$* Statistical London Breakout Strategy *$

Of course, the very same you are on right now :slight_smile:

Forex Calendar: Economic Calendar for FX Trading News & Event Risk

Alternatively:
Forex Calendar @ Forex Factory

Thanks for your reply

London was all-good.

Now for NYā€¦the ref candle happened to close at the highest point the Euro has been in a very long time, so Iā€™ll be curious to see where price goes from here.

Was your TP hit for London? Which price did you get, mine is still open and quasi ā€œhedgedā€ with the NY sellā€¦

The price opened at 1.34335 and closed at 1.34636 about 2 hours before the NY started.

Whoops, my bad, had it set to 40 Pips TPā€¦

Well, since Ny just lost itā€™s sell, and opened the buy, maybe your london will continue to 40 pips?

This week the London session netted 66 pips!

NY so far for the week at net 84 pips!
I will edit this post with NY results for the week when the NY buy is decided.

Hi Guys,

I am looking at this very thing as we speak, I will start with EU London Open this week=end and follow it with EU NYO after. Itā€™ll take a while though, but Iā€™ll take it as my contribution to this thread.

John

@pipcompounder
Looks like the freshly introduced feature of closing open trades alongside pendings at 20GMT will be tested today :slight_smile:

Indeed, it has closed the NY at about -9 pip loss.
so, NY ended the week netting 75 pips, not badā€¦this is of course calculated using 30 pip TP, which I decided to actually start using Wednesdayā€¦having a 40 pip TP, would have been a different story, with not much above BE.

Dear All,

Iā€™ve been watching this thread for few weeks and Iā€™m deeply impressed of your work.
Thank you Pipcompounder, Crosscross1983, Jonathan and others for sharing.
I would like to contribute to this thread as I work as a programmer and try to enhance
this strategy with additional filters that could improve the profitability.

However, when I test the system with latest Jonathanā€™s EA (Alpha 5) I donā€™t
see profits for 2012 and Iā€™m curious what are your backtesting results for last year.

London strategy gives profits in the second part of year (2 lots)

I attach the results of my backtesting.
Could you please write your settings which make the strategy more profitable
and stable?

1. EUR/USD | TF: 1H | NY breakout | year: 2012

COM_GMT_1=ā€” Time(zone) Settings
COM_GMT_2=(GMT - HH:MM)
Reference_Candle_Time=13:15
Reference_Candle_Back = 1
Close_Pending_Time=23:00
Also_Close_Open=1
Use_Automatic_GMT=1
Manual_GMT_Offset=2
COM_TRADES_1=ā€” Trade Settings
COM_TRADES_2=SL;DEV_BUY;DEV_SELL|TP;TP_VAL|BE;BE_TRIG;BE_DEV|TS;TS_TRIG;TS_STEP|MM;MM_VAL
Trade_Info=0;30;10|1;400|0;0;0|0;0;0|2;0.02
Max_SL=300
Close_Pending_After_TP=1
Friday_Close_Hour=20
COM_MM=ā€” Money Management Settings
MM_Mode_2_Value=100
MM_Mode_2_Value,3=0
COM_EXE=ā€” Trade Execution Settings
IsECN=0
Max_Slippage=30
Max_Retries=5
COM_EA=ā€” EA Settings
Magic_Number=516189651
EA_Name=PC_Breakout_Alpha_5

2. EUR/USD | TF: 15M | NY breakout | year: 2012

Reference_Candle_Time=13:15
Also_Close_Open=1
Use_Automatic_GMT=1
Manual_GMT_Offset=2
COM_TRADES_2=SL;DEV_BUY;DEV_SELL|TP;TP_VAL|BE;BE_TRIG;BE_DEV|TS;TS_TRIG;TS_STEP|MM;MM_VAL
Max_SL=300
Close_Pending_After_TP=1
Friday_Close_Hour=20
MM_Mode_2_Value=100
MM_Mode_2_Value,3=0
IsECN=0
Max_Slippage=30
Max_Retries=5
COM_EA=ā€” EA Settings
Magic_Number=516189651

3. EUR/USD | TF: 1H | London Breakout | year: 2012

Reference_Candle_Time=09:00
Also_Close_Open=1
Use_Automatic_GMT=1
Manual_GMT_Offset=2
Max_SL=300
Close_Pending_After_TP=1
Friday_Close_Hour=20
MM_Mode_2_Value=100
MM_Mode_2_Value,3=0
IsECN=0
Max_Slippage=30
Max_Retries=5
COM_EA=ā€” EA Settings
Magic_Number=516189651

Best regards,
Mark

Hi Mark and welcome,

Iā€™m pretty new to forex (about 7 months ā€˜experienceā€™), but at it almost night and day :slight_smile:

Only yesterday Iā€™ve started to make some back tests, in MT4, I know, everybody keeps saying it sucksā€¦ So far, I havenā€™t managed to see this EA making profits, but considering my level of expertise, this doesnā€™t mean much.

