Scalping For 100-200 Pips

what a great thread thanks P1PTRAD3R for taking the time :slight_smile:

I am new to forex trading, made my first ever demo trade yesterday and today, up 45 pips so far…hehe. I have a few questions on your techniques and if you would recommend someone like me that is so green trying to scalp the market.

1. When you draw out your trendlines what chart time frame do you use, 1 hr, 4 hr, daily, weekly.

2. You said you don’t use indicators for your positions was wondering how you judge if the market is over or under sold. I am currently using two indicators MACD cross over and P SAR on a 5 minute chart and have had some good results catching a move early. One thing I have noticed in regard to oversold overbought pressure is if you have consecutive longer candles in the same direction (bulllish or bearish) it seems there is a reversal in the near future (not a major trend reversal but just a reversal for a shorter period like a few hours), is this a way to gauge if the bulls or bears are exhausted and to expect the other side to start gaining ground?

3. Could you explain your risk management techniques. You said you have a 7-10% drawdown does that mean you risk 7-10 percent of your total account size on each trade? And using your 30k lot size for a $30,000 total account size does that mean each pip is worth $3. If so then if you are risking 10% on a trade ($3000) you will get out of the trade if the market moves against you 100 pips, is that right? Do you use a 2:1 risk ratio on each trade, so if you are willing to lose 100 pips, then you see the potential to make 200 pips on the winning side?

Sorry for all the questions, if you could answer any of them it would be much appreciated.

thanks

took 2 more short trades in the GJ, for +22 +20

DECEMBER 12TH’S GRAND TOTAL: +100 PIPS
14 DAY GRAND TOTAL: +2,411 PIPS

P1PTRAD3R

took 2 more long trades in the GJ for +20 +20 near minor support on the 1 min chart.

DECEMBER 12TH’S GRAND TOTAL: +140 PIPS
14 DAY GRAND TOTAL: +2,451 PIPS

P1PTRAD3R

Hi P1PTRAD3R,

I have read your topic and I really am impressed, I have just 3 questions:

1. You set the Take Profit when you open the trade. or you decide it and close the trade when you feel comfortable.

2. If you set the TP when you open the trade, how you decide it ?

3. I use Oanda too, is there an option where you can set your Stop Loss at 10% of the account, or you decide yourself when to manually close your trades ?

Keep up the good work! :wink:

Thrasher,

I’m glad to see you are interested in the thread feel free to ask any questions you want.

1. I have a 3 monitor set up so I use trendlines on all of the time frames. Many times I don’t actually put them all in I just eyeball it.

2. To help judge when the market is overbough or oversold I really just use heikin-ashi candles when you watch them you can start to see when price slows down and jump in. A large part of it is just feel and experience the more you watch the tape the better feel you will get.

3. You have half of the money management right, your $3 a pip scenario with a 30,000 account is correct, but I risk 1000 pips not 100 ($3x1000 pips=$3000 loss). I guess my risk reward is technically risking 1000 pips to make 20 pips, but as you can see that’s not exactly what I’m doing. I’m trying to make 100 trades at 20 pips before I ever take a 1000 pips loss. Now the important thing to remember is that a 1000 pip loss is in all of my positons combined. So if I get in 1 trade and it goes against me 100 pips and I add and get into a second positon I will close both positions at the same time when my first positions reaches down 550 pips and my second positions is down 450 pips because I will be down a total of 1000 pips. If i was only in the first position i wouldn’t get out until the single position was down 1000 pips. I hope that clairfies any confusion you have about my money management. I actually think that if you are a new trader trying out this strategy you should only trade half your account size. So if you had a $30,000 account I would only trade $1.50 a pip to learn with. A 10% loss is tough to deal with if you are an inexperienced trader. Even with $1.50 and 150 pips in profit you can make $300 a day.

