Sunday Breakout Strategy

Thank you Phil for introducing a new profitable and less comlex strategy.

I went through the steps and I think I understood the steps. I do use IBFX Demo so I should be having Sunday 20.00 GMT 4 HR candle. I have never seen the ATR indicator but I will try spot that today on metatrader. I just want to clarify the following time match since I am always confused with GMT and local timings.

Instruction says looks for Sunday GMT 20.00 Candle. It means I have to wait for the close of this 4 HR candle which will happen at 24.00 GMT. Is this correct ?

Since I live in a PST(USA - Pacific) time zone, my time would be 1 PM and I will wait until 4 PM to close the 4 HR candle. I can only enter into a trade, probably, at 4.02 PM PST or 00.02 (GMT) since at least 2 mts are required to place the orders.

(Assumption : I will place 2 orders one for short and one for long. Both the orders would be 10 pips from the high and lows of the 20.00 to 24.00 GMT candle. On hitting one order, I can cancel the other order)

You almost got it! Your thought process about the time is correct but your time zone calculations are off by 1 hour. Iā€™m in Arkansas and my IBFX Sunday candle closes at 7pm, so you should be two hours behind me and have it close at 5pm.

Correct, except you donā€™t automatically cancel the other order. Sometime one trade will be hit and end up reversing and getting stopped out, and then the other trade will trigger and end up being a winner. But then again, sometimes both trades will end up getting stopped out. :slight_smile:

I only cancel the second trade if the first one goes up a significant amount. People keep asking what that amount is, and I really need to figure out an exact number for it, but to tell the true I just judge it on a case-by-case basis. Hereā€™s how I explained it to Mumpips earlier this weekā€¦

Imagine the current ATR is 500 pips, which would make our profit target for the week 250. If the short trade gets triggered, moves down 225 pips, and then reverses and ends up losing would you enter the long trade??

Of course not! Because if the average range of the pair is 500 pips per week, and weā€™ve already ā€œused upā€ 225 of that on the downside then thereā€™s only around 275 ā€œfreeā€ for the long trade to go. Since our profit target is 250 thatā€™s cutting it way to close (it is an average, after all), so weā€™d skip the long trade for the week.

Hi everyone!!

Iā€™m going to be on vacation next week so I wonā€™t be around after Saturday night. If anyone has any questions that would keep you from trading on Sunday make sure you ask them in the next two days!

Iā€™ll still be trading the breakout on Sunday from my hotel room, and Iā€™ll still post the trade numbers right after midnight GMT, but after that Iā€™m shutting the computer off and letting the pending orders handle everything. Hopefully I wonā€™t lose anything from not being around to move the stoploss to break even. :slight_smile:

HI Phil,

Enjoy your holidays and all the best to your trade:)

Hi Phil,

I am practising pending orders on GFT platform.

When I place 2 limit orders on long and short entry. Long failed.
When I changed limit to stop order for long entry & limit order for short entry, both are successful. Have I done correctly on the 2nd method???:confused:

What is the diff between limit and stop order???

This attached explains how you should set pending orders depending on the price action.
If you have the Sunday candle and you are placing orders they should both be stop orders since you are expecting price to breakout from the candleā€™s highs and lows.
Stop Buy @ price.
Stop sell @ price.

Each of these orders then has a separate OCO order on it for stop loss and take profit. The stop loss is a stop, the take profit is a limit.

Iā€™m going to defer to SanMiguelā€™s expertise on that one. My broker doesnā€™t use that terminology so I never bothered to memorize which is which. :slight_smile:

I do remember reading an article about it on a Forex4noobā€™s blog once. Hereā€™s a link and an excerptā€¦

With a ļæ½Stopļæ½ order, this can be a Buy Stop or a Sell Stop, you are looking for price to travel in one direction, activate your order, and keep going in the same direction; Continuing the trend. Think of it this way, you are driving your car down a road, you come to a ļæ½Stopļæ½ sign, and then you keep driving in the same direction.

