Results or Process

On a topic we were sharing ideas about definition of success. and someone said that “for some traders just making money means they are successful and for some others, as long as they follow their plan, they consider themselves successful”. And I think it is true. We should define our success based on whether we are in the process or not.

What do you think guys?

2 Likes

I agree with the idea that success should be defined based on an individual’s personal goals and values. For some traders, making money might be the ultimate goal, while for others, sticking to their trading plan and following their strategy might be more important.

It’s important to recognize that success is not a one-size-fits-all concept. Each person’s definition of success will be unique to their individual circumstances and aspirations. It’s essential to take the time to reflect on what is important to us and what we want to achieve in our lives, and then define success based on those values and goals.

Moreover, it’s important to remember that success is a process, not a destination. It’s not just about achieving a specific outcome or goal; it’s also about enjoying the journey and the progress we make along the way. Success is not an overnight thing, but rather the result of consistent effort, hard work, and perseverance over time

4 Likes

Without the process, how do you achieve consistent result?

In baseball a .330 hitter who has mastered his swing gets consistent results and regularly hits home runs without really even trying.

A .220 hitter who swings for home runs might hit more of them than the .330 hitter, but he also likely strikes out 3x more and does not get on base nearly as much.

Master your craft and the home runs will come naturally.

3 Likes

So let us suppose the goal is to win the lottery. My fellow poster and I both buy 50 tickets weekly. The first week we start the program I happen to win and collect 40 million while my fellow poster continues the process of buying his lot of tickets for the next 10 years and does not win anything but small prizes amounting to 5k. And people are trying to convince me that my fellow poster is the successful one because he sticks to the plan, follows the process consistently, and that success is the process of buying tickets and not the actual destination of winning the lottery. lol.
By their logic the 99% of traders who are losing money are actually successful because they follow their process consistently. Absolutely incredible.
This is why a lot of the threads I see here with similar specious reasoning I dont bother to get involved because apparently I am a mad person.

3 Likes

Comparing the process of creating and following a trading strategy to picking or auto generating lottery numbers to me are very different things.

Of course nobody wants to continue trading an unsuccessful trading strategy, your logic isn’t lost here. But most professional traders typically use 1 strategy and know it inside and out because they’ve studied past results and refined it over years to work consistently for them. That will never happen with the lottery.

3 Likes

they are to anyone, i would hope

in this context, the key difference is that the outcome of the lottery draw is totally random (i.e. absolutely nothing you can do yourself can change or influence it), while the other example (one’s trading strategy) very clearly isn’t

they’re therefore not in any meaningful way comparable situations in this context (though there are, of course, other contexts in which they might be)

5 Likes

It’s all about your mindset. I believe that the process is more important than the outcome, and I always encourage everyone to do their best. However, it also depends on the individual. For instance, consider an athlete who has trained for two years to win a medal, but gets injured the day before the Olympics. The world may not applaud them, but in his mind, he is still a winner.

I think it’s important to have your own mindset and perception of success. Even if you’re not yet winning in Forex, if you believe that you’re putting in your best effort, then you can still consider yourself a winner and successful.

3 Likes

I think the end result is what really matters, so you gotta make sure your process is on point to get there. Otherwise, the process is just meh.

2 Likes

I think it would be wrong to define success as either result or process. Any process, (whichever it may be), bring results. Any result comes through a process. They coexist to bring success.
I personally define success as getting positive results after following a well defined process.

3 Likes

I like the way you say it. The process is important, but the result is also as important

3 Likes

Yeah, success means different things to different traders. For some, making money is key, for others, following a plan is enough. but success is about more than just the end result, it’s also about the process and journey. gotta define what success means to us and work towards it with a clear plan and mindset. wat do you guys think?

Yo man, check it out. I don’t think we should define success as just the result or the process. both are important, and they work together to bring success the process is what leads to the result, and the result is the outcome of the process. they’re like two sides of the same coin you know what I mean? so yeah success is the combination of both the process and the result.

1 Like

End result matters, but process is important too. Gotta make sure it’s on point to achieve success.

It depends on the situation, but both the result and the process can be important. For example, in things like sports or business, getting the outcome you want is usually the most important thing, and the steps you take are just a way to get there. On the other hand, in things like learning, personal growth, or being creative, the process can be more important than the end result. That’s because the skills and knowledge you gain and the experiences you have along the way can be just as valuable, if not more so, than the final outcome.

I understand that. but in general, I think being focused on the process is better than focusing on the result. If you focus on the process, the result would be what you want or even better. But focusing on the result doesn’t mean that you’re doing the process correctly.

Well I agree, but you should also keep an eye on the goal too. maybe just as a reminder of why you are engaged in the process.

Yeah, you’re right. I can’t disagree to that.

1 Like

I think everyone’s answers are good; for arguments sake I ask the question what did we all get into this for?

If you did it to see if you could stay in a process then great but I believe we all got in this industry to make money.

For me there are little milestones that are successful and lead to ultimate success: which is being profitable.

1 Like

Well as you said “everyone’s answers are good”. and we all have our own definition of success and that’s pretty normal. In general I like talking about this stuff because I get to know how others think.

In that case, good luck mate :wink: :+1: