Stop loss / margin call execution over the weekend (FXPRO)

It’s worth mentioning that in the FX markets at least [not sure on bitcoin] that although the retail broker servers are down over the weekend the actual underlying market is still in motion. I would assume this is the case with Bitcoin, too. So you can indeed see with some price providers where a currency is trading at during a weekend or holiday on the FX markets (even if it is indicative data)

1 Like

A less patronizing and more objective answer would be more than welcome :slight_smile:

I know the price of bitcoin has been below 12,000 because you can follow the price of bitcoin almost anywhere on the internet. FXPro as trading platform though is closed during the weekend.

I think my questions were pretty clear: Will my broker do a margin call over the weekend if the margin call price is reached?

I don’t need any input on whether trading bitcoin is good or bad, I kindly ask to know how margin calls and stop losses work over the weekend. Nothing more, nothing less! :smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Julze,

The simple answer is that FXPro will close your position at the opening market price, if your stop has been hit during the weekend. The only caveat to this is the terms that FXPro may have on Bitcoin, which unfortunately is not always the same with each and every retail broker. As a highly volatile crypto currency I would be very cautious holding over the weekend with a stoploss as short as yours when the currency can ‘typically’ move more than 20% in a single trading session.

As with most of his posts, he manages to avoid direct answers in every possible case.

Hi RISKonFX, thanks for your answer.

So, if my stop/loss was hit during the weekend, but the price of bitcoin rebounds to much higher, then my stop/loss will be executed no matter what when FxPro reopens?

Undoubtedly, yes. Sorry.

Sorry, but this simply isn’t true. At all.

Not true of Bitcoin and not true of forex either!

Hi LaughingCharlie, thanks for your answer! will they close it at the price I set up my stop/loss? Or how does this work?

@LaughingCharlie
hehe
hey mate, you love using the term "AT ALL " don’t you?
you don’t care if there is an explanation or anything, it’s your way or the highway right ?

you see there are 2 ways to take this

the way i was talking about was what you see on the charts which actually is true
IT DOES STOP
so it can’t be completely false
even if some brokers and stop and some don’t
this statement

cannot be true

Now. am i aware that THE VALUE of the instrument changes over the weekend…
of course i am
so let’s not go down that road

that then only leaves 2 options to explain what you are saying and that is…
Some broker’s do and some don’t
Now. if i recall we have had a similar conversation in the past
and i think i came to a similar conclusion
and i think you still dug your heels in and said NOT TRUE AT ALL hehe

now , let’s put that aside for a second and focus on answering this blokes question

the way i see it, is if you have said this

then regardless of any misunderstanding between me and you , it must then mean that (if we are working on your definition of it) that price would be moving and his stop loss on bitcoin, MOST LIKELY will have been hit

as is confirmed by your answer to him here

and from my definition of it ,
if his platform froze the price during non operating hours, upon open it would then re-adjust and instantly take out his stop his before he could do anything, because the spread would be adjusted accordingly anyway.

so regardless of who’s point we look at here
HE GETS TAKEN OUT… that’s the point… right ?

we can quivel of "at what point does it happen"
is it worth discussing… i think not.

so i’ll finish up by saying this

thank you for your input
at least we help the bloke come to a conclusion and YET ANOTHER post has been answered hehe
Regardless of how we got there

besides mate… it’s bloody new year… ok
let’s not have a Shyte fight on New year… ok
leave it at least until 3rd Jan until we even consider it ok hehe

be cool

@anon81929759

This was when i checked EUR/GBP earlier.

FlippinG Disgraceful,
Martin do you Experience Spreads this Big also ?
This is not ECN account but min spread usualy is 0.8 – 1.8 ish.
Maybe changing broker again lol.

Bet thats took everyone who was short last 4 days out.!

Whats considerd Big spread on a ECN account would it get this big. ?

Not happy with This even thogh i was not in a trade.

hehe, yeah that’s crap 172points… that sux

yeah i do from time to time,
and you gotta understand it’s the holiday period so… this is to be expected to a point.
in saying that…
i have been trading the last few days but have not noticed spreads like this
I’ve been trading EUR AUD… EUR USD US2000 US500
mainly US2000 though in the last few days

i generally see spreads of like 0 - 1 pips, up to around 3 pips maybe 4 (But that’s rare)
but then you have Monday Morning , which pretty much always spreads out to like 20 pips or so, i’d consider that pretty standard at the open and you give it around 30mins or so and it settles.

but hold the phone for a second
you said

but this says EUR GBP M30

Let me check my charts (Pepperstone)
i’ll check both EUR USD and EUR GBP on the M30 and Post them for your viewing pleasure :slight_smile:

Here’s your EUR USD M30 chart (i’ve tried to adjust the zoom as best as i could to closely fit your view)
… this chart looks nothing like what you have, so i think you were using EUR GBP

and here’s your EUR GBP
this looks more like yours

oh FYI, my charts…
blue is Bullish
White is Bearish

the spread on EUR USD is currently 5 Points / (0.5 pips)
on the EUR BGP is currently 23 Points (2.3 Pips)

so… if you’re broker is putting it at 172 points / 17.2 pips
yeah… i smell Bull Shyte hehe

does this help at all ?

