Scalping strategy to finish the year strong

@SurprisedMoose
I agree that traders need to find a strategy that fits their personality. For me, I enjoy the shorter time frames with lots of signals so I can be done with it in the morning and not worry about it all day. But I see a lot of people who prefer hourly or longer timeframe charts and like to decide on a 1:1RR or 1:2RR and it works for them. I have gone down both paths and now have settled on what I prefer.

The channel strategy has made me a lot of money and l am still amazed that people lose money doing it. But maybe that lesson is more for me than for anyone else. It shows me that it still boils down to psychology. No matter what rules we make for trading, some will prosper using them and some wonā€™t. Plus, as you said, the subjective parts take time to perfect. That isnā€™t a good or bad thing. It just means its ok if we all prefer different strategies.

I am still doing the PSAR Crossover and King. Your concern about the King is certainly legitimate, having no stop loss is usually a very advanced trading style. I do use a SL on it in case of catastrophe although Iā€™ve not ever needed it. Since I almost always win the trade (make money when they are all closed) King still makes sense to me. But I do not trade with large lot sizes. My experience is that I average 10 open trades before closing them all out when price finally returns to the ema. With King, I could be done trading for the day after an hour. But its not for everyone.

Letā€™s just say that if you have $10,000 in your trading account, $300-$500/day is not that hard to average with any of these strategies, even with several losses, if you choose to master them. $500 a week is ridiculously easy.

If you want to flip an account, King is the way to go.

I know you will find a strategy that suits you better. If you are like me at all, you will love one and use it for a few months and then chase another one that looks even better, then another one, then another one.

Thatā€™s part of the fun though.

However, my experience of losing for 2 years was not fun. Now, that part is behind me and I hope if it is not already, it will soon be behind you as well. Based on your thoughtful posts, I have no doubt you will be successful.

2 Likes

Sorry to butt in but I think ATā€™s strategy is good and he certainly makes it work, though as he says, a bit of discretion and chart time is required.
I have mentioned, earlier in the thread, that I have used a somewhat similar strategy with MAs. However, I think that King of Forex strategy, as you mention, is a mean reversion martingale system, which is potentially suicidal! You could do untold damage adding to losing trades.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with mean reversion, but King of Forex doesnā€™t seem to have a clue and I would be inclined to give him a rather large swerve.

1 Like

@Johnny1974
Great post, as always, Johnny.

People should hear the good and the bad.

Thanks for your response, AT. I donā€™t think the 32 EMA is flawed, itā€™s just me. Also, in backtests, the 25/150/PSAR crossover strategy worked well for me, so Iā€™m going to forward test it soon. Stomaching the wide stop loss will be harder live than in a backtest. So Iā€™ll see how it goes.

I donā€™t think King of Forex is suicidal. Itā€™s based on the idea that trends are limited on smaller time frames and thereā€™s more range behavior on the 5m and 1m. It has worked for me though, so Iā€™m going to keep working with it. I just want to define my absolute risk when using it. I was thinking of a total dollar loss on the account that will call for me to flatten all of my positions. How do you set up your stop loss?

@SurprisedMoose
On the PSAR crossover, I put the sl just under the PSAR on a long position.

On King, I donā€™t have a specific sl level, but maybe we can play with PSAR settings that would help?

The thing about King is that you are actually excited to see a giant green candle or a giant red candle. Your eyes light up! They are gifts from the forex gods. When everyone else is buying after a big green candle, you are selling.

95% of traders fail. You will be doing the opposite of them.

But King is not only counter trading. There ARE situations when you go with the trend. Especially in ranging times. Everyone else is losing money, so itā€™s one of the best times for you to make money.

1 Like

Wow, Iā€™m a dummy. Didnā€™t realize I was on a different TV tab that had the EMA Channel Cross indicator set to default settings. I was wondering why my alerts were so quiet!

This morningā€™s King trades on Eur/Jpy: 3-0.
Average number of entries: 5.

60 pips profit.

Total trading time 53 minutes.

I traded the last 3 market moves. Up, down, up on this 5M chart.

Itā€™s not my King chart so the emas are my PSAR Crossover settings.

Here it is on my King chart

Looks like a good buy entry point for counter trading.
Iā€™ll check back and see how it would have played out.

Giving lots of room for profit.

Green arrows show where entries would have been.
2 of 3 entries in profit here.

Thatā€™s a win

Price returned to blue 20 ema.
Very nice WIN.

All trades would be closed at this point.

For King traders looking for price to return to the 50 ema for even larger profits. It just happened.

Had I entered trades on my above demonstration, I would be at my hundred pips for the day because of that 10 to 15 minutes demonstration trade.

Got my settings fixed, and then pulled 28 pips from a signal yesterday on EURUSD. Nice!

1 Like

@samewise
Samewise entering beast mode

Iā€™m learning the hard way. Had a couple big losses last week and the week before, and totally lost the desire to trade. Ofc if I had my SLs set as I said I would every trade, I wouldnā€™t be in that situation. Man trading is so much about discipline.

Ainā€™t it the truth.

I lack the discipline to be disciplined in any way.

Iow-. I feel you.

1 Like