Steroid Scalping

I also want to point out, that for those trying this strategy, PLEASE MAKE SURE you have a backup computer and/or internet connection.

This literally JUST happened to me:

I just entered a short trade, shooting for 2-3 pips. Price was hovering at my entry price. Suddenly, my desktop internet connection dropped! I have my backup laptop with my trading platform (Oanda) running at all times right next to me, so I looked over to it and saw that price had jumped in my favor by 6 pips in the span of about 1.5secs! I was able to close the position immediately from my laptop, while my desktop was still reconnecting.

With the different strategies that Iā€™ve used before, this wasnā€™t as big of a concern as I was using limit orders with TP and SLā€™s already set when I placed the order. But now with no TP and a HUGE SL (50pips) and using market orders, itā€™s a little scary when the price chart suddenly stops moving :wink:

:smiley:

Glad to hear that! :slight_smile:

The only part Iā€™m having a little issue with is when you scale inā€¦ So far its worked out for me each time, with a max of 3 scales-inā€™s (2 add-ons).

Iā€™ve been adding on by a factor of 2x the last position size. Itā€™s a little unnerving as if it continues to go against me, it could turn into a HUGE loss. TBH, at the 2nd add-on, Iā€™m already a little nervous hahaā€¦

Thanks!

Yeah the averaging can get quite scary at times.
But only if youā€™re overleveraged for it.
If youve taken a larger position. Its better just to take a loss.

But if you already planned the trade to average in, it shouldnt be that bad, because your position should be adjusted so that each trade with 6-10 pips in between will only be a 1-2% of your account should you have to exit all the positions at -30pips.

What Im saying is that all three together at -30pips should only be about 1-2% of your account. (or whatever risk profile youve decided on)
SO that should you have to take the hit. It wont hurt that much.

But it also depends on the action and what you think its doing.
Sometimes if Ive taken a position, and then the price spikes, Iā€™ll wait till the optimum time, and go maybe 3-4X my original position, to take advantage of the spike, so that when I make the quick 2-3 pips on that spike, I can clear out the other position as well.

The worst markets to average into are trickling ones. That are slowly just ticking in one direction. Cuz who knows when theyll stop.

But another tipā€¦
Averaging works well for the earlier asian session, and sharp moves, but the closer you get to the London Open the safer it is to sometimes go WITH the breakouts for 4-5pips instead. Cuz theres usually volume behind them.
Though this is all dependent on price action as well.
Youā€™ll get a hang of it.

All I know isā€¦I used to average quite a bit, but not so much anymore, which gives me an indication that Ive improved my entries alot over these last 3 years.

Alsoā€¦if I do find myself in a trade that needs to be averaged. I know Ive become more patient. Instead of getting in every 3-4 pips against me. Iā€™ll wait until the next major level on the 5minute chart instead, to be safer.
Which sometimes could be 12-18pips away. So I give it plenty of room to breathe, and most likely I wont have to average it. It will return to my entry and Ill take 1-2 pips.

Its all very discretionary really.

BUT THE KEY ISā€¦
Dont ever let a bad average wipe out your gains for the week.
And if you do. Stop trading for the week!! Clear your head.
Dont go back into the market with the hope of making it back quickly.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Pip syphon,
Say on a $ 1000 account, what position size would you recommend?.

I believe a few pages back, he said 5000 units.

Makes senseā€¦ So basically, from what youā€™ve stated before, if price hits a S/R level that you are very confident on, then you will go max units.

If you think it may not hold and there is a stronger S/R beyond, then you may only go 50% of the max unit size (just as an example), so if it indeed does not hold, then you can add on if it goes against you to the stronger S/R, thus reaching your max units? If there are 2 strong(er) S/R, then the original position size is 33%? Something along those lines? :smiley:

But it also depends on the action and what you think its doing.
Sometimes if Ive taken a position, and then the price spikes, Iā€™ll wait till the optimum time, and go maybe 3-4X my original position, to take advantage of the spike, so that when I make the quick 2-3 pips on that spike, I can clear out the other position as well.

By spike, do you mean that price spikes AGAINST you?

Alsoā€¦if I do find myself in a trade that needs to be averaged. I know Ive become more patient. Instead of getting in every 3-4 pips against me. Iā€™ll wait until the next major level on the 5minute chart instead, to be safer.
Which sometimes could be 12-18pips away. So I give it plenty of room to breathe, and most likely I wont have to average it. It will return to my entry and Ill take 1-2 pips.

Great tipā€¦ Iā€™ll have to look into that. Just for clarification, I recall from your previous posts that you averaged into a trade only at the next S/R level? What did you mean above by ā€œInstead of getting in every 3-4 pips against meā€?

Thanks!

Thanks, Cspeed, today has been a pretty rocky day,Made 0.5%. I just cant seem to find direction or maybe i am trading in new york time. I tend to scale in 10 to 15 positions and keep increasing lots sizes.

No problemā€¦ I made 1.9% today so farā€¦ stopped trading about 1.5hrs ago (9:30am PST). Price is just ranging < 8-10pipsā€¦ not worth the risk.

Pip Syphon, I have traded like this when you first started posting, done quite well a few days or so, than I blew the account (demo). I stopped trading like this because it became really stressful. Besides that you need to be at ease, fresh, fully concerntrated, long screen time and uninterputed which I could not do due to daily commitments. and about a week ago I followed up your thread and started again. I can the PA, s/r better than when I first started this method. I think I am going to practice this way for a few days or weeks and see whats the outcome.

p.s Could you please keep posting bigger screenshots as I can see exactly how you use the fibobolinger

Agreedā€¦ :slight_smile:

Please keep posting.