With a ļæ½Limitļæ½ order, (Buy or Sell), you are looking for price to travel in one direction, activate your order, and then reverse in the opposite direction; Reversing the trend. Again, you are driving your car down a road and you suddenly come to a dead end, the roadļæ½s ļæ½Limit,ļæ½ you are forced to turn around and go back the way you came.

Pending Orders (CCI v2.0.1.7f) | Synapseā€™s Forex Blog

Hi SanMiguel, thanks for the reply. I am rather slow on this, need more time to understand. The confused part is when everyone is talking abt limit order for this system, I need to put stop order for the pending orders.

Okā€¦my brain is not working properlyā€¦give me more time to understand this. :o

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the linkā€¦now I need to sit down and understand the logic behind it.

Will post more questions laterā€¦I guessā€¦sinkingā€¦:o

HI, I am alived again after reading the link, itā€™s simple to understand and will practise to place orders againā€¦never say die!!!:smiley:

A lot of people use the terms ā€œpending orderā€ or ā€œlimit orderā€ for any type of order thatā€™s set to trigger in the future, even though it may not technically be a limit order. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s the same logic as using the word ā€œcarā€ for any type of vehicle. Just because someone says ā€œThere was a 3 car pileup on the highwayā€ doesnā€™t really mean they were carsā€¦ It could have been a truck, van, etcā€¦ :slight_smile:

Thank you for the correction. I just looked at the weekly ATR now and it is showing as 0.0510. It means I should be considering 255 as Profit target.
I understand that Weekly ATR on Sunday will be differrent than what I see now.

Enjoy your vacationā€¦

Yep, thatā€™s right.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the explanation. It make more sense to simple person like me:)

Phil,

A very interesting strategy however the win/loss ratio is scary for me. As you know Iā€™m down to virtually nil on my account and a string of losses would end it all so Iā€™m thinking about a change to the ā€˜rulesā€™ of the system that would produce more wins, although ultimately reduce profitability - thus making it a more conservative and ā€˜safeā€™ system.

How about exiting the trade at 2R?

Do you think this would produce more (smaller) wins? Would it have produced some winning trades in the Feb-March losing streak?
Are you able to back-test this a bit? Like some others my 4hour charts only go back 3 months.

Matt

Simple solution. Just download an Alpari demo and through history center get the data you need. Voila - you can do the backtesting yourself.

Another piece of advice - donā€™t let previous losses have an adverse effect on how you trade. Itā€™s better to either stop for a while, or to do a complete mental restart, wipe the slate clean.

Iā€™m going to look at your sunday trad and thanks. I have 2 months to try and help my son get money together to pay for his religious mission.

Matt,

Who are you using for a broker? If you have a good broker account size shouldnā€™t matter. If your account is small go with a broker that lets you trade fractional lot sizes, like Oanda or IBFX. Either one of those would still allow you to trade with good MM even if you only had $20 or so in your account!

I donā€™t have data to back it up, but based on my experience I donā€™t think taking profit at 2R would end up being profitable. Youā€™d probably end up losing money in the long run. This method is based on pure statistics and probability, not any type of real technical analysis, so you need the big wins to make it profitable.

Iā€™d hold off trading it if your broker/account size wonā€™t let you trade it safely.

Iā€™ll do some backtests on it next week, but Iā€™m leaving for vacation in a few hours and donā€™t have time right now. :slight_smile:

Ddurrant,

Be careful if youā€™re wanting to make short-term money with this method. I can [I]almost [/I]guarantee good results over 6 months or more, but itā€™s very possible you could lose some money if youā€™re only trading this for 2 months.

Phil said

Iā€™ve scrolled back through my 3 months of data and had a positive result.
Every BE and winner on Philā€™s rules would produce a winner, every loser would likewise be a loser. At 1:2 Risk to Reward I would imagine it would prove profitable over a longer time period