Simple trading systems MA+

I thought of sharing a simple MA cross system that I have been testing for the past couple of months. I only tested this with EUR/USD daily chart. So not sure about other time frames.

Starting this week, I have decided to test this with the following pairs

eur/usd
usd/chf
usd/jpy
usd/cad
aud/usd
gbp/usd

I will try my best to update when I make a trade. Since I am working with the daily chart, you will have to wait for a while to get into a trade, but once you are in, you could ride it and get good profits. But as any other system, some trades do go against you (not the holy grail people). There are flaws that I might not be recognizing. So, I appreciate your comments about the method and how to improve it. I would also like to see someone using this in other TFs.

I would also really like to know how to re-enter a trade when the MA cross happened a while back. This is one thing that I am struggling to address. I tried using MACD to identify re-entries, but wasn’t successful. So I would appreciate yours suggestions.

OK, let’s get into it.

Chart Time Frame : DAILY

Indicators
5 EMA applied to LOW (Red in my chart)
20 EMA applied to LOW (Yellow in my chart)

Other indicators (might be useful, but not part of my rules. I just use them if I think the trade is going the other way.)
Remember, too many cooks spoil the soup. So be careful with too many indicators. I myself might be using too many :slight_smile:

Parabolic SAR
Step : 0.02, Maximum : 0.2

MACD
Fast: 12, Slow : 26, MACD : 9
Apply to Close

May be useful (updated on September 05, 2013)

1. I also use PSAR with the default settings. This gives me an early signal when MAs are going to cross.
  2. Drawing the SR lines will also helps when entering / closing a trade. If I did do this, I think I would have minimized the initial 200 pip loss. Well I put that as a learning opportunity.

*** update on 05-Jan-2014 ***
Changes that I did recently to my method.

Entry Rules :
Buy : 5 EMA crosses above 20 EMA
Sell: 5 EMA crosses below 20 EMA

When the EMAs cross, I completely ignore all other indicators, EXCEPT the SR lines.

1. When the MAs cross and if the price is too close to the SR line (about 30 pips), I don’t enter the trade. I then wait for item 2 below

2. If the MAs crossed a while back or if I want to re-enter a trade or price was too close to the SR lines when the MAs crossed, I wait for the following:

a) price to break through SR line
b) Next candle must open below / above the SR line

******* End *******

Why I use 5 and 20 EMA applied to low, well during my testing, I thought this was the best. If anyone thinks there are better settings, please update the thread.

SL : 150 to 200 pips
(Remember, I am trading off the daily chart. So need to give the trade plenty of space to breath. Again this could be adjusted for different charts)

Other points : When my trade goes over 150 pips, I move my SL to open price. After that for every 10 pips, I move the SL to SL + 10

Once SL moved and if the trade goes against, I don’t move my SL. But if I have a feeling that the trade is going the other way, I close my trade. Then wait for days/ weeks for another trade.

Again this is not a 100% win always system. It has flaws and I really appreciate your comments on improving it.

Following screen shot is the trade that I took on Aug 22 2013 around 6 p.m. (EST) on usd/jpy

usd / jpy, buy @ 98.70, current price : 98.96

Thanks for sharing. Keep us updated how your trade is going.

usd / jpy down by 50 pips. No new trades yet. To keep the clutter away, I will only update the thread if my SL / TP hit or changes to the trade (SL / TP move) or new trades.

Interesting system you’ve got there, homie! Why not submit it to the August 2013 Best Forex Trading System contest? There’s still time to join!

Update :
usd / jpy SL hit, -100 pip loss

New order
usd / jpy MAs crossed and gave a sell signal (Entered @ 96.87, SL = 97.87, TP = none)

Update :
usd / jpy SL hit, -100 pip loss

[B]Profit Pip count : -200[/B]

Not a great start. But I am going to hang on to this and see what happens.

New trades :
usd jpy (Third time in a row. Hopefully this will go my way)

• buy @98.37, SL @97.37

i would be careful about buying usd/jpy in that area. you’d be buying right into a falling trend line. in any case, i wish you luck!

Yes, you are correct. I might loose this trade too. Thanks for pointing that out. Much appreciated.

New trades :
eur usd : sell @ 1.3199
usd chf : buy @ 0.9329

Little bit late on the trades, but should be ok I think.

Open trades :
usd jpy - buy @98.37, SL @97.37 (Still holding)

Profit Pip count : -200

Update :
usdjpy is over 100 pips. Current price 99.53. Moved SL to 98.50

Other 2 trades are doing well.

Open trades :
usd jpy - buy @98.37, SL moved to @98.50

Thanks for sharing your approach. You are trading daily chart, do you have to do that or could you trade shorter time frames?
On the basis of a little checking, I think this system can work on much shorter time frames.
I really appreciate your attitude of exploration and sharing, good work.

Thanks moneyferret. I think you might be able to use this in shorter time frames, but I didn’t test this. I am working 9 - 5, so it’s very difficult to go into shorter TFs. I am interested this method with 4hr TF, but would like someone to try it and update the thread.

Update

New order:
aud usd buy @0.9167

Open trades :
usd jpy - buy @98.37, SL moved to @98.50

Update :

Open trades :
aud usd buy @0.9167

Closed
usd jpy - buy @98.37, (Closed in profit, hit TP @100. I should have increased TP, but it was a win:) ) - profit : 163 pips

Total profit (pips): -37

Update
usdchf is over 100 pips. Move SL to 0.9335

Open trades :
usd chf : buy @ 0.9329 , SL moved to to 0.9335
aud usd buy @0.9167

Total profit (pips): -37

Anyone has any ideas to improve this method?

[B]May be useful[/B] - Updated in the initial post

1. I also use PSAR with the default settings. This gives me an early signal when MAs are going to cross.
  2. Drawing the SR lines will also helps when entering / closing a trade (thanks Jabroni for pointing this out). If I did do this, I think I would have minimized the initial 200 pip loss. Well I put that as a learning opportunity.

Donsis, In looking at charts with the PSAR added, I dont see where it gives you an early signal of where the MA’s will cross.
Could you explain a little more about that, please. Thank you.

Please see the attached eur usd chart. I have marked the PSAR signals with red / yellow lines. You could see that the PSAR gave the signals about 4 days before the MA cross. Again I don’t trade based on PSAR signals. My main method is MA cross, but with this I have an idea of a POTENTIAL trade. And this doesn’t happen all the time. Sometimes PSAR and MAs cross at the same time. Other times PSAR shows signal change, but the MAs don’t cross (See the line marked in Yellow). So I don’t think you could enter trade based only on PSAR, but a good indicator that might show a change in direction.

Update
usdchf stopped out @ 0.9335 - small profit of 6 pips

Open trades :
aud usd buy @0.9167

Total profit (pips): -31

Update
new trade
usd cad buy @ 1.0368

Open trades :

aud usd might go the other way. It is getting sloser to my SR line (see the attached). Just to let you know after my previous losses, I am looking at SR levels too. So I a moving my SL. 10 pips secured

aud usd buy @0.9167, moved sl to 0.9177

Total profit (pips): -31