Scalping strategy to finish the year strong

@AmericanTrader Isn’t it the most amazing feeling, waking up to Take Profit notification on your phone :slight_smile:

Yes, it is amazing, but I don’t sleep well with those trades open. I’m still too small time. I will say that it is very comforting knowing that I can make up for any loss pretty much whenever I want to.

Managing trades is the best feeling knowing that it’s up to you whether you win or lose most of the time.

1 Like

I agree with you. However, I’m getting quite comfortable letting trades run and managing them when needed. That’s only because I’m using higher time frame as it keeps me mentally relaxed.

Smaller timeframe still gives me anxiety :confused:

But yes, the ability to manage your risk and trade accordingly sets you free from vicious cycle of stop loss hunt.

1 Like

How are you trading that 4H chart? Trend or countertrend? What are your entries and exits?

1 Like

I’m trading counter trend.

Using same criteria for entry and exits as the strategy suggest for 1 min.

My exit point is ema 50 on 4hr chart. First entry is when a 4h candle is detached from all emas, I have 5 ema on chart too. 5 ema really helps in making good entries and remaining patient while price is not moving in your desired direction.

In this trade my first entry was at 1.2577 and I kept building my position as price kept moving upwards. Now my average price (short) is 1.2614 and take profit is about 100 pips (falls between 50 and 100 ema).

2 Likes

Many people here mentioned ‘counter trend’ trading and I wasn’t sure what it was. Now I know. Whoa, you guys are BRAVE.

2 Likes

Trends within trends within trends.

1 Like

Wow! I just closed out a trade a few minutes ago on usd/jpy. In the past, there is no way I don’t take a big loss on this one. Now that I know it’s just a matter of time Until I win, just before the news at the top of the hour that came rocketing back in my direction and I closed everything.

I get to walk out the door on a winning trade, instead of having the frustration of a big loss all day. For me, it’s a big motivator.

2 Likes

this is right …

we all need to bear in mind that trends are defined and identified within a specified timeframe, that it’s normal for an instrument to be trending unidirectionally in one time-frame and either ranging or even trending in the opposite direction in another, and that therefore what’s “counter-trend trading” in the timeframe we happen to be looking at could be open to very different interpretations on a different chart-speed

@flamingoproxy
Exactly. If I have a counter trend trade going for more than a few minutes I always, always, look at the five and 15m charts. The longer the trade goes on I have looked at the hourly and daily charts even.

1 Like

Took me a long time to understand this. In the beginning I set all trades of a single pair to go in the same direction no matter what the timeframe I was trading. Sounds silly now to type it out.

2 Likes

Has anyone noticed this? I have because I am obsessed at looking at the EUR/USD. At around 8.35-8.50 AM GMT the real trends start with currencies or they get more pronounced if they are already in a trend. It’s not an exact science but I see it all the time. Look at the PSARs in this case? Can anyone else concur with this observation?

Here is a selection of main indexes which heavily affect the currencies that you will be trading:-

It’s like all the big players are waiting for retail to pile in at 8.00 AM before they make their decision or maybe trying to catch out the guys from the Asian session?

If I look at the euro from this morning, this would have caught out a lot of buyers who piled in at 8.00 for instance thinking there was a trend emerging? Well it did to me anyway :rofl:

Here is EURJPY

USD/SEK

EUR/GBP

1 Like

Great news!

After being down over 900 pips, I am now down only around 700.

2 Likes

900 pips? :scream:

Which pair are you trading?

1 Like

Heart attack!

1 Like

@s22d
Gbp/JPY. Down about a thousand pips now. Was over 1300 a while ago.

@samewise

No. I’m still doing my Training lot sizes. So I’m down about $300 right now

1 Like

Was over 1300 a while ago.

According to your attachment above, you mean 130 instead of 1300? It can’t be 1300.

@froghunter

14 entries, cumulative.

But I am out driving right now. All entries are 0.03. so I was just dividing 30 cents into $300 to come up with 1,000 Pips

*Just got home now.

Okay that makes sense now.

I calculate based on my average entry price and it’s distance from current price.

I was down about 200+ pips on usdjpy last week and ended up gaining 100 pips eventually. Had I let it run, I would have gotten about 300 pips from it.

Point is, you will eventually get out of this trade in positive. Just got to remain patient.

1 Like