It’s the opening price being quoted by fxpro that will dictate their action.

If that is beyond your SL, then it has gapped thru your SL, if they offer a guaranteed SL (usually at a premium and unlikely on BTC) then position closes at SL, otherwise margin call rules will apply - they offer negative bal protection if memory serves.

If the a/c bal has not reached margin call then you have the option to trade out.

If price opens at their close price or positive in your trade direction then carry on - a test of a good broker.

Maybe report back to let us know how it fared.

Edit: the opening spread is the acid test, often a bookie will spread wide enough to close at a SL - i.e. a loss for the punter and a gain for the bookie.

3 Likes

Yeah my mistake sorry Eur/gbp
still would have stopped most people out i imagine.
just looked again. still in the clouds.

Reckon thats a hint its gona drop.? ! ? or maybe 1 last push up now they got some orders filled.?

Stops below 8850 would be the biggies - closed most platforms at or above 8880 - pretty much mundane, no big risks over w/e or hols, still looks positive, maybe 8900 on Wed next?

Fxpro Quotes:

and Truefx Quotes:

No where near what this spread is.

Santa did not bring me an ECN account So looks like i gota get one, Thinking Pepper or tickmll
i have a demo IG account so maybe try there ECN but no trades for me untill after 8th jan
daughter starts nursery so can trade study more.

wonder if admiral ecn account was like this.

here’s reuters aswell:

OK…
I suppose let me put my 2 cents in worth here

and just so i don’t cop any flack from any other members, let me be clear on my prediction here

1. This is just a general prediction (not based on any depth of study)

2. i don’t like to predict things, i’m a believer in letting the market do what it wants to do and i roll with it.

But. IF I HAD TO MADE PREDICTION… BUY OR SELL on EUR GBP
this is what i’d do…

Firstly, so as to not initially influence my decision , i would not initially look at an Economic calender.
I like to made a decision and therefore ensure that my Jedi Trading skills are still up to scratch :stuck_out_tongue:

i would therefore first look at ao the Monthly

this is how my chart works
Blue Jap Candles are Bullish
White Jap Candles are Bearish
the Green overlayed candles are Heiken Ashi (HA Candles)
Green HA’s are Bulls
Yellow HA’s are Bears

as far as HA’s are concerned, MY METHOD (That i have proven that works for me over a few years is this…
FYI, you know how i sometimes say I TRUST MY INDIES to a point
well this is one of those times when i trust my indies
I trust my HA about 80% of the time and IT PROVES ITSELF TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

anyway…
i like to see AT LEAST 2 HA candles of a decent height before i decide it’s going in a direction
1 HA doesn’t cut it
2 HA’s … umm yeahh ok… maybe
3 HA"s … Ok, we are changing direction
but they have to be 3 OF DECENT SIZE, not piddly little things.

so looking at this Monthly and considering the Red Trend line
and slapping on a Fib
we can see this

WE KNOW THIS FOR A FACT

• as always , price can only do 3 things
    It Can Go Up
    It Can Go down
    or… it can Range (go Sideways)

• if it’s gonna take a dive down IT MUST DROP BELOW the Red trend line (which we can argue that it has. BUT, poking it’s head down a little is not always convincing. soo let’s look further)

• it must then Drop below the 61.8 Fib Level

• and then to prove it’s not still in a range it has to break below the 50% Fib Level
    if that occurred, I would SELL Just below the 50% Fib and My target would be the 38.2% Fib Level as a min and then i would trail the stop to the 23.6% in extension. i would TAke profit at 23.6% regardless of what happened after that.

at around 0.7440 i would be expecting a pull back back up to at least the 50.0% Fib and then i would re assess it from there

• it must also go below that MA on the Bollinger band (which also lines up with the 61.8% Fib level.
    and Must AS A MINIMUM get to that Lower 2 Standard Deviation (Purple Line) on the bollinger band.

IF THAT DOESN’T HAPPEN, IT’S NOT GOING DOWN .

