’s post on a possible GBP mover and started to panic a little. I stopped myself from going down that rabbit hole, proceeded to write this entry, and went back to work.

Whatever happens, I can check it at the end of the day…I hope.

5 Likes

#10WTC Week 2 Journal Entry: This emotional rollercoaster from trading will age me 10 years

January 30, 2019

I woke up this morning to all three of my trades in the red. I actually felt good about it for 10 minutes (“see you’re fine with losing trades!”) but then started to panic a little. Thankfully, I have a day job and other matters at home I have to take care of which prevented me from obsessing over this.

I checked the charts again midday and saw that all of my trades were in the green again which should make me feel good but why do I feel FEAR? I feel like it’s going to turn against me and all the unrealized gains I’ve made will vanish into thin air and will instead be replaced by losses.

Writing that made me realize that’s stupid. I’ve already considered this possibility. Why am I still worried?

2 Likes

#10WTC Week 2 Journal Entry: A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

January 31, 2019

Trade details to follow at the end of this week but last night I closed my long EUR/USD trade. It was a ways off from my TP but seeing how it’s been languishing around that area, I figured I might as well get out vs. waiting for it to hit TP which would give me just another $2.

The way I saw it was: keep the $7.25 now or wait to get $9 but risk losing all gains and more?

@anon46773462’s line came to mind:

Closed the trade, took home $7.25, went to bed and woke up to EUR/USD dropping. Phew. That was a close one.

3 Likes

as Manxx eluded to, protect you equity and the earning will take care of themselves.

As long as you maintain solid risk management and don’t ever risk more than you can afford to lose (risk tolerance) you will have a lot less stress,

Rule #1, protect you capital
Rule #2 don’t forget rule #1.

5 Likes

This sounds like a sensible analysis. However, there is a danger here, too.

When trading live there is a strong tendency to start watching the dollars on each trade instead of the strategy behind the trade.

I am assuming that you are trading on a discretionary basis meaning that you have a method which indicates when to enter and when to exit but you judge yourself whether and when to actually act on these in the light of current factors.

The danger here is that one tends to take profits prematurely to “protect the equity” but the stops usually get left where there are. Although a particular trade may end up in profit this way, one’s overall P/L over time will be diminished, even destroyed, if a string of stops gets hit if you regularly cut your profits early.

It is important to remember that trading is not about each individual trade, it is about whether your method produces more profits than losses over a series of trades.

I think what you did here was sensible. Whenever a trade does not seem to be performing as anticipated (and that can include a time element) then it is sensible to cut it and wait for the next. But beware letting this develop into a habit where every time the price pulls back from a high/low you close it to “protect” it.

Personally, I find it more painful to close a position early and then watch it proceed to my original target than to get stopped out.

Just remember to focus on your on-going overall P/L and not just on the trade in hand - whilst retaining the discretion to interrupt the trade if some new factor (such as time) suggests that the original plan is unlikely to mature!

Actually the concept of “protecting your equity” refers more to the balance in your account rather than the pips on any open trade. The point here is to remember not to suddenly take an exceptionally large position either because it seems such a certainty or as an attempt to retrieve an early loss. In other words, do not risk losing a chunk of your core equity by taking an oversized risk. There is nothing more soul-destroying than losing a week’s hard work in 5 mins!!! :slight_smile:

Well done! :smiley:

5 Likes

Yes! This is something I always keep in mind. I’ve read enough horror stories to know to take this one seriously.

This was basically what happened. I got impatient and thought that I should be out of that trade within a span of X days when in reality, I wasn’t looking at a particular timeframe when I entered.

This is also the trap I’ve fallen for - focusing too much on a single trade. Although for this EUR/USD trade I closed early, I think it went well.

I also proved to myself I am not impatient nor have tunnel vision by not doing the same thing with the current trades I have on. I still have two trades open - it’s been about a week now and now I have to revisit that plan and “re-strategize” from where I currently am.

That’s interesting. I don’t know yet which camp I’m on. I think for now I’m more focused on not losing my gains - which could be a dangerous thing, I recognize.

Oh thankfully this isn’t something I’m likely to do. I’m far too risk-averse to pull a stunt like that! (Or am I? Only time will tell! But I sure hope not!)

Thanks for the detailed feedback @anon46773462!

#10WTC Week 3 Journal Entry: Closed Trades Recap (EUR/USD and NZD/CAD)

February 7, 2019

I closed 2 of the trades that were opened last week, this week. Here’s a recap! Will add my thoughts after I finish all the trade recaps.

Trade 4: Long EUR/USD

This was the trade that I made willy nilly the week prior but upon closer look, I decided it’s a good trade to get into. Saw it bounce off its bottom support channel, and though I thought I was already a bit too late, I figured I could still jump in since it was now above its 50MA. Entered at market at 1.14276 or the orange line in the chart below.

Solid green line was my original TP (about +100 pips) but after watching it over a few days, I thought the movement was a bit slow so I got out at that dotted green line.

I took home about 72 pips or $7.25. Not bad.

This trade took about 3 days. Opened 1/28 and closed 1/31.

Trade 5: Short NZD/CAD

This was an annoying trade. One of those trades 1) I don’t think I would have been able to wait for and 2) wouldn’t have known how to set its SL properly.

I spotted another channel and because it was below its 50 and 200 MA and also hitting resistance (I ignored the fact that it was choppy, grave mistake), I figured I can go short. Another big factor I considered was its longterm downtrend on the 1W chart.

I set my stop loss at the top of the previous resistance area and within a day, surprise, I got stopped out.

