Terrorist attack in london

I would like to know the opinions about how the market will open after the London bombings.

Too soon to ask, my friend.

London bombings? There were no bombings, although clearly a terror attack.

After what happened in Manchester, the GBP/USD market did not respond in any significant way, I also suspect this to be the case when the markets open this week.

1 Like

Here we go again! It never fails to amaze how disgustingly the only thing petty little speculators can think about following the deaths of people in the most traumatic manner is how many bucks I can make out of it! Why not ask the next-of-kin what they think. This is simply sick. We allow this kind of manure and yet…make such a big fuss about a bit of spam!

Clearly some people have no conscience whatsoever…

I actually think it’s a good question, there is no such thing as an ethical trader. You can still be an ethical person by belief, but when we operate in an industry that is driven by news headlines, public opinions and the ‘unexpected’; this is what makes the markets move rather erratically.

I wholeheartedly admit that what happened is disgusting, but, will the markets react?

If i had $100k (not notional value) on a floating position over the weekend, I would rather want to know.

Thats a big “if”

You know perfectly well that people here deal in peanuts and are looking to capitalise on people’s grief and horror - it is sick. Dont try to pretend to be the big businessman -there are limits and there is humanity, apparently, according to you, traders have neither. That is your prerogative. I think otherwise. Why DO I bother. When you have also been personally in a terrorist attack then we will talk more about “ethics” and the “need” to discuss how you can profit more from it…in the meantime I won’t contribute here any more. Carry on with your profit seekings and I wish you luck with lots of blood money.

That’s ok, and I respect your view, manxx, of which I don’t disagree with on an moral front.

I also 100% agree with the following comment

That’s not to say that I’m a terrible person, so lets not paint a picture in hast, please?

My only comment was that the business we take part in is driven by news - regardless of its severity, ethical or moral beliefs. I at no point in time support, endeavor or ‘enjoy’ the pain that others go through regarding such news.

However, giving it some thought and questioning its ramifications on the markets is quite a sensible thought.

There is a fine difference between condemning acts of social behavior and that of ignoring it.

So please, don’t make me out to be an idiot.

The above is just a childish comment, mannx… lets not lower the tone any further.

2 Likes

First of al, I want to apologize if my comment was disrespectful. I am just a beginner investor trying to understand how the external factors modifys markets. I would never try to take advantage of a misfortune . I reiterate my apologies, perhaps for inexperience. Greetings.
Traductor de Google

Oh so it is me that is lowering the tone…

OK, of course you are right - let’s just make money. But don’t forget to buy a big thankyou card telling how much you “earned” from the event and leave it among the flowers and the candles on Borough bridge, I am sure they will be pleased that no one apparently died entirely in vain…

And if you can’t tell the difference between an event and a tragedy, well…is there really nothing left that is sacred and still even a little bit beyond making a fistful of dollars.

OK so you’ve said your bit, RISKonFX and proved how great you are, let’s leave it there, you will never understand anyway. And BP allows this kind of thread to exist…

Manxx, I didn’t financially benefit or even trade the news. I also didn’t suggest this in any of my comments above - perhaps you can kindly point out where you got this information from? I am a technical trader and have been since day one, you know this also.

The question posted by the OP is however entirely valid and sensible, just like any news event. This is what I answered in my response; whilst you seem to be have the agenda of twisting my words.

Be careful what you’re saying Manxx, or at the very least what you are insinuating. Not cool.

No it wasn’t disrespectful, it was on-topic and relevant. I can also assure you that it would have been the key focus in many morning meetings around the city of London within financial organisations - you can’t ignore breaking news, regardless of its moral rights.

You can’t always keep everyone happy, this is the real world.

1 Like

This very subject was raised some years ago on BP.

A respected member reported his feelings after he realized that a position he had open had gained as a result of a terrorist attack.

After much soul searching he came to the conclusion that this type of market reaction is outside of his control.

It’s an extremely difficult topic, yes the market does react to terrorists’ acts and to tragic events - maybe to the shame of the market, it is something we all need to think about.

There was unexpected GBP buying today, perhaps that was the market’s way of showing support, or perhaps it was the market dealing with any traders who sold GBP on the back of evil.

My prayers and thoughts are for those people directly affected by this horror.

1 Like

Completely agree, and this was my point exactly, it does deserve a level of thought.

I decided not to continue on this subject out of respect for the people involved, but for many days it has haunted me how this kind conversation is justified by people in order to cleanse their own conscience - and, unfortunately, by the fact that there will no doubt be similar situations in the future.

My aim was to stifle early here discussions on how terrorist attacks are going to move the markets - and we all know that the only reason why we discuss currency movements here is to benefit from them financially through speculation. And I feel that was achieved and I am happy about that if it has also made people think twice about publicly discussing this particular angle on trading.

This is the real issue here:

Of course there are people whose jobs and responsibilities require that they follow events impacting on financial markets whatever they are. They are concerned, either directly or indirectly, with other people’s money and cannot choose whether or not to respond to events that are so traumatic as this.

But do we really believe such people come to Babypips.com for advise on such matters? Really?? Does anyone really think that is what this thread is really about??

We all know that the bulk of people here are dealing with demos and cent accounts and microlots and looking to scrape a few dollars today that will no doubt be lost again next week - and it is that which makes this kind of attempt to raise discussion about ensuing possible currency movements and, by inference, trading opportunities, together with these attempts to justify it, so sordid.

After nearly 40 years in institutional banking, portfolio management, and private trading, and, yes including the City of London, where the blackest of black humour is a form of stress alleviation rather than disrespect, and having been unfortunately personally involved in a terrorist bomb incident, my only hope that this thread will help deter others from trying to stir up discussion aimed at highlighting speculative opportunities. Are there not enough topics already to generate views without this kind of abuse even before the victims had even been identified.

At least there is one thing that I am sure can be agreed upon, this is definitely “not cool” - I just find it strange to even consider the term “cool” as a measure of value in postings that are related to such a topic as terrorism.

No doubt this will generate yet another tirade of injured pride, but I just hope people will think twice before repeating this after the inevitable future similar events - but I remain skeptical about that, afterall, making money overides just about everything.

Well, having said that, at least my conscience is now at rest, and I will leave you all and return to my place amongst the Old F_rts of the trading world and leave you in peace!

Good luckto you all, whatever you do in life and wherever it may take you! :slight_smile:

We can study the maps, learn the skills and set the sails - but which way the winds will blow is beyond our control…

1 Like

Well said Manxx.

Its one thing to post, “NFPR’s are weak, how can I make some money out of this?” but its very very different to post “There’s been a terrorist attack in London and people have died, so how can I make money out of this?”.

I know those weren’t the actual words but that was the import. Quite a dismal attitude. Very encouraging that valentina did come back and apologise, well done.

1 Like

I fully get both sides of the discussion, here, of which both are valid. But lets rewind all of these comments back to what the OP actually asked in the first place; a lot of what has been said has indeed been said really out of context in this thread.

I shall be more careful on what threads to comment on in the future :slight_smile:

And for the record, I’ve always enjoyed your comments Manxx - good luck to you too

1 Like

Also good luck Manxx.

I too am of a certain age, perhaps have a little more experience of conflict and it’s consequences.

Had GBP fallen dramatically as a result of these murders then I would have been faced with choices the next morning.

But for how long do I allow within my mind, at what point do I divorce these actions from my own actions?.

There is no answer, not least for me.

Anyways, take care Mannx :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dont think this terror attack can shake the market , especially the stable 1.
but if does, it must be a trategy.
Because they will do it more often.
So , STAY STRONG LONDON