Now if it doesn’t do those things, it only has two options. Keep ranging or go up.
it’s already above the 61.8% Fib
and it then has to break those tops at 0.9297
if that happened, my target would be 0.9728 Just before the 100.0% Fib

Now lets look at what the HA’s have to say, let’s zoom in a bit.

i look at it like this
I have 3 Nice long Green HA’s
then i have 1 Long yellow HA (which doesn’t mean anything unless it’s followed by 2 More lower ones) WHICH IT IS NOT

I see this as RANGING
Now some people would see the range as follows…

if you look at it properly, the range is this…
and price is in the middle of the Range at the moment , which is always a safe place for it to be.

if i was planning a buy or a sell, i would plan it like this

the black line is the Mid of the range - I would not do anything anywhere near this point

for price to go down, it has to break the bottom of the (Lavender box) bottom of the range
and for price to go up it has to break out of the top

I would consider a BUY at the Green Line
and i would consider a SELL at the Blue Line

BECAUSE… IF I’M WRONG, I KNOW THAT IT WILL RETRACE AT SOME POINT BACK TO HERE SO I CAN AT LEAST BREAK EVEN, but i also know that if price went from it’s current price as high as the blue line, it’s very likely i will be able to get into profit enough to put in a Move to Break even Stop loss

and conversely if it went to the green it’s likely it would pull up enough so i’d be able to put a Move to break even on.

My stops intiially would be placed 10 pips outside the range (Purple Box) in the appropriate direction relative to my trade direction…

so. CONCLUSION at this point.
Long Term… it’s ranging
and those HA’S tell me it’s going to go UP first

but let’s go down in timeframes as well
Lets look at the Weekly

Here… i see that my initial theory is confirmed… IT’S RANGING

also. if we look at the bollinger’s
Price has gone from being up high to the 2nd Standard Deviation to dropping to the Mid line (MA)
and drop below it
this would suggest a bearish move
but that range would need to be broken on the lower side in order for this to be a valid point.

and THE GREEN HA’s in this chart indicate that ITS’ STILL GOING UP
We have seen 2 Yellow HA’s and then a Range
if i was going to be convinced that it’s going down, i would need to see 2 - 3 More convincing Yellow HA candles and my target would be 0.8376 if it was going down.

but i like to consider the high time frames
but i spend more time on the H4 and basically trade off the H4 but use other time frames as confluence

so… THUS FAR, the charts and indies are telling me GO LONG

let’s look lower

the M30 is showing me that it’s still ABOVE THE MID LINE on the bollinger
so… still going up
but it’s curently in a range as well

the H4 is showing me a Range
and a SQUEEZE on the bollinger which means THERE WILL BE A BREAKOUT SOON to one side

My Money is… it’s on the High side hehe

and i’d plan it like this

based on the H4…

the yellow mid line is obviously the PRICE (The Entry)

MY THOUGHTS WOULD BE… I WOULD OPEN A BUY TRADE.

The top blue (Cyan Line) is the highest point i woud aim for
the bottom blue line is the lowest point i would aim for

but realistically i would place my TAKE PROFIT at the green line
which would Yield a 57 pip profit

and i would put my stop loss at the red line IN CASE I WAS WRONG
which would yield a Loos of 49 pips

IF IT WENT AGAINST ME, I WOULD RE OPEN A BUY AFTER MY STOP GOT TAKEN OUT.
and re plan the trade
but i would also open another buy that would take profit a few pips above the Entry of the first trade.
this covers the loss initially

but would i enter at this point… NO
i’m just saying , if we are talking about jumping in now

NOw. i would enter here…

the top black line is where i would consider a SELL
so… we could sell now
but then you might say…

Hang on martin, you said you were buying

YES… THAT’S RIGHT

so… to be clear
I PERSONALLY , Given that i have already concluded that price is going up (in my opinion)
i would not go against the trend

i believe and have proven , that in forex if YOU ARE NOT WAITING FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN… YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG

so… What am i waiting for … ???

I would be WAITING for price to get to the bottom Black line
i would then BUY and set my Take profit at the top Green Line
this would yield around 156 Pips profit

i would also put down short term trades, that would take profit every 30 pips on the way up.

