Simple 5 EMA High/Low scalping strategy

So I have been giving this thread a lot of thought. I have been trading for 10 + years and 5 of them has been in forex. This is my full time job, so I hope I can help with this thread. I think that there is a lot of possibility to this method, but one has to be smart about it. Counter trend scalps are perhaps the most risky of trades, so if you try this method, please be forewarned!

First off, one must consider the currency pair to use. There has to be a good movement in the pair, and the spread has to be low. Even if you are trying to snag 4 pips, and with a low spread, the movement of the pull back has to be at least the 4 pips you want, plus two pips spread in and out, so you need a movement of at least 8. If your pair only moves 60 pips a day, you will never win. I recommend looking at AJ, CaJ, EA, EJ, EU and GU. All are moving at least 100 pips/day and the spreads on most brokers are under 2 pips. Depending on your broker you may even get spreads of <2 on all the yen pairs. If you take a smaller TP, it will push your Risk to Reward ratio too high and one loss will put you way back, you have to win way to many to just break even. A RR of 3:1 needs to be at least 75% wining or you will lose overall. The concept of doubling the lot size following a loss is the basis for the martingale strategy with is famous for wiping out accounts. If your strategy has a less than 80% win ratio, ā€œdoubling downā€ will just get you out of the game all that faster.

Secondly, we need to consider the break out of the PAC (Price Action Channel) The 5 smoothed high/low channel has been well used and you can find many threads on how to trade it. I know this thread has been using 5 ema and not smoothed, but you can play with what fits you best. I currently trade 5 smoothed PAC break outs. The 5 smoothed PAC is good because it contains the majority of the price movement, some say that all candles inside this channel are not good to take signals from because they often bounce back inside the channel and ride along it. It also nicely provides a border around the 14 linnear weighted, weighted close moving average which is also a very well known and well used ma. The trick here in this thread is to distinguish what I am going to refer to as a weak break out, vs a strong break out. I have been trading strong break outs for a while so I am interested in identifying the weak ones. For the purpose of this thread I will discuss only the weak break outs, you can PM me if you want to talk strong beak outs.

Ok, so to determine a weak break out, I am a fan of indicators. A weak break out is distinguished from a strong break out by the strength of the trend. A longer trend indi will confirm a strong break, a shorter trend will tell of itā€™s exhaustion allowing a quick scalp. So I have been testing this for a few weeks and tried all of my tricks in my bag, and I have a suggestion for the group to play with. I originally thought that the RSI (2) might have some possibility, but in even a quick trend you will lose big. I propose a quick trend exhaustion method of three indiā€™s: Awesome indicator set to (1, 5) and a CCI of 2, and confirmation with the ADX of 3. You need all thee in agreement to take the trade. All three red on top of the PAC, all three green at the bottom of the PAC.

Time frame will depend on your gestational fortitude. I donā€™t think the 1M is safe, not enough movement to get the 8-10 pip movement needed to make a profit. I personally trade the 5M, 4pip TP, 10 Pip SL, however, upon visual inspection it looks like the 15 and 30M would work as well, but with lower frequency of signals. It isnā€™t perfect, but it has potential. Of course any improvements are always the purpose of the threads and are always welcomed.

So here is a screen shot to demonstrate my thoughts. The candles with the dark red and blue stripe in them are the ones that have the rsi colorbar, indicating those candles that close above/below the PAC with the RSI (2) over bought/over sold criteria. As you can see it signals almost every candle in the up and down trends making this a dangerous combination. The hollow red/green arrows are those that meet the close outside of the PAC with the AO and CCI which I have labeled 2/3, also not the best combination. The white hollow arrows are what I have labeled 3/3 ENTRY are the candles that close out side of the PAC, with all three of the AO, CCI, and ADX (also called DMI) in agreement. Which is at this time, what I think would be the safest entry for this strategy. Also, not perfect, but filtered for the trends. The safest would be to wait to enter until the current candle trades past the close of the signal candle.

Hi; this indicators repaint?
Tks.-

I have been using all these indis for a long time. The arrows on the above chart, I drew in, the indiā€™s do not give the arrows. All MTF (multi time frame) indis will repaint until the close of the higher time frame candle. ie if you set your MTF dmi (aka adx) to the 15 min candle and you are on the 5 min chart, you can expect it to repaint up to 3 bars on the 5 min (there are three 5 minute periods in 15 minutes). However, I use the mtf dmi for the visual color bar, but since it is set to the current charts time frame it does not repaint. I do not personally use the rsi color bars so I canā€™t comment on those, I just knew I had an indi that some might like.
Good question and good review of MTF indiā€™s.

Hi Dovetrader,
first of all thank you very much for your tips.
Iā€™m trying to test your system on my demo account. But something seems strange.
For example on M5 EUR/USD today, I never see a situation like one you posted in you image. It is possibile that in the indicator you attached the color are switched?

