Sunday Breakout Strategy

Thanks ‘s’.

I see what you mean and yes, I changed the setting to FRIDAY and it worked as you said between 0000 and 0400 GMT.

I also ran the temp indicator (thanks - I think that’s a great idea!). It worked as you’d no doubt planned, except I got a ton of eMail reports with the openning buy/SL instructions etc. I also noticed the info displayed in the top left corner was not for the current Sunday/Monday (it was for 10 weeks back - your earliest set of lines). I know you said you whipped it up pretty quickly, but thought I might as well report back anything I noticed - hope that was ok.

Re the 5 decimal place micro-pips … yes it still works, but gives figures without that being taken into account. eg. if the ATR(14) is 374.3 pips it displays it as 3743 pips. This then extends to the eMail report which could really catch someone out, where a SL is reported as 255 instead of 25.5 etc. or a huge TP of 2379 pips instead of 237.9 eg:

Buy: 1.67275, SL: 337 pips, TP: 2379 pips, BE: 1.68465, RR: 7.1
SL: 1.66938, TP: 1.69654, Buy: 1.67275

Sell: 1.66928, SL: 337 pips, TP: 2379 pips, BE: 1.65738, RR: 7.1
SL: 1.67265, TP: 1.64549, Sell: 1.66928

Thanks though very much for the quick edit to show past lines. I think this is actually important to have, so that during the week you can then see where PA is relative to the exits.

Is the indicator also meant to provide audio alerts?

Is it also meant to provide audio or eMail alerts if/when PA physically triggers the point at which the SL should be changed to BE?

Best regards, Johnny.

for audio alert, just need to put it the following code:
Alert (“Topic”);

where the email alert was placed, I think it’s there, just that it’s disabled?

I’m spending my time/efforts to debug the EA at the moment, so please feel free to modify the code of the indicator.

Thanks ‘s’, but ah … although I’ve done some programming in the past with hybrid basic (ProRealTime), I have absolutely no idea about MT4 - other than to glance over the code and make very raw assumptions ;).

Mmm, something else I found which I just need to get clarification on … you seem to have TP at the full 1 x ATR(14) amount, and the BE set at 1/2 x ATR(14).

Isn’t the system TP at 1/2 x ATR(14) and the BE change when the trade is in profit to the value of 2 x SL ?

Hi Phil, I just happened to stumble across your strategy two days ago and i was encouraged to look into it when i read how you painstakinly backtested it to 2004 and moreso, had it in an excel document.
I have also tried to read some treads and I have discovered that you have done some modifications for example the EUR/JPY you now trade. Please phil, I need you to clear some issues that are not clear to me. i know they might have been asked before but with so may threads, I think it will be much more difficult to find-
The questions are-

1. when is the Atr to be used? on sunday by 20.00Gmt or anytime?
  2. from your excel document, I have not been able to find any candle stick that matched any of the discriptions you gave especially that of the stoplosses. so I downloaded Ibfx mt4 and it solved the problem but can I use the sunday candle in my own chart(Vt trader)

3.When can one use the indicators? is it on sunday or on can it put the lines at any time?
I also want to know which ATR custom indicator to use- The one in the zip folder with your excel document or the one modiefied by s050399b?

4.Finally, I would like to know by how much you have increased your balance from January this year? Thank you so much

Hi Johnny,
With your experience with prorealtime, do you know if its possible to create a backtest of this strategy? From my limited understanding of the way it works I dont think it is possible.

As far as I know ProRealTime Backtest can only open a trade on a candle close (or following candle open), not at the point of the line break, which significantly skews backtest results.

Of course, one could go down to the 1M charts to try and get as close to the break as possible, but then you have less day’s data to backtest on!

which post and which lines of code? could u grab the code that says that?

Gee - I’m not sure what the lines of code are … I’m just looking at the results display on the MT4 chart (to the user) which show the TP and BE values. I’m referring to most recent indicators attached (including the temp one you also posted just the other day).

Cheers, Johnny.

P.S. Re ProRealTime - it’s been a long while since I coded for that but yes I’d think this would be one of the easier ones to code and from memory I think you had an option to set ‘real time’ which would allow the trade to be triggered ‘as if in real time - ie. as soon as price passes a point’. With H4 timeframe you should get excellent history too, I think I used to get 7 years worth when I back tested using the H1.

Hey tonymand, could you please post the spreadsheet you have here (in post #741)?

Thanks.

Excellent quick reference timezone table thanks!

I note this one is for Northern Hemisphere DST = ON and Southern Hemisphere DST = OFF, would have the opposite one as well with the North DST off and the South DST on?

Hey guys - especially Phil838 and s050399b,

When you speak of charts needing to be in GMT and having to have the Sunday 2000 H4candle, I’m wondering were you actually aware of the following:

I had an extensive discussion with Boston Technologies yesterday (who develop and provide the MT4 platform to [U]every[/U] broker). They advised me two important things:

1. Every broker’s MT4 platform displays the same time basis (MT4 server). Currently this is set at GMT+1 (which is of course London local time during Northern Hemisphere daylight saving time). I ‘presume’ that in October when Northern DST finishes and Souther DST starts, then you’ll find the MT4 timing will come back one hour to GMT (rather than the current GMT+1). This would indicate that the MT4 server is tied to London time, rather than GMT.

2. FXCM’s data is one of the earliest feeds into MT4 to kick off the week, and this is currently at 22:15 London time. Strangely the first H4 candle during the Northern Summer is currently showing as 21:00 and I presume that during the Northern Winter this would no doubt become 20:00.

I live in Australia for what it’s worth - so this system is a great add to the to toolbox … I just attend it on Monday morning at 10am currently (or I’m about to anyway ;)).

Cheers, Johnny.

which indicator did u use? link to the post?
if it’s the temp indicator, don’t worry about it, it’s not official, probably I’ll get into fixing that later.

So what’s the ATR 14 for gbp/usd? the high and lows are 1.6263 and 1.6207 right?

P.S is the ATR wilder and the ATR14 the same thing?

waiting for posting of GBPUSD and EURJPY entries,

hmmm, looks like phil838 is not here? hmmmm,

Oops guess I was a bit early, we have to wait for the close right so that would be 9pm EST

GBPUSD

Long Entry:1.6246
Stop:1.6207
TP:1.6438

Short Entyr:1.6197
Stop:1.6236
TP:1.6005

ATR:381

Waiting for EURJPY entries from Phil…

cprao, your values, are a little off? r u using ibfx?..

Hi, just finished my schooling & reading through some strats seeing if I understand them. Am I right in thinking you go long straight away as its currently above the high + 10?