Singapore’s KuCoin Hacked for $150 Million

The Singaporean cryptocurrency exchange got hacked on the 26th September and the hackers managed with withdraw Bitcoin and other cryptos from hot wallets to another wallet. The total sum that was loss was 150 million USD.

According to a statement issued by the Chief Executive of KuCoin, Johnny Lyu, the hackers obtained the private keys of the exchange’s hot wallets. The moment the exchanged noticed the withdrawal they transferred the rest of the funds to other hot wallets.

The theft is being investigated by law enforcement. KuCoin also issued the following statement:

rest assured, if any user fund is affected by this incident, it will be covered completely by KuCoin and our insurance fund ,”

Well, at least they were insured. Still, it’s not a good look that hackers managed to rob them, not to mention how huge the stolen sum is.

Inside job perhaps? That’s a staggering amount of money to lose.

1 Like

I was wondering about that. I hope there will be a thorough investigation.

Whoah! That’s some amount, even for a giant institute.

I know, right? The sum is staggering. These things shouldn’t be allowed to happen.

Who the hackers are will never be known.

Sometimes the authorities do manage to find such hackers, everything is possible.

KuCoin, the Singapore based crypto exchange that was hacked on September 26th for over 280 million USD, mainly in bitcoins and Ethereum, has resumed its deposit and withdrawal services on all tokens.

Still, because of some legal proceedings, some tokens will temporarily have daily withdraw limits. Those limits will be immediately lifted after the judicial proceedings end, the exchange said in a statement. As a compensation all tokens with daily limits will have zero trading fees, the exchange also said.