Take profit level

Fixed pips is the easiest answer I guess !

Depends on what the strategy demands. It differs from bot to bot.

I will set profit at my nest resistance level from my markups.

1 Like

i set it at overbuy/sell level of higher time frame ,the point is ,i tp at relatively higher price ,im happy

Iā€™ve stuck to setting TP to 20 pips. If the market it moving slowly and Iā€™ve made say a 10 pip gain I might just close at that point. I might never hit the high high but Iā€™m happy with a greater number of small returns. All IMHO.

The problem I find with fixed pips is that I risk different amount of pips per trade depending on my analysis. I donā€™t think it efficient to say 20 pip take profit when I could be risking 5,7,9,10 pips.

1 Like

iā€™ve certainly known consistently profitable, successful traders who use this approach or something almost the same, and i think it has much to commend it (being basically price-action-determined)

and by the way, welcome to the forum!

i agree completely

out of everything iā€™ve ever experimented with, over the decades, ā€œfixed pipsā€ approaches have always been the very worst-performing for me

What do you think should be the right R:R for beginners if not 1:2. I seen some professionals claiming to be satisfied with 1:1.5 R:R trading in the lower time frames.

hereā€™s the question, from the beginnerā€™s perspective, with a 1:2 R:R:-

what will be the overall effect when they have a series of 30 consecutive trades, over an only slightly bad run, comprising 26 losers and 4 winners?

will they assume that their method isnā€™t working, for some reason they wonā€™t understand, and that they should stop using it and try something different, or will they assume it works as planned and that theyā€™re having an only slightly unlucky run with it?

they wonā€™t know, will they?

they lack the experience and math/stats understanding to distinguish between the two

this is a problem one must avoid

and it will happen to them, quickly or slowly, sooner or later

thatā€™s why i would recommend avoiding that problem by starting with an R:R closer to 1:1

even that will give them 8-10 consecutive losers at some point, or a series of 20 consecutive trades with 4 winners and 16 losers, even when itā€™s working perfectly well

1 Like

I would use the ATR or the ADR for the instrument that you are trading for the time frame and decide if you are seeking 50%, 75% or whatever percentage of that instrument.

1 Like

I like the standardisation that ATR brings. Its ridiculous to hear traders saying they always use, say, 50 pips to measure to their stop or TP.

As an example, 50 pips is a way bigger move on AUD/USD than it is on EUR/USD.

1 Like

Yup this is also what I do!