Thank you very much.

snip

Hay snip84. I checked yesterday and there was at a glance and in the morning hours, only one set up that would have been a ā€œwinnerā€. As to the indi color question, I am a creature of habit, I like all my indiā€™s to agree on color: bull=green, bear=red. I do not use the rsi chart bars, but yes, they are reversed, default shows over sold=blue, over bought=red. I personally think that the rsi is not a good indicator for a weak break out, but identifies the current mini trend very nicely (which is the opposite of what was suggested earlier in the thread-back test for yourself). Let me be perfectly clear, I do NOT trade weak break outs. I trade strong break outs, and this method helps me to identify a trend exhaustion and allows me some insight as to stay or go in a trade. (in other words, you are getting in as I am getting out -think about that for just a minute). As you can see by the pic that there were several set ups that matched my ā€œ3 strikes and you are inā€ method, and only one of them was profitable. Suggestion would be to wait until the current candle trades below the signal candle (top of PAC) for a short, and trades above the signal candle (bottom of PAC) for a buy. Also, I think that some thought should be given to the width of the PAC. A PAC that is only 5 -10 pips wide (from top to bottom) is more of a trending market, and almost impossible to scalp even 5 pips. Even with a two pip spread and no slippage, you need a pull back of at least 9 pips to snag 5). In the pic, the one trade that would have been profitable has a PAC width of 15 pips, where the other two had a width of <10 pips. When visually back testing a method, I always add 5pips to the movement above what I want (a movement of 10 to get 5) to see if a method would be profitable. If trading a more volatile pair like the yen, almost double the movement. (if you want 5pips, the yen moves 5pips like you and I breath air, you may get stopped out way easier with a 5 to 10 SL, so you almost have to double your SL, but then you can almost double your TP, your choice)

This weak break out method is a counter trend scalping strategy. They are very risky and I do not recommend them for a newbie. There is a reason every one says ā€œthe trend is your friendā€. If you only want 5-10 pips it is SO much easier to get it going with the current than against it. This thread is for the weak break out, and I will only post in reference to that strategy and try to help as best as I can. Any one, at any time (threads lasts for years, I frequently read threads that are old) who wants to talk strong break outs can certainly email me and we can chat (I LOVE to chat), but I wonā€™t discuss them here.

Hello everyone,

Iā€™ve just joined babypips - so I could interact in this discussion.

I think Iā€™ve found a powerfull indicator which improves the winning percentage. It will exclude bad trades from when the market is trending. So it will make you trade in countertrends and not situations where there are too much downward/upward momentum (when a pair is trending). So Iā€™ve applied this to stocks and then Iā€™m trading weekly call/put options on major stocks/indexes (SPY, AAPL, LNKD, GOOG, RUT, QQQ etc) - but it works in FX too.

So Iā€™d ask if anyone could help me backtest my strategy which is a variant of the initial strategy but it takes RSI, True Strenght Index and OHLC-bars into account too.

So if anyone know how to backtest - I would be very gladā€¦

Here is the strategy (30 min to get more pips and less signals)

1. BUY signal

OHLC-bar close < EMA 5 (low) and True Strenght Index < |0,30| and RSI (2) < 20
ā€“> Enter in the next OHLC-barā€™s open (if itā€™s horizontal with prior OHLC-barā€™s close) {GREEN DOT)
ā€“> Exit when price has reversed to EMA 5 (HLC) {RED DOT}

1. SELL SHORT signal

OHLC-bar close > EMA 5 (high) and True Strenght Index < |0,30| and RSI (2) > 80
ā€“> Enter in the next OHLC-barā€™s open (if itā€™s horizontal with prior OHLC-barā€™s close) {RED DOT)
ā€“> Exit when price has reversed to EMA 5 (HLC) {GREEN DOT}

I know you will get less signals - but the 30 min and the True Strenght Index is protecting you from a trending marketā€¦

So catch more pips and get less signals - which are more winning I think.

Can anyone try to backtest this strategyā€¦ cause Iā€™ve used for equites and FX and been profitable the last monthā€¦

Wow. amazingā€¦thank you for This Simple ummā€¦i dunno what to call it. anyway. Big Thanks To You Danny K. Looking Forward for another ā€œMoveā€ā€¦
:35:

Thank you very much. It really A BIG Helpā€¦

Good day

I just want to make sure of a few things quickly, so I placed my 5ema hi low and 5ema close, so basically for an entry you wait for a candle to open outside of the hi or lo and then enter?

Hi,

Iā€™ve actually turned this system into an EA for MT4 and 5.
I have also got a Price Action EA.

msg me for details.

EDIT: And a Indicator that shows you where to enter a trade Long/Short at the beginning of a bar. Works on 1min - 1 month

Look for BB squeezes too :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ā€œInpuov;520743ā€]Hi,

Iā€™ve actually turned this system into an EA for MT4 and 5.
I have also got a Price Action EA.

msg me for details.

EDIT: And a Indicator that shows you where to enter a trade Long/Short at the beginning of a bar. Works on 1min - 1 month[/QUOTE]

Interesting would like to know more. For some reason says your not accepting imā€™s so drop me a messag about this.

Thnaks

Dear sir,
you have attached Danny 5EMA file is not complete .ex file.For this I can not use it.So please attached it again.Then I download and try to best.
Thanks REZA

hi danny,
thanks for the effort on the development. as mentioned in comments, this is a very useful scalping system especially in ranging markets. the only thing we should try to put on your work is to is to find a reasonable way to manage the price races. if we are in a trade in the opposite side the race would be a great chance but if we want to enter a new trade and at the same time a race is starting, we can face one, two or even more repeated stops. but i still consider the method one of the most effective strategies iā€™v ever seen.
some thing else, have you written an expert adviser to trade based on the strategy automatically? i am trying to do so but there are some problems. iā€™d be glad if you help on the issue.
regards

hi reza,
the file is a template. load the template in mt4 window. it will work

hi all,
i am in trouble with automating the strategy. has any one created an expert advisor for the strategy?
any help would be appreciated.
regards

Someone tried to use this strategy into an EA. Just wondering if anyone made one that is consistently working and has a high win rate?