Short-Term Forex Technical Outlook: GBP/CHF

The GBP/CHF pushed higher this week and made another attempt to retrace the sell-off from the previous year, but failed to break above 1.7500-10 (61.8% Fib), and the pair is likely to hold a broad range over the near-term as investors weigh the outlook for future policy.

[B]Currency Pair: [/B]GBP/CHF
[B]Chart:[/B] 60 Min Charts
[B]Short-Term Bias:[/B] Flat

[B][U]Analysis[/U][/B]

The GBP/CHF pushed higher this week and made another attempt to retrace the sell-off from the previous year, but failed to break above 1.7500-10 (61.8% Fib), and the pair is likely to hold a broad range over the near-term as investors weigh the outlook for future policy. After reaching a high of 1.8976 in November, the pound-franc plunged to a low of 1.5124 on 12/29 following the rise in risk aversion, and the lack of momentum to push back above the 61.8% Fib could lead the pair lower over the following week. At the same time, long-term expectations for higher interest rates in the U.K. paired with the rise in market sentiment may continue to push the British pound higher however, as S&P downgrades the outlook for Europe’s second largest economy, fears of a deepening downturn could weigh on the exchange rate going forward. Over the next few hours of trading, we are likely to see the GBP/CHF fall further to cover the gap from the 120 SMA, and may work its way towards 1.7040-50 (50.0% Fib) over the remainder of the week to test for support. Nevertheless, as risk trends continue to dictate price action in the currency market, a rise in risk appetite may continue to lead the pair higher as investors move into higher-yielding assets. Be sure to check out other Technical Reports from DailyFX for additional information on the major currency pairs.

[I]To contact the author of this article, please email: <[email protected]>[/I]
[B][I][I] Related Articles:[/I][/I][/B]

[B][I][I]Dollar Bolstered as Debt Rating Confirmed, Risk Appetite Eases[/I][/I][/B]

[I][B]US Dollar / Japanese Yen; Strong Bearish Bias against 96.75[/B][/I]

[I][B]Cable Extends Gains to Easily Exceed 1.6000 Barriers (Daily Classical)[/B][/I]

[I][B]US Dollar Forecast to Lose Further versus Euro, Japanese Yen[/B][/I]