The 10,000 Hour Rule Has Been Debunked

I still see people citing the 10,000 hour rule but that just got debunked.

I agree, you can spend 1M hours practicing something but if you don’t have the intellectual capacity or talent for it, it would be the same as practicing it for 1,000 hours.

Deliberate practice could work but again, without the mental or physical capacity, I don’t believe it will get you all that far.

A doctor friend of mine brings this up constantly. “You know how many hours of school and training I’ve been through?!?”

I’ll have to give him a read of this. Thanks!

The 10,000 hour rule certainly does not need to apply to trading. Unless you’re already 9,000 hours in and still not making a profit…

2 Likes

that goes along with passion as well. If you don’t have a passion for what you’re working on then ultimately it’s not going to work out the way you want it to. Same goes for Forex. If you don’t develop a passion for this then it’s not going to work for you. It doesn’t matter how many hours you study or demo trade.

From the article:

“Stop believing in it. Sure, practice is important. But other factors (age? intelligence? talent?) appear to play a bigger role.”

Oh dear! :scream:

That’s me done for! I’d better quit now while I still can!!! :rofl:

1 Like

Makes sense but imagine others who have failed medicine school? Some of them definitely have spent thousands of hours. Or that popular quote: “What do you call the med student who graduated with the lowest grade? A doctor.”