Stuff

Yep - its starting to get dark here now - already too dark to see the rain. Which is some consolation I suppose.

1 Like

It’s a bit frustrating when the car automatically turns the dashboard lights to night vision - at midday! :joy:

Normally we would have a lot of snow by now but we have none this year yet - this has started to become more frequent over the last 20 years as average temperatures are rising.

This thread is for stuff that doesn’t seem to belong anywhere else.

I saw this chart and decided to share it, but didn’t know where to put it. So, I’m putting it here —

Dow - 10 biggest one-day point losses

You might be surprised to note that 8 out of the 10 worst one-day point losses in Dow history occurred in February or March of this year. And all 10 occurred within the past 30 months.

Conversely the biggest points gains were likewise:

Some interesting random posts. Thanks for sharing it.

I’m happy the uniquely bad Dow performances came during the early stages of a uniquely bad global pandemic. It would be alarming to think they just popped up sporadically.

Autumn has arrived

Daylight and darkness at the moment of the Fall Equinox
Tuesday, September 22, 2020 — 1331 UTC

1 Like

Sigh. Goodbye again warm days, it was nice seeing you. I was hoping this cool weather was just a glitch but I guess it really is here to stay. :pensive:

Spring has returned to the northern hemisphere

Daylight and darkness at the moment of the Spring Equinox – Saturday, March 20, 2021

05:37 EDT in New York – 09:37 GMT in London – 18:37 JST in Tokyo

Clint I do believe you are correct. Yesterday I found myself chopping giant maiden grass. It must be spring!

Me adding additional market data licenses for concurrent backtesting

Marvel-Infinity-Stones

Spring is here but so is pollen! :mask:

1 Like

Well… I finally did it… I guess it doesn’t go to infinity.

If you were here, where would you be?

SKYSCRAPERS AND SHANTIES
The gap between rich and poor … about a kilometer.

Picture credit: Getty Images

One of the things that is very difficult to reconcile - if you were to google ‘the largest democracy in the world’ and then go visit you would encounter the Km gap.

One of the world’s fastest growing economies yet the riches go to an elite few.

Inequality has been rising sharply for the last three decades. The richest have cornered a huge part of the wealth created through crony capitalism and inheritance.

They are getting richer at a much faster pace while the poor are still struggling to earn a minimum wage and access quality education and healthcare services, which continue to suffer from chronic under-investment.

These widening gaps and rising inequalities affect women and children the most.

(quote from Oxfam)

Isn’t this the case everywhere though? Sucks to be born poor.

I’m not so sure - it’s the inequality that I’m thinking about and is especially highlighted in Clint’s photo post.

A rich person would say that I was born poor because i was born in a small stone house that had a thatch roof and no electricity - yet there were no rich high rises neighbouring so I just felt normal growing up - and as the economy grew then so did all our neighbours and the houses became bigger.

The Oxfam quote highlights a system that can be difficult to comprehend and if it happens that a person is caste into a poor bracket then it is difficult to break out regardless of the economy.

1 Like

I agree. It’s like everything is just working against you if you’re born poor. How does it get solved? How do we prevent the rich from getting richer and the poor getting poorer? Can that even be answered? :confused:

1 Like

Fall will arrive on Wednesday in North America and Europe
and early on Thursday in Japan

The Autumnal Equinox 2021

New York — 3:21 pm EDT Wednesday
London — 8:21 pm BST Wednesday
Tokyo — 4:21 am JST Thursday

Fall arrives in The Grand Teton Range, Wyoming, USA
Aspen trees in all their golden glory.

2 Likes

The longest lunar eclipse this century will happen in 2 weeks.