Spread betting & CFD - which one is it!?

Hi,
I have a question to which i can’t seem to find a straight forward answer too…

If i open up TradingView and search for Forex Currencies > Select a currency pair, for example GBP/JPY and take a long position…is this a spread betting or a CFD? (FYI - I’m from the UK)

Apologies for the newbie question, but i can’t seem to find an answer to this question anywhere.

I look forward from hearing back from everyone

A spread bet account you don’t pay commissions but the spread is bigger. Like eg. 1.5 pips - 3.0 pips on eur/usd but on ecn account the spread is like 0.1 - 0.5 pips usually +commission. they are 2 different account types.

Please read this…

How CFD Trading Works. Contract for difference (CFD) is a financial arrangement in which trades take place without ownership of the asset changing hands. Essentially, the buyer and seller participate in a transaction based only on the price movement of the share, not on the stock itself.

I think you should understand what Forex or currency trading is. What you just described is the simple way of Forex or currency trading. Spreading is just another form of Forex or Stock trading, Whereby the outcome is determined by other factors. Just study only Forex for now.

Not suggesting any particular broker, but a reasonable explanation here:

https://www.etxcapital.com/en-gb/education/learn-spread-betting/spread-betting-vs-cfds

With questions like that I assume you should better go to our pipsology trading, there is lot of such information which described in much more usual way basically for everyone to understand that. I do hope it will solve such basic problems.

I always thought that trading gold is a much better idea. It never goes down as hard as paper money. And a lot of experts say that buying a gold is a best way to save and raise your money. I bought a bunch of gold bars in order to save my money and it got even more expensive. Now I can sell it and then I will have more money than I had at the start. When I started trading gold, I was a rookie. One of my friends told me about iragoldadvisor.com There was a lot of useful information about gold trading and stuff like that. I have no regrets for starting trading a gold.

This thread is concerned with the differences between CFD’s and spreadbetting. Its not intended as free advertising space for your gold bar BS.

One of my personal rules is never deal with a company that promotes itself like this.

What company? I don’t understand.

Well since I didn’t name a company it must be the one that you named.

You mentioned gold, so I thought you were talking to me. Am I wrong? :slight_smile:

What is it about this which is so difficult for you?