The correct EUR/USD POSITION SIZE Formula?

I wanted to run by the Position Size formula I am using, and to make sure I am calculating my Position Size correctly

EUR/USD Example:
Account Size = $3,000
Risk per trade = 3%
Amount can risk per trade = $90

Entry = 1.3051
Stop = 1.3021
Risk on the trade ( in Pips ) = 30 pips

30 pips x .10 cents ( Micro Lot ) = $3

$90 divided by ( 30 pips x …10 cents = $3 ) = 30 micro Lots

So given this Position Size formula , you could trade 30 Micro Lots ( or 3 mini Lots ) ?

Just want to double check that i am calculating correctly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your calculation is correct. :+1:

That said, risking 3% on each trade is pretty high.

Also, 30 pips for a stop loss is really tight.

On average, EUR/USD moves between 15-20 pips in an hour, so you don’t leave much room for error for market noise.

You have to be really accurate in your entires just to avoid being whipsawed out.

Unless you have really short holding times, there’s a high probability you’ll get chopped up a lot.

And if you are holding such short trades, this means you’re limited to intraday trading, which is a deadly arena for retail traders since you’ll be battling it out with algos, some created by really smart folks with vast resources.

Lastly, you don’t mention anything about profit targets, so we don’t have any idea regarding your Reward-to-Risk (RRR) profile or R-Multiple.

Knowing your risk limit per trade is incomplete. You should know what you’re trying to gain, and if the risk you’re willing to take is worth it.

1 Like

Yes u r correct, what is the TP target, you must aim for at least 2:1

Yes, you’re calculating your position size correctly