Stuff

Before and after: Tornado cuts devastating path through Oklahoma - PhotoBlog

Here are a couple of very short videos on defending yourself and your family inside your home, using a firearm.

3 Minute Home Defense Tactics - PDN Videos

Understanding the Need for High Capacity Magazines - PDN Videos

Edit: The videos have been disabled — sorry about that.

Want to trade the USD/VEF (that’s the U.S. dollar vs the Venezuelan bolivar)?

You can’t trade it on the forex market, because the bolivar is pegged to the dollar at the official rate of 6.3000 bolivars to the dollar, and a chart of the USD/VEF is a flat-line.

So, here’s how you make money — [B]in fact, you can’t lose![/B] — trading this pair:

Venezuelan flights booked full but flying half-empty - NBC News.com

Dario Franchitti was seriously injured in an IndyCar crash at the Houston Grand Prix, reminiscent of the horrific crash that killed Dan Wheldon in Las Vegas two years ago.

Here’s an excerpt from a USAToday.com article on the Franchitti crash —

When he came upon the three-car crash Sunday that injured four-time IndyCar Series champ Dario Franchitti and sent a section of catchfence into the crowd at the Grand Prix of Houston, Graham Rahal immediately thought of Dan Wheldon.

“To be totally honest, when I came up on it, I had a flashback to Vegas, but on a smaller scale,” Rahal told USA TODAY Sports. “When I came through there, the amount of carbon fiber and debris was mind-boggling. I was just hoping everyone was OK at that point. There were parts and pieces everywhere.”

Video

Dario Franchitti Huge Crash Houston GP Race 2 with interviews - YouTube

A rocket that lifts off, goes up half a mile, and then sits back down on the launch pad? — Too cool.

Must-see video: SpaceX Grasshopper rocket makes a half-mile hop - NBC News.com

Dario Franchitti, one of the most popular drivers in IndyCar, has announced that he will not race again, on the advice of doctors, after his near-fatal crash in the Houston Grand Prix. Scroll back to post #84 on this thread for video of that crash.

Dario Franchitti – three-time Indy 500 winner, four-time IndyCar Series champion

Sad stuff, Clint, but at least he has escaped with solid health and, as you say, some great achievements. And he made his money!

I remember going too seem him as a teenager when he was still based in the UK, in Formula Vauxhall and then British F3. Lovely guy and a real talent. Thanks for posting.

what about this story? :o

[B]Aliens could resemble jellyfish the size of a football field says government advisor - Science - News - The Independent[/B]

A huge coronal mass ejection launched toward Earth from the Sun on Tuesday will strike us at about 2000 GMT on Wednesday, January 8, according to NASA.

Stunning aurora (northern lights) are likely in northern regions of Alaska, Canada, Scandinavia and Russia.

Here’s the article — Sunspot goes wild! X-class solar flare blasts in our direction - NBC News.com

Young blood rejuvenates brains and muscles of old mice | Reuters

Denim Is in Real Danger of Going Out of Fashion - NBC News

Say it ain’t so!

Sophia Bush

Maybe in Paris… everywhere else it seems to be going strong ;o

[I]Apple introduces —[/I]

The D!ck Tracy 2-way Wrist TV -  [iWatch](http://www.fastcompany.com/3035551/innovation-agents/why-you-wont-be-wearing-an-iwatch)

[I]Apple’s next BIG THING will be —[/I]

The Apple Secret Decoder - [U]iRing[/U]

The next Windows operating system — [B]Windows 10[/B] — is scheduled for release in about a year. Microsoft has just previewed the new OS, and you can read a little about it here.

If you’re curious about Microsoft’s decision to jump from Windows 8 to Windows 10, here’s what the newsletter [I]Windows Secrets[/I] says about it:

“Depending on how you look at it, either Windows 10 is such a leap forward that there just couldn’t be a Version 9, or Microsoft is making a not-so-subtle attempt to distance itself from Windows 8.”

No Big Bang?

Everything we know about the Big Bang could be wrong

Say it ain’t so!

Yes, this is something of a dilemma for science.

Big bang - but what before, a void?, a nothingness is unscientific, how can a bang cause something to explode into a nothingness, a void if the void does not exist.

Therefore the void, the ‘space’ into which big bang can expand must already exist. If it doesn’t already exist then the big bang cannot expand into non existence. If the space already exists then when did it come into existence.

If it ‘has always been around’, in other words has always been in existence, well that is unscientific, everything has a beginning, the notion of ‘always’ or ‘eternal’ has no basis in science.

So if science is saying ‘has always been there’ then is it suggesting that either there is no start point for the void or space into which the universe began, or is it suggesting that this space or void could have been made from nothing, from non existence.

Hmm… to make from nothing, do they call that creating?

People always like to try and answer the unanswerable questions. Like: Why is a highway on the ground and you pay to drive on the freeway?

Yes, it’s called creation.

Reasons To Believe : Have Quantum Physicists Disproved the Big Bang?

Does this surprise you?

People who are slightly [B]tubby[/B] — Body Mass Index between 25 and 30 — are healthier than people who are “normal weight” — BMI between 18½ and 25 ???

Well, that useful information comes from [I]The New York Times,[/I] so maybe we’d better take it with a grain of salt. Oh wait, is salt still bad for us ???

Interesting. And why is there no explanation?