RJs Trading Journal

Did a ton of programming in Pinescript and Python over the weekend fyi. I particularly liked reading about Jon V’s algorithmic trading and machine learning platform built in Python and the Oanda API at GitHub - jonromero/forex_algotrading: My Forex algotrading platform in Python - based on my posts at http://jon.io . Good stuff I’ll be looking at more in the next few weeks.

NZDUSD Long

BUOVB formed on D1 in an uptrend. Along trendline , SR and EMA’s. So there is support and PA, and we are in and uptrend. Problem is a lot of uncertainty right now with US China trade war and US yields underperformance and fears of recession. Continued good relations is good for NZD. There is not a lot of conviction in the market in the form of volume around this PA.

The pair seems undersold on the H4 chart, but a lot of bearish volume.
My fear is that it may take several days to make that TP level - and there may be fundamental events that change the conditions of the trade before it hits.

I only risk 1% just to see if I’m right. The only doubt I have about this trade is:
-only one PA signal, the BUOVB
-a lot of questions around fundamentals

I would rate this a 2, although I’m not sure about this. Could be a better setup. It’s supported by SR(?), trendline, and EMA’s. Nothing to stop it from reaching TP at next SR zone.
My fear is that I’m trading just to trade. Also - this conforms to my trading rules, but political situaton makes it a little risky.

See NZD/USD Weekly Price Outlook: Kiwi Rally Runs into Resistance

Confirms bullish bias, not sure if that will help this trade though.

We had a bullish move last night, but price pushed down again today.

NZDJPY Long

On D1, BUOVB and a bit of a retrace right now may be a good entry. BUOVB appears on trendline, EMAs, and around SR area. See https://www.tradingview.com/chart/NZDJPY/mqONKmJo-NZDJPY-TREND-CONTINUATION/ Risk on in EUR last night after positive jobs report.

This trade meets my rules, I only take 1:1 RR right now because I’m still not that confident. also, there is the 79.23 SR which may prevent it from hitting my TP. Decided to take the trade with a lower RR ratio - and some worries that I may be trading too much. Also some worries that I’m taking this trade at a time when I have some high anxiety levels, it does meet my requirements though. Rating would be a 2-3 due to SR zone.

NZDJPY and NZDUSD Longs

I closed both my trades. I know i violated my trading plan. NZD seemed to be really struggling for a couple of days now, despite weakness of dollar. I didn’t like 3 pinbars in a row. I know I should’ve let it play out to its conclusion. I don’t want to be in the red again with my account.

Right now I made about $1 on my accounts. If these trades turn out to be winners in the next couple of days I’ll be kicking myself. I know I’m not sticking with my plan.

I’ve made a slight change to my Trading Plan - I’ve added this:

After I am in a trade I will not move my Stop Loss unless it is in my favor. I will manually exit a trade if I determine that it will not go in my favor - I must document my justification from exiting trades prematurely.

It turns out I was correct in exiting my trades yesterday as NZD pairs have continued to decline.

1 Like

Weekly Review - 12/16/18

Notes:

Overall I broke even this week, I made about 2 bucks after closing out my trades early.

1. I did a ton of reading
  2. I took 2 trades - I closed them out early for a small profit after I saw they were not going to go my way and was correct.
  3. I did a lot of programming, and am currently writing out scripts for a couple of people on Tradingview.

Lessons Learned:

1. End of the year - last 2 weeks - high volatility, low liquidity - not necessarily best time to trade.
  2. It’s ok to close trades early if PA indicators reverse and original basis of your trade is invalidated, be sure to document your rationale.

Plan for next week:

1. Keep following news and looking at charts. Take trades if you are really convinced it’s a good decision
  2. Python lessons
  3. Start with TV indicator requests from 2 people

Weekly Review - 12/23/18
Notes:
No trades this week. I didn’t see any good ones, and was hesitant due to S&P situation and end of year. I just did some scriptin.
Lessons Learned:
Plan for next week:

1. Keep following news and looking at charts. Take trades if you are really convinced it’s a good decision
  2. Python lessons

Good on ya, keep it up. I see you grabbed some materials from my and James16 PA threads. Smart move.

Thanks for the great thread, I’ve really studied your main points but haven’t spent a lot of time yet going through all of the pages with the individual trades and questions people ask. Do you think there is value in doing that? It’s a pretty old thread so the setups would be invalid at this point.

1 Like

Weekly Review - 01/05/19
Notes:
I have not been trading, I’ve just been reading a number of books and studying some stuff on youtube. I also have been writing Tradingview indicators for other people. I’ve not been trading due to - week off for vacation, then really crazy volatility in the markets, kind of scared me off the charts for a while. I’m also sort of in a bad state due to some stuff in my personal life - I’ve learned in the past that I make bad trades when I’m not in the right frame of mind.

Lessons Learned:
Plan for next week:

Keep following news and looking at charts. Take trades if you are really convinced it’s a good decision
Python lessons

The setups have long passed but the principles are timeless. You can get an idea for what setups suceeded and what failed. I almost always posted setups before I took the trade, not after it was closed, so there is some added value as well.