The finest in trend trading - DEBUNKED

Thank you for sharing.

You are quite welcome. Please keep us apprised of your progress.

Truly simple methods are scoffed at. Complex methods are called ā€œsimpleā€ and applauded. Reality is shunned and myths are revered.

What about PRICE?

And no OPINION.

The minute you add the component price and itā€™s relationship to the OpenHighLow the mask of ā€œTrendā€ with all itā€™s intellectual compartisation falls down.

If you take the component price away you can construct anything you like to make it [trend] fit into your own little boxes & carry on intellecutualizing & opinionizing about it until the end of time.

You only have to look at above chart.

:

In defining a trend with highs and lows price is inferred if not mentiioned explicity, BUT (and thatā€™s a big but :smiley: ) the definer must pick multilple prices and see how they relate to each other. The problem of course is that different definers will pick different prices.

On the other hand if you only pick one price, open, high, low, close then there is no ambiguity.

well I guess Iā€™m stating the bleedin obvious but then I do tend to do that at times.

So much information in this forum ā€¦ Iā€™m really starting to love it.

Best Regards,
Matt Jones .

Priceā€¦ Amazing how it almost follows that angled lineā€¦

Its fair to say that entry defines risk, and that better entries can reduce risk, and improve reward. So whilst the entry trigger has an effect, and it can be optimised, its still a relatively unimportant aspect. Ironically, thereā€™s no shortage of perfectly good entry methods, theyā€™re discussed openly, and known to practically everyone. The most inexperienced new trader probably already knows more than they will ever need to know regarding entry triggers even if their research is only limited to reading a couple of threads on a trading forum.

Whilst its fair to say that a random entry, results in random risk, the same can be said for any entry trigger. It really doesnt help to think in terms of the outcome of a single trade. The average risk from a random entry over a large enough sample is anything but random, its highly predictable. Similarly, the same argument can be applied to any entry trigger.

Whilst its human nature to deconstruct problems into smaller component parts, the fundemental problem with this thread is that it doesnt particularly help to consider one element of a trading system in isolation. Its the synergistic relationships that exist between the component elements of a trading methodology that result in positive expectancy.

Over on the other thread theyā€™re looking at trendlines, dow theory, failure swing patterns, indicators, moving averages, linear regression, polynomial regression, you name it, theyā€™ll probaly come up with it, and the majority of contributors will conclude that these techniques ā€œdont workā€. I understand why they are doing it, because I did the same, I wasted YEARS testing that stuff (and despite having perfectly adequate methods, I still try to improve techniques for determining trend, and Iā€™ll probably do so until the day I die).

The truth is, it ALL works, IF they use it appropriately.

Rather than regurgitating the same simplistic nonsense that 1001 others have suggested before them, they might want to consider the issue of how they might verify if the techniques they are arging about actually work.

The posts contained within this thread are of far more practical value to anyone whose interested in trend following, and thats probably quite sad, as the people who would benefit the most are probably focussing on practical techniques being discussed in the other thread, rather than attemptingt to understand the underlying concepts.

It may be obvious to you. But that is fact is not very popular on this forum.

That angled line is drawn from the open to the current close and it replots each bar. Price doesnā€™t follow the line, [B][I]the line follows the price[/I][/B]!!

I have never seen a risk formula that includes entry price. Would you please provide one. Thank you.

The light bulb just went off!

The ā€œtrendā€ followers are really trying to be [B][I]PRICE FOLLOWERS[/I][/B] which is what a few of us do!! The ā€œtrendā€ followers are spending their time trying to define something which really doesnā€™t exist except in their own minds.

On the other hand, some of us look at precisely defined levels (open, high, low), look at where price is relative to those levels and trade accordingly. We do not feel the need to give names or labels to that which only exists in our minds.

Isnā€™t a trading forum a place to share ideas? Then why is there so much animosity amongst the traders? If you donā€™t like my ideas or methods, thatā€™s OK. If you can debunk them, then even better. There is no reason to be mean and nasty to another person because their trading ideas are different than yours.

Why is ā€œtrendā€ held with the reverence of a religious zealot? Why canā€™t the existence of ā€œtrendā€ be questioned without the questioner being hated? Why are people focusing on each other instead of the ideas being discussed?

It doesnĀ“t matter if trend is a Myth or not. The fact is that lot of traders make money using trends. In the endā€¦isnĀ“t that the purpose of trading?

I agree with you when you say that trend only exists in the mind of a trader. But if you are saying that people shouldnĀ“t trade using methods that involves trends, then I think you are wrong.

Every single pixel here is right! One bit I will spend to throw in the pot: What are markets? Markets are peopleā€™s society. Where people meet and trade. Itā€™s all about people. Think about it. :wink:

The FACT is that most traders LOSE. I donā€™t recall saying anyone shouldnā€™t use any particular method. What someone else uses to trade is their business.

I agree. Nobody will change that, because nobody is able to change the people. Plus in all honesty, the winners live out of the losers like the butchers live from the lambs. So, letz change dumb money to smart money, pray this wonderful world and thank the losers for paying our profit! Did I mention anywhere before I am misanthrope? If not, then I do it now. :smiley: Well, as long as I do not join the 95% club. :rolleyes:

Youā€™ve lost me - because you think the definition of a trend is something that it isnā€™t. Of course trend proponents are price followers! By definition a trend is:
[I]
ā€œthe general direction followed by a road, river, coastline, or the likeā€[/I]

To say a trend only exists in the mind of the trader - therefore it is a myth is really peculiar. Do you believe that the Sun trends across the sky every day? Do you trend towards getting sleepy at night?

Your logic only works at the micro level where there is no [I]perspective.
[/I]
What is ā€œperspectiveā€ when it comes to the markets? Itā€™s [B][I]timeframes[/I][/B]. Two people looking at the same timeframe can easily agree on an identifiable trend.

Does the sun trend across the sky? No. The earth spins on its axis giving the ILLUSION the sun trends across the sky.

Do I get sleepy at night? Sometimes I do and sometimes I donā€™t.

The logic works at every level.

Two people looking at the same time frame can easily [B][I]disagree [/I][/B]and thatā€™s why there is a market. One trader is buying when the other trader is selling. Without this disagreement, there can be no market.