I personally do this, so that if i’m wrong, it offsets the loss that i would suffer
and given my track record, i know that i can pull off around 15 - 17 out of 20 of these before i get one wrong
so… it’s sort of backup safety blanket if you will.
and if it goes in my favour… it’s just more profit, simple as that

however, if a person wanted to scalp or do short term trades,
i suppose something like this would be viable

Let me get rid of some of the lines so it’s not so messy.

if someone chose to enter at the BLACK LINE
say on Tuesday and SELL
i would advise… Take profit at the green Line

the red line merely the mid point in the range

You see, so long as price stays above the mid point in the range, its going up
and you are risking a lot if you sell at this point

so as for a short term thing… sure
and PUT YOUR STOP LOSS AT THE TOP BLUE LINE, In case you are worng

if you do this…
you should profit 30 pips (which is not bad)
and your stop loss is unfortunately at 39 pips

but hey… these things happen and the whole Risk to Reward 1:1 min ratio is not always the best rule to follow

but again…
if you were to BUY LOW you could set up your risk to reward to be much better.

finally, since i have concluded here that i would go long if i was trading this…

i would now look to my short time frames for a specific entry

i look to the M5 to avoid Noise at times on the M1
but i like to plan the fine tune entry point off the M1
KEEP IN MIND I’M TRADING OFF THE H4
but the M1 is a fine entry point, and nothing more.

if i look on the M5 i can se it’s ranging
and i would want to enter a BUY at the bottom of the range

i like to use the MACD to show me when it’s changing direction

so as it stands now
if someone was to sell now… i would say WAIT
if someone was to buy, based purely on the M1 and M5 i would say yes

but, then again, i would wait until it got to that point on the H4 before i considered a buy

so what do i believe

I BELIEVE IT’S GOING UP
but, i would wait for the right entry

now. if i didn’t get it and it shot up, i would be paitence
and I WOULD WAIT for the pull back and then enter the Buy

that’s what i would do
i would also check economic calenders to confirm my theories

of course i would plan my trade and lot size and assess risk
but, i’ll leave that up to you to plan yours

I’m just discussing direction and risk
but not risk as it pertains to lots or money.

what i have described here is WHAT I PERSONALLY REFER TO AS "BUILDING A CASE"
aka… Proving to myself Logically that what i believe to be correct is correct.

Now… it doesn’t matter if i’m right or wrong this is what i’ve learned over the last 7 years.

all that matters is WHICHEVER I AM… What will i do as a result

so… if i’m right… I learn from conclusions and how to stick to that train of thought
Now Logically , if i do that … I WILL ALWAYS BE CORRECT

Unless… I’M WRONG
now… If i’m wrong
I then learn from my mistake and understand where my logic was flawed and tweak it until it proves to be correct
in which case, I HAVE TO BE CORRECT hehe… don’t i

Now doing this, does not by any means ever get you to a point where you are never wrong

but, it does bloody ensure to a very very large degree that you are correct most of the time and you are very aware of what you are doing wrong and you can pinpoint it

and that’s what i like about it
you can pinpoint things and you can gain control over what you are doing and your mistakes

this is , to a very large degree how i trade and how i stay profitable.

another thing is this

I don’t like jumping in on instruments that i’m not familiar with ,
if me and you now decided we were going to trade EUR GBP together, i would want to test it on demo with my method of trading for like 5 - 6 months to get a feel of how it behaves

i would also use other charts on both the Weekly, Monthly, M30 H4 and so on
to give confluence

i might (off the top of my head) use confluence pairs such as

EUR AUD
EUR USD
EUR CHF

i would then test the valiidity of the relationships between these confluence pairs and the EUR GBP over months

because of this extensive testing period
this is why i trust (to a degree) my indies that i use and my confluence pairs that i use
and i know that if they don’t line up, and i’m wrong… it’s going to be very rare, but not impossible

these are my thoughts on the direction of EUR GBP and how i came to the conclusions.

I hope this helps you out and gives you ideas.
if you make a packet… hehe… don’t forget who told you about it… LOL

Happy new year mate

@anon81929759

Nice "little " piece of analysis there Martin, Happy new year to you too
I know what your saying about Predicting not really the best word is it.
as for the chart it definitely looks like bullish pulses up and bearish retraces,

I wish we just kick these Eu prats to the kerb and let Britannia Ride the waves and set it’s own course.

1 council to rule everyone sounds a little like “history repeating” to me just doesn’t sit right

it’s more than i could have been arsed to do, Kids tiring me out.may need to adopt them out soon if it continues. lol just kidding. love em really.

LOL…
well , My wife is in childcare… so… yeah… if you ever need to offload them… hehe
Just kidding.

15mins to go

HAAAAAAPPPYYYYYY NEEEWWWWWW YYYEEEEEEAAAAAARRRRRR
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDEEE

i’m just sitting here watching the NYE celebrations, Jimmy Barnes is singing working class man
and every aussie is lke

\m/ \m/ working hard to make a living… yeaaahhh LOL

Thank you for that answer, I will let you know what the outcome is

1 Like

You were right, the opening price dictated the action, and since the opening price happened to be above the SL, my position was not closed by fxpro.