First of all, Iā€™m just getting started with my Oanda demo account (opened after I found this thread) and have very limited experience using Tymenā€™s candlestick system on an IBFX demo, thatā€™s pretty much all my hands-on experience with Forex (of course, School of Pipsology plus a gazillion forum posts read)

Last Thursday I started trading -or at least trying to trade- the Asian session using this approach. I managed to spot 2 or 3 confluences, and as any other noob, earned a few pips, got really excited, so much so that I forgot it was really close to 2 AM my time London open Opened a long position, just to see the session earnings wiped out before I could exitā€¦ :frowning:
Beginnersā€™ mistake, but I still feel Iā€™m really comfortable with this style, just need to practice and practice and practice to improve my entries

Pip-Siphon, I know probably sometimes it feels like a waste of time, but your posts here have helped me a lot, please keep posting

Great post again Pip-siphon.

So my question is how do you understand when there is volume behind the move? Do you use tick volume or market depth or maybe something else?

Tonights tradingā€¦
Came to the party a little late. :slight_smile:
Cuz I slept during the asian session so I could be awake for the CPI y/y report on the GBP. Which comes out at 1:30am my time.

So I woke up at 11:00pm and started trading the london session.
Heres my trades for the night. Im done until the news release now.

You can see the second short on the chart, I went full position, but it went against me by 4.9pips. So I just pulled the plug. :rolleyes:

In hindsight, I shouldnt have, but it was cutting brand ne high for the session, and you never know if its gonna breakout strong. Specially during London.
And at that time it sure looked like it was gonna. There were even some large orders on the level 2 suggesting it would. So with a larger position, I didnt want to risk trying to average into a strong breakout.
So I just got out.
Needless to say the large orders dissappeared, and price went my wayā€¦lol
So when it tested that level again, I watched price action first , and then reentered when it started droppingā€¦with a smaller position this time. That one worked out. :slight_smile:

[B]Weeks Results[/B]
Monday - 1.32%

Wellā€¦you never truly know the volume behind a move. Its mostly just seen by watching tick speed.
But yesā€¦I use market depth from 2 different brokers to guage the volume.

Hey Pip Siphon!
Just wanted to report in with my first 7 days of results trading your strategy. Itā€™s working REALLY well for me. Thank you again for sharing!

Absolute Gain 12.62%
Absolute Gain/Day 1.80%
Days Trading 7

Trades Won 103 Long Trades 63 Best Trade (Pips) 10.00
Trades Lost 45 Short Trades 91 Worst Trade (Pips) -27.40
Trades Break Even 6
Total Trades 154 Longs Won 38 Average Win (Pips) 2.53
W/L Ratio 66.88% Shorts Won 65 Average Loss (Pips) -4.74

Total Pips 46.90

:smiley:

Great to hear Cspeed :wink:

Heres tonights trading.
I sat down at 5:55pm my time, expecting some slowish action.
And next thing I know, Im giving a nice FAT opportunity a minute later.

Price tanked fast! so I let it go through a couple of Fib levels, and hit the second bollinger. Where there was confluence of a trendline, a bollinger, and a ā€œbaselineā€ level.
So I went full position, expecting at least s 7 pip reversal to the next fib level. But Price strongly went my way, and I held on for about 14pips.

Then as it reached the point it came from again (35 pips!), I shorted heavy as well.
Made around another 12 pips.

Gotta love asian volatility! So much pep, with no follow through 90% of the time.

Im done for the night.
Two big trades, around 2.1% on the account.
Im gonna get some much needed sleep. :slight_smile:
Gotta get up early tomorrow, for the US Unemployment numbers.

[B]Weeks Results[/B]

Monday - 1.12%
Tuesday - Didnt Trade
Wednesday - 2.1%

Great trades Pip-siphon. You pick tops and bottoms very well. But I have 2 questions - what is this scale ot the right of your oanda chart, and what is ā€œBaselineā€ level. I google it but couldnā€™t find anything.

Tonights trades,

I mixed it up a bit and traded naked again. :smiley:
Only trendlines and levels.

Its fun to see the market in a different way.
I end up placing totally different trades than normal at certain times.

I seem to trade more breakouts, and got into some losing trades at wierd places.
3 losing trades overall. But still a gain of 1.64%
Had an awesome long trade off the triangle, line + level confluence. That helped me reach my goal.

[B]Weeks Results [/B]

Monday - 1.12%
Tuesday - Didnt Trade
Wednesday - 2.1%
Thursday - 1.64%

Hello Everyone.

Iā€™m new to this whole thing and I am very intrigued with this type of trading. When I was doing all my research and learning about Forex this is the type of trading that I thought would be ideal. I am still trying to get an grasp on how everything works. I have read this thread from front to back about 5 times now. Iā€™m just curious if people are still using this and what kind of results people are having. Any tips on what I need to do to be successful at this would be great. Iā€™m here to learn so anything anyone can provide i would greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance for your help.

Yup, Iā€™m using this method every day! Thanks Pip Siphon! :slight_smile:

I have not had a losing day since I started on Jan 12,2010. Iā€™ve been averaging 2%/day.

You must be very careful picking your entries and especially your exits if it goes against you.

Hereā€™s my results from the last 2.5 weeks:

Absolute Gain 23.05%
Absolute Gain/Day 2.10%
Days Trading 11

Trades Won 140 Long Trades 82 Best Trade (Pips) 29.90
Trades Lost 59 Short Trades 123 Worst Trade (Pips) -27.40
Trades Break Even 6
Total Trades 205 Longs Won 52 Average Win (Pips) 3.23
W/L Ratio 68.29% Shorts Won 88 Average Loss (Pips) -6.00

Total Pips 98.20