The Battle Between the Individual and the Group

Every trader behaves in accordance to their own emotional makeup. Fear, Greed, Hope and Regret drives trading behavior. We all know them! Trading the markets is a battle. The ups and downs are inevitable! Our mindset before, during, and after each battle needs to be correct. There are many discussions regarding on how to eliminate emotions with trading plans/trading systems and I have participated in my share. Some of the aspects include discipline, risk management, etc… but one behavioral perspective not talked about a lot is that people love to join groups and act like everyone else. Herd mentality… It’s such behavior that can cloud your mind. It’s human nature! How do you Traders eliminate that behavior or combat that in your trading?? All opinions welcome!

Don’t watch the business media. Never take tips. Trade by the strategy’s rules, not by discretion. Watch the broker’s sentiment indicator and preferably do the opposite.

Lol by knowing what you just stated and learning in history success weather in war, politics or investing is about being critical and independent.

Warren buffet always goes against the tide, Ackmann went against the tide in 2008 like the guys from the big short.

Thoughful thread @TradingGorrila :slight_smile:

1 Like

My perspective is based on short to midterm position trading. I find that if once I put on a trade and I’m watching prices non stop, I’m being sucked into the group. If I’m happy or sad based on a winning or losing trade I’m being sucked into the group. Making impulsive trades based on what prices are doing, I’m being sucked into the group… and I lose my independence! Groups can be powerful in nature and be responsible for massive trends so it would be beneficial to ride the coattails… but, when it comes to Turning Points, the remaining group gets Crushed. So it would be of utmost importance to analyze the group but think Independently of the group and know your Entrances and Exits! Like the song goes, “Know when to hold them, know when to fold them” … And then there is the Contrarian. If everyone else is doing it then it is wise to do the opposite… but you have to identify if the crowd has gone too far in one direction, measuring if too bullish or too bearish. These are generally the turning points. Certainly it would help if one has deep pockets to absorb risk like a Warren Buffet deep pockets lol. Basically if there are a greater number of Bulls the greater the risk of market decline. The more Bears that exist the bigger the upside.

I completely agree. Bussiness media is cancer, literally. Never trust them. They are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

People like groups as we feel more confident when we don’t need to make decisions alone. But the good traders don’t rely on other thoughts. Traders like Buffet and Soros don’t follow other strategies or groups. They use their own mind and ideas and have a great fortune.