The American Dream: Dead or Alive?

The American Dream is the national ethos of the United States, that every person has the freedom and opportunity to succeed and attain a better life. (Bain, Brittney [Winter 2021])

The tenets of the American Dream originate from the Declaration of Independence, which states that “all men are created equal”, and have an inalienable right to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness”. (Kamp, David [April 2009])

In layman’s term, the American Dream simply tells us that if we work hard for it, we will attain (whatever) it (is). It gives us the notion that social mobility is possible, as long as we work for it. We can go from rags to riches, as long as we truly desire it and put our efforts into it.

Then, we also have naysayers like this guy:

09p90wrlvtz81

But this guy, albeit being a comedian, has some sense into such a daring statement and the same sentiments are echoed by the World Economic Forum:

Long story short, the American Dream is still alive—it’s just becoming harder to come by.
Source: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/09/social-mobility-upwards-decline-usa-us-america-economics/

Yes, the data shows a decline in the Social Mobility in the US and there may be several factors behind this: Stagnating Wages, Inflation, Income Inequality, just to name a few.

Some may see this either dimming or completely gouging their chances of getting to that coveted “American Dream”. Some say it’s more difficult, and some say it’s become downright impossible. :scream_cat:

But putting aside the social and political ills that become a catalyst to exacerbate these problems, we are left with OURSELVES.

It may be harder than how our parents and grandparents worked, but for certain, the American Dream can STILL be pursued and reached.

It’s not gonna be “met a guy on the bus on the way to my work at the gas station and this guy hired me to manage a bank”, or “met a guy who sold me a house and lot for a year’s salary”. It’s gonna be hard, but STILL possible.

When Ole Gramps Buffett gave us this quote, he was referring to the Stock Market. However, if you look at things closely, it can also refer to the ENTIRE SYSTEM OF CAPITALISM.

Capitalism is a wonderfully efficient mechanism for transferring wealth from…
…the buyer to the seller
…the served to the server
…the impatient to the patient
…the lazy to the hardworking
…the stup1d to the smart
…the loner to the connected
…the unremarkable to the famous
…the problem to the solution

So from here, we see that CAPITALISM is the KEY to the American Dream.
If we can work harder, be smarter, be better, we’ll be on the side that WINS!

But… after years of being in the markets, I can say without reserve that NOT ALL OF US ARE GONNA MAKE IT.

Yes, we all set out for the American Dream but SOME OF US WILL GO HOME WITH NOTHING.

As much as my altruistic heart wishes to SAVE EVERYONE from poverty, the harsh truth is that THERE ARE SOME BEYOND HELP OR SAVING.

There will be some WHO CAN’T LEARN or ADAPT. There will be some WHO CAN’T COMPETE. There will be some WHO WILL LOSE. There will be some WHO WILL DI3 PENNILESS.

From the movie “In Time” (2011), Henry Hamilton put it simplistically but quite eloquently when he said:

MV5BMTc3MTk4NzQyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTkyNjI5Ng@@.V1

“You really don’t know, do you? Everyone can’t live forever. Where would we put them? Why do you think there are time zones? Why do you think taxes and prices go up the same day in the ghetto? The cost of living keeps rising to make sure people keep dying. How else could there be men with a million years while most live day to day?”

For the system, society, and civilization as a whole to keep working, NOT EVERYONE SHOULD AND COULD MAKE IT

Moral of the Story:

We learned this on the First Grade: FOCUS ON YOUR OWN PAPER. The American Dream is alive but demands a heavier toll.

If and when you should find time and opportunity to help a brother or sister, then bless you soul.
But make no mistake, you can’t save the world.
It won’t make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. There will be billions that will still languish in hardship… but if you made a difference in one soul, that is reward in itself and is good for your soul. Focus on your OWN PAPER, make sure you’re ON THE WINNING TEAM, and if time and opportunity permits, do what good you can do… but don’t expect to be able to save the world… :smiley_cat:

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE AMERICAN DREAM? DEAD OR ALIVE?

Cheerio!

May you break resistances and reach new highs!

1 Like

Only you can create your reality, We only need a stable government that can create an economic infrastructure for us to succeed.

Almost every human on the planet has the same dream: to be successful.

1 Like

America, still one of the greatest countries for opportunity.

But living is expensive!

2 Likes

This was such a beautifully written post, @Imperator_KittyCat! :blush: The thought you put into this is excellent and it also made me think about the points you raised. :open_mouth:

As hard as this is to accept, I can’t help but surrender to this idea. :frowning: But, putting a more positive twist on this, maybe, some people don’t make it in some industries because they would find their success elsewhere. :thinking: It’s possible that it’s completely different from what you originally envisioned for yourself, but at times, hope is all you have. :sweat_smile:

I would like to think that it’s still alive. :open_mouth: But, with a new set of challenges compared to the challenges faced by those who originally uttered them? :thinking:

1 Like

Yes! Only we can truly create our path to success. Government, society, and the markets only serve to induce and provide a conducive environment but the bottom line is: It’s up to us! :smile_cat:

1 Like

Right on!

The opportunity is still there! It may be tougher but it’s up to us to seek it out! :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Pawesome to hear that! Thank you!

Now that’s an interesting perspective. You’re right. Success isn’t always in the financial aspect of life. I shall ponder on this a bit more on my thinking chair! :smiley_cat:

It truly is alive!

This is the kicker! We’re not given an “easy” hand to play at the table, but being at the table is a blessing in itself for it gives us the OPPORTUNITY to play our cards right. :smile_cat:

Good luck to us! :smile_cat:

1 Like