Anyway, I was wondering what the text ā€˜Stoplevel: 10ā€™ means, on both the London and NY breakout charts?

Good luck with your trading.

Ronald

Hi Mark and Ronald
As I understand it, the backtesting in MT4 is not accurate. After Jonathan completes the functionality, he will create it in MT5 which will not only give an accurate backtest but also, will allow us to optimize the back test to find the best TP amount based on that backtest.

Though I currently trade in MT4, I will be creating an MT5 demo account which will allow me to do the backtesting as I am sure many will be doing.

Welcome to the thread.

MT5 wonā€™t be the holy testing grail eitherā€¦ The absolute best would be NinjaTrader which I could do for sure although a software is of course only as good as the data it uses. So if ayone happens to have accurate tick-data for 2012 we can never fully rely on ANY backtest. The thing about that kind of data is that it tends to be pretty expensive if you want the real dealā€¦

Good Point Jonathan. I cannot help with the ninja trader. My personal plans are to forward test for 90 days or so regardless of backtesting and only then, will put money on the line. Thats just me. Call it ā€œforward thinkingā€.

Hi Riley,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, I donā€™t know if backtesting in MT4 is not accurate. I know it from you and
Jonathan. In my examples, accurance after the backtesting was 90%.
What is wrong with backtesting in MT4?

But the most important for me is if my settings for
Jonathanā€™s EA differs from yours or from pipcompounder settings?
Did your backtesting give you more optimistic results?

Thank you,
Mark

PS. For january 2013 the results are great.

Hi Guys,

As promised a spreadsheet which attempts to provide statistical evidence of profits based on data downloaded from my MT4 which is GMT+2 is attached.
I use open office but have converted it to excel but the formulas may not convert correctly, so I have done a pdf of typical entries for perusal.

If anybody has a different server time to mine, they will probably have different results as their candles will be different. If they will post a csv file of the H1 history, I will gladly run the stats based on this and post results.

The problem I think you are all aware, is that of backtesting is not totally accurate as we do not know in what order TPā€™s and SLā€™s were hit.

All the same the results are here.

John

Edit, Could not upload spreadsheet, open office file not recognised and exel did not upload.

EU LO Stats.pdf (53.7 KB)

Hi Jonathan,

iā€™m back testing in MT4 and find it rather easy to do (this doesnā€™t say anything about the reliability of the tests, of course). Downloaded MT5 in order to keep up with technology, but it turns out that (mq5) eaā€™s donā€™t even show up in the navigator window. Also, the editor doesnā€™t work in MT5 (error: ā€˜2013.01.28 14:41:56 Error MetaEditor not foundā€™). MT5 installed itself in ā€˜Program Foldersā€™ and the exe files have ā€˜64ā€™ in the name. Iā€™m running Windows 7, 64 bit and most programs get installed in ā€˜Program Files (x86)ā€™, so maybe this has something to do with it.

Are MT5 back test really much better than MT4ā€™s, or is not worth the trouble trying to get MT5 up and running?

regards,

Ronald

Backtesting in MT4 has flaws for sure. Using same criteria, backtesting last summer, June, July and August, has different results doing it now, with same settings, than doing it in early September. This strategy, if just using fixed TP and SL, allows itself to be visually backtested, and while there were some flat months, like last October, this strategy is generally profitable. If you read through the thread, once I start just using fixed TP, with no trailing SL, and no BE, youā€™ll see my summary of daily trades, and you can tell itā€™s profitable by the end of each week, even last week ended with a little profit.
At the end of next week, I will have a summary of Januaryā€™s net pips for each session.

~Ltrader, thanks for the stats, we will look at those and see what ideas we can come up with.

Version ā€œAlpha 5ā€ seems to be working well, so far.

NY has had both losses, this morning, and the London buy came within less than 1 pip of TPā€¦the london reference candle has the lowest low, and price has come back up, so todayā€™s london session is a great illustration of how naturally this strategy fits in with support\resistance. NYā€™s losses totaled about -24 pips, BTW.

Hello Pipcompounder,

What TF should be active when I work with NY breakout? 1H or 15M
When I backtest NY breakout (13:15) with TF=1H i get excellent results for Jan 2013
TF=15M is not profitable during the backtest.

Mark