While the loss wasn’t much and it was truly my invalidation point, now that I’m looking at the chart and seeing it hit its TP. That’s real annoying.

I lost about 40 pips or $3.02.

#10WTC Week 3 Journal Entry: Closed Trades Recap (EUR/GBP and GBP/JPY)

February 7, 2019

Trade 6: Long EUR/GBP

Spotted a channel where I thought the pair was trying to hit its mid-range level. It was on its way up when I spotted it so I thought I’d ride the trend.

Got in at market (0.87434, orange line) and set my SL at the bottom of the channel/previous support (red line).

Every time I thought it would keep going up to hit my TP, it would slow down. I wasn’t sure how to identify its “top” and I wasn’t going to wait several more days for this to develop. I had already held this one for over 6 days.

So I lowered my TP and got out at the finely dotted green line. I suppose it’s a good call as it continued its downtrend from there. But still, I could have set that lower TP level a bit higher.

I made about 45 pips or $5.93 from this trade. Hey, a win is a win.

Trade 7: Short GBP/JPY

This pair broke off its ascending channel and opened lower than its previous candle. I thought this was going to go on a downtrend from when I spotted it.

Entered at market (143.124) set my SL ambitiously at 147.000 lol and called it a day.

For many days, this one just kept hovering around the entry point which made me both anxious and annoyed.

Also going on its 6th day, I couldn’t wait any longer (I’ve moved TP’s higher and higher to accommodate this slow movement). I got out at the dotted green line.

I guess it wasn’t all that annoying being that I still took home $8.77 or 96 pips.

Although if I had waited one more day, I would have hit my 2nd TP level today. Oh well.

:star: My account balance at this point was now at $338.12. Up about 13% since I started.

1 Like

#10WTC Week 3 Journal Entry: Closed Trades Recap (EUR/GBP and GBP/JPY)

February 7, 2019

These two trades are very special to me in that they’ve elicited very strong emotions of REGRET. And this emotion went two ways too: regret from not getting out sooner and regret from actually getting out sooner. It makes no sense.

Trade 8: Long AUD/JPY aka Regret From Not Getting Out Sooner

First up is my biggest loss as of yet. Perhaps because I don’t pay attention to fundies/economic events. Perhaps because I hold on to hope that price will reverse before I hit TP. Or both.

So I saw this setup on Tuesday morning and I thought, sweet, this is an easy one. It’s started to go back inside its S&R range and there was what I thought, a clear uptrend move. I suppose my mistake was not letting that day candle finish. But I will soon realize there’s a far graver mistake.

Entered at market (79.521, orange line) and went on about my day.

At around 8:30PM EST of the same day, I started seeing huge moves down on the 1H. All Aussie pairs basically started BLEEDING. I even posted a topic here asking whether that was related to Trump’s SOTU (I found out quickly after that that it was because of the RBA).

So I was watching my trade basically teeter around my SL and back YET I did not get out. Why? Because I thought it would go back up. Silly me. I went to bed hoping it would bounce right around (but not at lol) my stop loss and reverse back.

Of course I woke up to getting stopped out of this trade with a $12.35 loss / -135 pips.

I was aiming for a 185 pip profit, in case you’re wondering. But anyway, I could have stopped it sooner but I clung to hope and greed.

Can’t win em all.

What sucks though is after this happened, I kept beating myself up for the many mistakes I’ve made. I know I always say it’s better to have learned than not to have tried but it’s hard to shake that feeling off.

I lost a good chunk of my wins just like that.

:star: My account was now down to $325.77 from $338.12.

Even though overall, my account is still up 8.5%, I still felt crappy about this. And as @anon46773462 has warned me, I now had that tiny tiny desire to revenge trade.

Trade 9: Long USD/CAD aka Regret From Getting Out Too Soon

I guess this one’s slightly better because at least I was still in the green.

I saw this setup the same day I spotted the AUD/JPY trade and I thought the uptrend move here was clear as day. What sealed the deal for me was how it bounced off its 200MA.

I was confident in this setup.

True enough, it started to follow its upward path and 2 days later, it was moving near what I initially set as my TP (+100 pips). I took out my limit order and watched the 1H. I figured I can grab an extra 50 pips out of the significant moves it was making. (Could it be because I was trying to recoup my $12 loss??)

And I did. I ended up exiting at the +150 pip mark for a profit of $11.26.

However, after I exited, it continued to go up. I know I shouldn’t feel too greedy and that wasn’t really in my original trade plan anyway but I couldn’t help but think: it would have been enough to cover my AUD/JPY losing trade - AND a bit more!

As with all closed trades, it was over and done with. I made what I think was the best decision at the time. It could have gone the other way too. Who knows.

:star: Anyway, my account at this point, is now back up to $337.03. Sadly, it feels like I’m back to where I started.

I have one more open trade this week. Thankfully it’s in the green. If I close it before this week ends, I’ll post it here.

Within the last 3 weeks, I’ve made 9 trades with 7 of them winning. And though only 2 were losing trades, the 2nd one was pretty painful.

4 Likes

Hey Purple,

Best of luck buddy - I missed this thread when it started - now have it bookmarked!!

Funny what you miss when arguing with other people!

Hope it all works out!

1 Like

You’re a good guy. I don’t want to take over this thread with my big kahunas, but you’re going to be fine.

@purtle,

Looks like you’re doing well! That’s great news!

any insight as to how you feel and approach transactions trading a live account versus your demo account?

Slow and steady wins the race! Perhaps you’ll win by a hare! :rofl:

Looking forward to joining you on the live side shortly!

KC

2 Likes