Stop order vs limit order

Which would I use to automatically set a TP when an order is activated? For example I had a sell order activated and planned on closing it manually at 25 pips but was away from the screen at the time. Price bounced up and I was at least able to close at breakeven manually.

Should I use limit order or stop order to automatically set 25TP as soon as my buy order was activated?

Thank you.

1 Like

All the platforms I have used offer a very obvious button for setting a stop-loss or TP at the same time as you set an entry order. You don’t normally need to open another order box and set an opposing order as a stop-loss or TP. Surely yours offers this too?

Always set a stop-loss. Where you put it is for another discussion. Setting a TP is a matter of greater choice.

Thank you but I don’t think that answers my question. The screenshot I attached is what I normally see when I initially set an order (This is on IG broker).
What I’m wondering is which of those 2 options at the bottom do I use to automatically have TP set once price hits my order in the case I wasn’t at my screen at the time.

1 Like

It seems that TPs are only for trades that are opened manually. Click the ¨trade¨ button, and you’ll see ¨take profit¨. You may be able to use ¨limit order¨as TP, though. Try it out!

If you have doubts, call IG Support. The Call Center is more versed about the platform than anyone on babypips.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll try that out next time.

1 Like

By the way, are you trading on your phone? Or was that just for the pic?

Pic was from my phone but iPad looks exactly same. I usually trade from my iPad; I don’t own a computer.

Occasionally I’ll use my phone if I’m not near my iPad.