Take profit level

Hello traders.
Where do you usually set your take profit level? Maybe at a measured move or at previous peak in an uptrend?

4 Likes

Hi, I usually use fixed pips or atr. Regards Greg

2 Likes

How do you determine the how many fixed pips to use? How many atr multiples do you use?

2 Likes

the choice of where to set a take profit level will depend on a trader’s trading style, risk tolerance, and market analysis :thinking:

1 Like

I look for support and resistance zones in a trend market and place my T/P before losing traders close their trades or get stopped out.

3 Likes

when trading in a real account i generally use fixed pips or atr.

1 Like

always determined by price action parameters, never by “fixed pips”

decades ago, i used to multiply the ATR by 2.5 for a target, surprisingly this wasn’t terrible, but it worked out overall not nearly as well as price action determined targets

3 Likes

I have OHLC data for many time frames and currency pairs which I can use to my research.

2 Likes

this is ultimately the best answer, surely?

you need to do it whichever way works out best for you, and that means you need to know which way works out best for you, and that means you need to backtest and forward-test it to find out, and that means you need to have a huge data-set against which to test the various options

you still have to decide what to test, though

so asking what other people do is also a good idea

unfortunately price action methods, which i have found work best for me, are also the hardest to test (not impossible, but more difficult in practice, for various reasons)

1 Like

Where to take profit is the really difficult question in trading. That’s partly because even before we start to answer the question, we have all been told something and we have been told we must obey it -
your risk:reward ratio must always be better than 1:1.

But this is not always true…

2 Likes

for sure it isn’t always true

and a few thousand professional and institutional traders can vouch for that

2 Likes

Thank you. Letting go of this r:r rule is proving to be really hard for me.

2 Likes

it’s one of those things where forum/youtube/e-book opinion is radically different from professional and long-term-successful opinion

quite often in forums i even see people advising beginners not to trade with an r:r of less than 1:2, which is really horribly bad advice, especially for beginners (which of course i know you are not!)

2 Likes

you just cut my full answer, :wink: I answer all these questions. and decide what to do.

2 Likes

As far as I know, while trading in a real account it would be better to use fixed pips. On demo accounts, try everything! Maybe you can find something new and share it with us here!

1 Like

When setting my take profit level, I usually consider multiple factors, such as the current trend, market volatility, and any support or resistance levels. Depending on the situation, I may set it at a measured move or previous peak in an uptrend if it aligns with my analysis and strategy.

1 Like

I dont know flamingo. Is it really such bad advise? IMO it is easier to find a setup which works in less than 50% of times, but when it works runs more than 1R, Until now i am very happy to be given the advise to trade with a RRR of more than 1:1. And (coincidence?) 1:2 is really what works best for me. When asked i would probably give the same advise

It seems clearer to me now that r:r is integral to the strategy as a whole, and just as fewer and fewer trades will inherently run out to deliver 1:3, 1:5 or 1:10, so fewer strategies as a whole will do this. Every trader needs to test r:r on every strategy - and also on every market, i.e. every pair.

This is why i journal not only my trades with my current management, but also other management methods. Someday maybe markets will change and another method will be superior to my current management. Then i already have data to make a decision if i want to change.

1 Like

Great.
You can’t have too much data re your own trading.

As an example, I remember watching a video of a trader who was told by a colleague that all the orders he cancelled before execution went on to make excellent profits. The trader had not been tracking his cancelled orders, it had never occurred to him that this data could be useful.

2 Likes