Should i dropout of highschool to pursue Trading?

My name is Nasir from USA, 15y/o and what I’ve noticed is that school is doesn’t teach anything about Trading, i really want to be constantly profitable by 18, i also cut out gaming and social media to focus on learning how to trade. Any advice that can help?

1 Like

There are several really brilliant investments that have the potential to make a profit over 30, 40, 50 years - a quality property in a sound area; a secure stock-correlated pension scheme; and a solid education.

The one that is free is a solid education. It also strongly enables the other two, plus so many additional decisions in life.

Remember, there is more than one objective from education - it is not knowledge of French or of the laws of physics or even a bunch of qualifications, Its not even just access to a secure income. What most people fail to learn from education is how to learn - this is perhaps the most important benefit of the lot.

14 Likes

I would recommend studying forex alongside your high school studies. Quitting high school would be putting all your eggs in one basket and add to the pressure of becoming profitable.
Graduating high school will give you more options to support you in pursuing forex.

13 Likes

Stop thinking about making money, Forex trading is highly speculative for any Noob and most lose their capital very quickly. As you seem to have a gambling mindset, I suggest you continue with your education geared towards what would help you when future trading. Major on Economics, Finance, and Technical Analysis, for starters.

8 Likes

thanks for the advice :pray:

2 Likes

definitely not, Get your education and trade part time. Learn the skill, the patience while getting an education. You will always need something to fall back on.

1 Like

Nasir4,

I think that it is great that you have a plan to succeed in trading, but don’t rush the possess of high school just to gain money. You should become apart of a club or create a club like the FBLA Future Business Leaders of America that they normally have in schools. Definitely, continue to grow in your knowledge in business and trading. Just like what tommor mentioned, “education is how to learn.” Stay encouraged.

2 Likes

The other day I was trying to figure out how to incorporate a ROC (Rate of Change) indicator into my Expert Advisor (Forex trading robot) and to my disappointment, the MQL4 language doesn’t have a built-in “iROC” indicator I can just call. That means I need to build the logic in code myself. No problem, right? ROC is calculated thusly:

And you just stuff that into an array and have your way with it.

Which got me thinking, “Man, I wish I would have been concerned with more than girls during HS math class”.

In reality, this isn’t rocket science, and I’m sure I’ll get my indicator written, but if I wasn’t a complete ****-off in math class it would be hella easier.

My point is that you’re only half-way through high school, and while it might seem like the stuff they’re teaching you doesn’t apply to Forex trading, it does. The math matters, the history and economics matter, as does social and international studies, and even computer programming. Knowledge is power in nearly any form. Good luck my friend!

6 Likes

i suggest you never to think of it, leaving your studies for trading is not recommended. A lot of broker wont accept your registration until you turn 18. till then focus on studies and learn trading side by side.

2 Likes

I definitly would not drop out of education. If you decide in the future that trading is not for you (not saying this will definitely happen) you will be better off with some form of formal education behind you.

Whilst school may not teach you how to trade you can definitely develop other skills that would directly benefit you as a trader (maths, psychology, programming, geo-politics etc.). You also have the social advantage of being able to connect with others who may feel similarly to you. There are all kinds of clubs and groups in schools, how about setting one up for those interesting in trading?

1 Like

If by trading you, mean being in and out of markets on a day to day basis, then my advice to you, is that unless you have some special innate instinct for the markets (and some people do), then anything less than a few thousand of hours screen time, deploying your strategies in real time (or on a platform with a good replay mode), will result in you being deprived off all your capital in short process.

Learn the basic principles, but then realise that all you have learned is the same basic ideas as the 85% of losing traders active in the markets, and then start to develop your own edge based around those ideas (or even trading against the n00b setups), Through doing so over quite literally thousands of hours of screen time, recording your trades and backwards analysing them, you will build up an intuitive instinct for the market (which is the core ability for any successful trader), and you will start to find you just have a knack of looking at the market in the right ways, more often than not…at that point, you will realise all the setups that you have meticulously learned, are nothing more than a means of framing your risk in the market.

This is something that you need to in your leisure time, whilst you study, go do an apprenticeship, or go on to further education.

Trading is an extremely difficult endeavour, and by it’s very nature, most who try it will fail, but if you have the appetite to put in the groundwork and take the hits (emotional and financial) that will inevitably come your way, then at 15 years old, you most certainly have time on your side. But take your time. Don’t jump the gun.

2 Likes

That should be the last thing on your mind, dear friend. Knowledge can be acquired anywhere and everywhere whether it be in the classroom or outside of it. You can focus on honing your trading skills without it taking a toll on your education

2 Likes

The few real profitable traders are either MBAs or PHDs so dropping high school isn’t a great idea.
Trading is presented as easy by borkers and many sites that make money helping brokers to find fresh meat.
It is not rocket science but it is almost as diffcult as rocket science.
I am a graduated chemist and I would not suggest trading to anyone without a degree in scientific subjects.

1 Like

Don’t drop out of school just yet!
Trading is accessible to everyone, however, only people that start with the right information and guidance grow successfully. When it comes to trading education, you’re at the right place. BabyPips is all you need and you’ve taken the right, first step. Study everything that BabyPips has to offer, research, and find mentorship or a mentor, and start trading your strategy whiles still in school.

About your strategy, because you have time to grow and develop it yourself, I recommend applying the scientific method—when you get to the charts, just study how price moves preferably in candlestick charts and no indicators. Write down your observations, test and repeat. Focus on patterns that recur, write down your observation, and test again. The goal to profitable consistency is to be first consistent in your process. This will take some time (which you have), resilience, patience, determination. Remember that the right mentorship will reduce your workload, and save you time, money and frustration if you want to cut your learning curve.

You’ve started at a great time Nasir, just know that only your trading record (a consistently profitable one) will tell you when it’s time to make the switch to full-time; because trading is all about your performance. Don;t quit school or a job to trade without evidence from a year-long trading record. All the best!

2 Likes

@CavaliereVerde

What a lot of bollocks you talk.

2 Likes

Listen, don’t quit high school for trading. It’s a very hard thing to do, especially at first! If I could do it over again in this internet age, I would give myself my own education after school through YouTube and the internet. There’s plenty of courses and strategy’s to learn and day trading is a lifetime journey to be a profitable trader consistently year after year. The way this world is going , your going to want a solid guaranteed income while trading can be a side hustle or a secondary one. Good luck and let the trading gods be with you on your journey!

1 Like

Please stay in school. Trading at this point in your life should be a learning experience. Practice makes one perfect and my advice to you is to use your spare time and practice with small money on a real account. I do not believe that demo is the best way to learn how to trade because it doesn’t give you the same anxiety of real money trading.

I know very successful traders without MBAs and PHDs, so I won’t agree with this part of your opinion.

2 Likes

Lesson 1 - Never rely on a single soruce of income as you are one step away from ruin.

Make sure you stick at your education and fill in the gaps left by your normal education by learning how to trade, how to think properly, how to understand money etc.

1 Like

Are they without a university degree?

It is a bit like dropping high school to make money as brain surgeon or bridge designer.