Rekindling the joy of trading

At the moment my trading motivation is at a low.
I got burned last week after being up some nice profits.

Feel a bit unwilling to trade, almost like I have to force myself to get back into the arena.

I know that the solution is to re-enter slowly with smaller positions until I can get my sense of confidence back and the fear will go.
Ultimately the real goal is to regain the sense of enjoyment from making trading decisions and sticking to a proven plan. The feeling of accomplishment garnered from following the rules.

Rediscovering the fun aspect of trading and taking it one trade at a time will get me back into a good head space.

1 Like

I feel for you. But my post isn’t going to make you feel better either.

It’s not meant to be fun. It’s not even meant to be enjoyable. Forget passion for it and realize that the honeymoon is over. It’s not like an ordinary day job where you may look forward to going into the office everyday. It’s a possible way of earning a living but where the odds are stacked against you before you even begin. See it for what it is i.e. a means to an end and nothing more. Once you approach it like that: no longer do emotions come into it. You don’t get blind sided and get down in the dumps when you’ve had a bad run. You accept losses as a part of doing business. And hopefully you come out at the end with a profit and not being too miserable a human being for your trouble.

So get back to it.

2 Likes

@Dpat; you are outstanding; I came here to add few words according to thread but I see, you already described it so smartly!

3 Likes

First of all it is important to take a rest. At least one day per week you should stay without trading and anything related.
Another point is that trading should be interesting. Your main feeling should be curiosity. “Will this idea work?” “What the main principle behind that situation?” and so on. In such case you would like to pay more and more attention to trading, market analysis and generation of new ideas.
Sending orders is only a part of whole trading process, the smallest one. Most of the work lies in deep analysis of the market situation, evaluation of fundamental and technical criteria and things like that.

1 Like

right, rest is very important, if you don’t want to atleast trade on demo once a week, test your strategies, frame new ones. its good to have a stress free day!

Irrespective of a trading method, a trader can feel thrilled when he acquires money from trading. But the main objective for a trader should be to maintain his earnings here. Every trader must go through proper trading approaches for maintaining the earning stream. And along with positive thinking every trader must try to be realistic and patient in the negative moments.

that must hurt
i know the feeling
we all know how to handle the joy of winning but losing most of us do not know
if any body from the veterans has a suggestion on how to avoid that pain of losing please share

I also do not like that never ending cycles of trading for most part, I simply do not see how people could be happy that way. That takes a lot of stress and I want to go out from long term trading to short ones to see something out of it really.

1 Like

It’s easy to lose perspective and when constantly pushing forward we then don’t progress and feel like nothing works. Take your moment and recognize how far have you come and come back with a good trading strategy.

I can feel you , winning is always motivating and losing even more demotivating. But i believe once you start trading you also learn that every day can’t be a good day for you . Some day you’ll make profits beyond expectations and some days unexpected losses . All we can do is stay calm and not be disheartened by losses and learn from each day’s experience.

Fear was blocking me. Once I got over that and accepted the idea that I will take losses, it got a lot easier.
It no longer requires willpower to trade. Even if I’m losing, it’s all fine.
Sounds cheap and simple but it really was the defining factor for me