The Cowabunga System

hi all.

Can someone clear something up for me please.

When someone says something like “looking at the 4h chart” I can select the 4 hour tab in my charting software but then I can also zoom in or out using + - buttons.

The reason I ask is that if I select the 4h chart and all data I need to zoom in a bit to see the trend over a slightly shorter timeframe or it shows me months worth.

The 4H bit means that, that is the “period” of data sampling right?

So, how long should the timeframe really be on the time axis of the chart?

For the Cowabunga (or and system really) should I let it show me a week for the main trend or just a few hours.

when you zoom with buttons are you effectively changing the timeframe and my software is just not displaying it quite right or have I not understood a dimension to the charts ?

(to illustrate why I ask, looking at GBPUSD. since the 14th there is a trend up suggesting only long trades, but zooming in a bit more to only see the last 3/4 days, its currently a down trend. I got yesterdays signal the same as the big man (pats self on back), a long trade, suggesting a wider timeframe.)

Thanks

Stewart

I got 21 pips on cowabunga today too.

could have tken 34 or so I think but I opted out when I figure the candle had pushed through the previous resistance I saw.

Here is what I saw.

11:00 GMT MACD crossover, stochastics was climbing, RSI was above 50, ( in slight dip tho)

Opened at 1.9645 closed at 1.9666 for $210

2nd go with cowabunga and that makes 50% winning traded, bigpip didn’t win on yesterday’s either tho so I feel ok about that.

Stewart

hi
i see ur system and download to it can u tell me how to implement meta trader 4

hi
i see ur system and download to it can u tell me how to implement meta trader 4

x2

I unzipped the files to C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 4\experts\indicators and then restarted MT4. Then from
tools ->options->Expert Advisors tab I make sure it is selected. I then restart MT4. Then what? I aint c nuttin.

Ok I figured it out. There is actually another thread that explains everything.

How can I display two MA on the MACD in MT4?

Hi all,
I set up MT4 and the Cowabonga indicators and alerts this weekend and it had indicated all the previous signals but there was no signal for todays, April 9, event. :frowning: Anyone else have that trouble?

Thanks,
Peter

hi,

sorry to sound newbie (which i am) but how to you implement that downloadable system on the MT4 ? thanks
the one that ybop01 offered on the first page of this thread

Copy the files to:
C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 4\experts\indicators

Then open MT4 and open a chart for GBPUSD M15. Open the Navigator and go to custom indicators. Right click on Cowabonga and click on add to chart. That should do it.

Peter

brilliant…i also found my question a couple of answers above but i didn’t see it yesterday :)…also does it only show a short signal ?..i look at the past and i see short signals no long ones

sorry …it’s just been the recent past…cause it’s a downtrend and then it only trades short

MAs are calculated on the close so they are normally attached to the price window as opposed to other indicator that calculate
on other factors and have their own “indicator window.”

Or something like that!!

whatever the real reason they usually show up as lines running along with your candles.

Once you have your chart open, just select insert,indicator,trend from the menu and set the MA at the settings for cowabunga.

Stewart

I call my tweaked strategy Kowabunga�, because it really gathers the pips to a greater power (at least in back-testing the last 2 days). I don’t have all my rules ironed out yet, but here are my thoughts:

I was looking for better entry/exit/reverse points and saw how the IB (Inside Bar) can really help identify those points, if you are willing to watch and wait for it.

I also saw where the 30MA (not EMA) on the 15min chart can identify where more entries can be made on a trend if I didn’t catch the bottom, or wanted to add to a winning position. Just make sure the trend is continuing, and not reversing - that is where the IB really helps.

I don’t mind sitting at my computer watching for signals, I’m usually up during the active time anyway.

I want to gather 200-300 pips per week. It looks like Kowabunga will do that on a very good week. But I don’t want to spend all week near the computer when I do watch the market movement, but a couple to three days will work (and give me an excuse to play games too!).

I like consistently winning (doesn’t everyone?). So I’m trying to come up with a way to really limit, if not eliminate, the losses. Where Kowabunga reports loss, I want to report at least breaking even, if not a small gain. With 20+ pip gains 80% of the time.

Just a few more rules than Kowabunga has. KISS is important! If I can’t remember all the rules, then what is the point of the strategy? I could get Kowabunga down good with the IB for entry/exit, and maybe the 30MA trending strategy. Then I can work on the reverse strategy when I’m comfortable with all that.

In back-testing, I was looking at 8-12 trades a day. But that was before I discovered the 30MA trend entry points.

ybop01, or anyone else that knows the ME4 script, I have a problem with the script ybop wrote:
4 lines:
Cowabunga GBPUSD,M15: SetIndexBuffer function must be called from custom indicator only

The problem is obvious to me, but I’m lost to the solution that will allow Kowabunga to run…

I was just looking at bigpippin’s Kowabunga record for this year and stumbled across someone wanting to trade longer with it.

Kowabunga uses 4-hour to validate a trend, while using 15 minutes to place a bid.

To keep the same tracking to enter on a daily scale, one would need to watch for the trend on a 16-day (3-week) scale, or maybe a month would be the next available scale type (15 min is 4 bars/hr * 4 hrs = 16).

To pull this back into a mid-length trade (~1-2 trades/week), one could watch the trend (originally 4-hour scale) on the daily scale, and place entries on the hourly scale (originally 15-minute).

I did a quick glance at this, and it looks very sweet. Last open entry would be on 4-11 @ 02:00 GMT depending on one’s trade style, one could enter between 1.9735-55, stop at 1.9675-700. I’d say on the hourly scale, one would likely be shooting for a 4x bigger collection, say 200 pips, but I think I like 100 pips better on this scale just glancing at it.

So it would have closed today with 100 pips before the news. Would it have been wise to hold onto this through big news to reach 200 pips?

Just realize that it could very likely leave the position open for a few days to over a week, and not very likely more than 2 trades per week.

If my info is wrong, please correct me.

[B]Hello friends,

Can anyone clarify and tell me anyone using this cowabunga system  for other currency pairs like GJ or EU etc

Babu Rao[/B]

[B]Hello babypipin,

I am implementing cowabunga system on GJ, but in this case , 4hour chart is not showing correct trend, but 1hour is showing correct trend and 15 min chart is looking same and indicating same like 1 hour chart,

so i think and planning to follow 1hour chart for GJ to find the Trend,

Any suggesions are  Welcome.

onlineearner[/B]

onlineearner,

wut platform(chart) are u using? im using metatrader…the 4hr shows the correct trade.
maybe u could post a screenie of ur chart for us better to see.

HI friend,

I am using this for GJ and for this pair, 1 hour chart is showing correctly like 15 mins chart.

I means 15mins and 1 hours charts r similar, but 4 hour chart is diff for GJ.

And I am using only marketiva platform.

U please test and clarify pls

onlineearner