Self Doubt Already

So I have been practicing just on a demo account not even with real mula. And already ugh I feel my psyche hit me. Like I lost 5 trades and I am just like how the heck am I gonna work through this lol?

I am definitely going to keep at this but ugh this is hard. If anything I am learning and I gotta get the trading journal started right now.

5 Likes

Don’t worry about the trading journal. You probably already have a ledger w/your chosen platform, anyway.

I want you to try an experiment, okay?

Follow these steps:

1. Look at the chart you are currently trading, nothing else. No indicators, no MA’s, nothing. Only the candles. No top-down BS, either. Just the chart you are trading.
  2. Make a determination of the direction. If the candles are “marching” upward, go long. If downward, go short.
  3. Set your stop above or below the last higher low (uptrend) or the last lower high (downtrend). It’s easy to spot.
  4. Set your profit target an equal distance as your stop. For example, if your stop is 50 pips, your take profit will be 50 pips.

Let’s see if you can win at least one trade with this method. Let us know how you did.

3 Likes

Get familiar with this chart. On the left column is the win rate. If a trader has a 25% win rate, the chances of that trader losing 5 trades in a row is 100%. 11 losses in a row is 82.2%!

A good trader can have a 50% win rate, and getting 11 losses in a row is 1.9% which means it’s not impossible for even a good trader to get 11 losses in a row sometimes. Expect to have regular losing streaks as a newbie.

Trade what’s in front of you. Forget past losses and even past wins. It’s natural for losses to hit you hard. Keep practicing. In time, you will not get affected by losses or wins, and you can trade like a machine. Your trading journal will get you to that point a lot faster.

3 Likes

I’ll give that a try! I am doing much better today and ready to get back at it!

1 Like

ty for this!

1 Like

Had a 12-trade losing streak but I’m still here! You just keep trying! The trading journal will for sure help since you receive encouragement from other people here.

1 Like

The journal sounds like a good idea. Share your strategy and what you think your mistakes are.

I also suggest you examine your losses and identify what patterns exist in your losses.

Keep going!

Hey, totally get the struggle! Trading can be a roller coaster. Kudos on keeping at it, and starting that trading journal is a power move! Keep learning from those trades, and you’ll conquer that learning curve. You got this! :muscle:

I’m not sure I won any trade during my first few months on demo. :sweat_smile: But when I did, it really felt super amazing. :blush: Being profitable in forex really takes time and lots of effort so don’t bee too hard on yourself. :blush: We’re rooting for you here! Once you win, we’ll celebrate with you. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s okay & there’s always room for improvement. You’ve got what it takes to do even better, so keep pushing forward! :grinning:

If you really wanted to be a trader, spoiler alert, this won’t be the last time you will encounter this kind of situation. You must learn how to handle the stress.

If you’re looking for higher win rate trading strategy, chances are the risk and reward is going to be 1:1 or less. For a 1:2 & 1:3, it is normal for your win rate to be around 30% - 36%. Sometimes even 29%. Don’t be dishearten by the numbers. If you hold your trade long enough (depending on situation of course), you wins will always cover your losses.

Another thing is, whenever you think your strategy is not working, don’t tweak it immediately. Zoom out the chart and see first. Are you trade a ranging market or trending market? Most strategy will be having a hard time to work on a ranging market. So, it’s normal if it’s not working during these times. If you have the urge to trade during ranging market, you must make you book your profit earlier than usual. But, from my personal experience, trading during a ranging market is very emotional. It’s better to just let it go and wait for the next opportunity.

4 Likes

That’s an useful insight. I was just reading the whole conversation, yours just turned out to be quite a thing for me.