Best of luck to you and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

[B]P1PTRAD3R[/B]

thegame05

1. I have a standard TP automatically set for 20 pips in the GBP/JPY sometimes the price moves after the ticket is already up and it ends up being like 18 or 22 pips but 20 pips is my standard TP always set. If it gets close to 20 and I’m watching it sometimes I might take a +18 or somthing and other times if something feels off about my position and I feel uncomftorable I might take a very small gain, a break even, or even a loss. Those decisions all come down to experience.

2. I am not sure if there is that option in Oanda I do all of my stop losses manually. I figure out what price I would be down 10% in all of my positions combined and move all of my stop losses to that price.

Good luck in your trading

[B]P1PTRAD3R[/B]

What spread are you paying on the GBP/JPY?

took 3 more trades in the GJ before the day was up, sorry for the delay. took a breakeven, +14, +16

DECEMBER 12TH’S GRAND TOTAL: +170 PIPS
14 DAY GRAND TOTAL: +2,481 PIPS

P1PTRAD3R

PIP CHASER,

I have oanda, usually 4.5 pips till london close(11am est) then usually goes to about 6.5.
[B]
P1PTRAD3R[/B]

What brokerage are you using? :confused: Im using Interbank FX and the pip spread is 9 pips for gbp/jpy!!

Thank you,

X

x,

i trade with oanda, their spread for gbpjpy is 4.5-6.5, it is not a fixed spread. Oanda has the lowest spread on the gbpjpy.
[B]
P1PTRAD3R[/B]

morning everyone, i am back…sorry i couldn’t post my trades yesterday but i do have my chart with my trades that i will post.

[B]P1PTRAD3R[/B]

I was very short biased in the GJ all day yesterday. I took on 10 trades yesterday, held 3 positions overnight. Ended up making 190 pips on the day. Check chart for more details.
+0
+20
+20
+20
+20
+18
+16
+15
+24
+37
+190 pips

DECEMBER 15TH’S GRAND TOTAL: +190 PIPS
15 DAY GRAND TOTAL: +2,671 PIPS

P1PTRAD3R

took 1st trade today for a +11 pips, near the pivot.

DECEMBER 16TH’S GRAND TOTAL: +11 PIPS
16 DAY GRAND TOTAL: +2,682 PIPS

P1PTRAD3R

took a short trade for a +12. GJ trading a little sideways…be cautious for a breakout in either direction.

DECEMBER 16TH’S GRAND TOTAL: +23 PIPS
16 DAY GRAND TOTAL: +2,694 PIPS

P1PTRAD3R

took a short trade for a +10in the GJ, with rate cuts coming at 2:15pm est i would not be surprised if the GJ goes sideways till the news release. Taking quicker profits today, i do not want to be in the market when the news comes out.

DECEMBER 16TH’S GRAND TOTAL: +33 PIPS
16 DAY GRAND TOTAL: +2,704 PIPS

P1PTRAD3R

took 3 more long trades in the GJ, +0 +17 +20

DECEMBER 16TH’S GRAND TOTAL: +70 PIPS
16 DAY GRAND TOTAL: +2,741 PIPS

P1PTRAD3R

Are you still in the EU short mentioned in post 131?

Looks like you entered that one at around 1.2850.

EU is above 1.38 today. Are you just going to let it hit your 1000 pip stop loss limit or did you actively manage it somehow already?

Colin,

Yes i am still underwater in 1 EU position short from 1.2850. I currently have a stop loss at 1.4200. I feel the EU will have trouble getting over 1.40, especially with the rally it has had in the past 10 days.
I am looking to get into another short EU position at 1.3950 to manage the position with a 200 pip TP in place. But the hard stop loss will be in placed at 1.4200.
I will keep trading and locking in pips while i hold this EU position.

[B]P1PTRAD3R[/B]

took another short scalp in the GJ, took a little time to fill but worked out just fine. +15

DECEMBER 16TH’S GRAND TOTAL: +85 PIPS
16 DAY GRAND TOTAL: +2,756 PIPS

P1PTRAD3R