SARS-like virus from China now in S. Korea! :(

I was just scrolling through my Facebook account when I saw this article. :frowning: It’s super alarming how these diseases are re-emerging. :frowning:

I hope we all stay safe and healthy! :open_mouth:

1 Like

It’s spreading across Asia. Cases have also been confirmed in Thailand and Japan. Stay safe everyone! :mask::mask:

This symptom is being controlled, hope to be resolved sooner.

It’s scary to imagine that a virus that we know nothing about it raking havoc in Asia and with the air-travel it can appear in Europe and in the states

Oof. It’s now in the US.

The CDC has deployed monitors to 3 US airports. JFK, LAX and San Fran if I recall correctly. They haven’t done this since ebola was spreading like crazy.

And it might be spreading human to human, where before it was animal to human.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-virus-surge-in-new-cases-raises-concerns-about-human-transmission-ahead-of-holiday-travel-season/2020/01/20/06d077fc-3b6a-11ea-971f-4ce4f94494b4_story.html

Scary!

Market reaction to coronavirus.

Scientists now say that the Wuhan coronavirus is most likely …

The Wuhan Snake Virus

Business Insider article –

From AFP (Agence France-Presse, Paris, France)

‘This time I’m scared’: experts fear too late for China virus lockdown

Excerpts —

Quarantine is “purely an illusion”, said Bruno Halioua, a historian of medicine at the University of Paris IV.

“Quarantine has never worked. Each time, there have been problems.”

And after seeing the situation in Wuhan first-hand, Guan Yi of Hong Kong University shared an equally pessimistic outlook.

“I’ve never felt scared,” Guan said. “This time I’m scared.”

From Reuters

China New Year Holiday Extended as Virus Death Toll Climbs to 80

Excerpt —

LATEST: Death toll rises to at least 80. Confirmed cases in China jump to 2,744. China extends New Year holiday to Feb. 2. Stocks in Japan, oil drop while yen rises.

President Xi Jinping’s government is under pressure to combat an epidemic that shows little sign of slowing down. There are 2,744 confirmed cases on the mainland, the National Health Commission said Monday. Deaths in the country climbed to 80 from just two a week ago, as Hubei province announces 24 additional fatalities.

Anxiety is growing amid evidence that the disease has an incubation period of about two weeks before infected people start to show symptoms. That raises the possibility that people carrying the virus, but not showing symptoms, could infect others.

Just took another turn. A confirmed human-to-human transmission in the US.

Death toll is 171, and 8,000+ confirmed cases in China.

But let’s all remember the flu has killed something like 8,000-20,000 just this flu season per the CDC

Yes the only difference is this is something they never dealt with a “new plague” if you will. That means it’ll take a reasonable amount of time to find a vaccine and I think the cautionary tale is how it quickly spreads and understanding how it’s passed on. I definitely think it’ll be in the backburner later but since it’s an unknown and the markets are known for loving uncertainty all it does is create extra volatility.

11 confirmed cases now in US :fearful:

Are you guys at all worried about this? Or just watching but really thinking it’s not something you or you know will get? :open_mouth:

Hello.

I’m from the Philippines.The first Ncov death outside China happened here. They say the virus won’t really survive here because of the heat and humidity. But think it’s still better to be safe than sorry.

Sure hope that’s true. Meanwhile it’s winter in the US, does that mean it will thrive here :hushed:

I’m not a scientist, but if this virus is anything like most viruses, even the flu, then heat and humidity of where you live will have minimal impact reducing the chances the catching it.

And you got my brain thinking. I did a search and it looks like some science folks in the US studied this very question.

Read this. It’s really interesting: Study: Flu likes weather cold and dry or humid and rainy | CIDRAP

To provide an independent check on the findings, the team also used epidemiologic data from nine countries participating in the World Health Organization’s global flu surveillance program, FluNet. The countries—Spain, Tunisia, Senegal, Philippines, Vietnam, Colombia, Paraguay, South Africa, and Argentina—each provided several years’ worth of data. .

The scientists gathered data on temperature, relative humidity, and precipitation for each of the sites. They used the temperature, relative humidity, and atmospheric pressure to calculate the average monthly specific (absolute) humidity, meaning the ratio of water vapor to air.

By comparing the flu patterns and climate data, the researchers found that temperature and specific humidity were the best individual predictors of peak flu activity, the NIH release said. They determined that in temperate regions, flu was more common 1 month after periods of the lowest specific humidity, which coincided with the coldest months.

“In contrast, sites that maintained high levels of specific humidity and temperature were generally characterized by influenza epidemics during the most humid and rainy months of the year,” the NIH said.

So basically, you’re safe if you don’t live where it’s cold and dry or humid and rainy. Whaaaa!?!?

Latest stats

Hellooooo! :slight_smile: I’m also from the Philippines, and I’m not sure if you’ve already heard but the first death outside China happened here in the country. :frowning: I wanna stay positive and say that this virus won’t survive in our climate, but I wouldn’t want to take a risk. :frowning: